City Vs Wigan Official Post Match Discussion Thread

fathellensbellend said:
My observations.

Tevez, although a brilliant player, currently doesnt suit the way we now play, he wants to hold onto the ball, have a little dribble, drop deep etc, yet with his substitution, the pitch opened up, the fluidity returned, and we were playing in the space between their defence and midfield.

silva was 9/10 again, quite simply the best player to have worn the city shirt, astonishingly good again.

kompany was commanding and determined to keep a clean sheet.

wigan played on clichy, aiming to get 1 against 1, and at times nearly got in.

johnson had a frustrating game, but some need to cut him some slack, a terrific option for city, who will get better and better.

ya ya, must be loving the players around him, he barely has to move, he just keeps us ticking along nicely.

another brilliant afternoons entertainment, i wish we played every day.
That just about summed it up for me too. Although at 1-0 I was a bit frustrated at all those chances missed and thinking they might sneak one...which they nearly did

Clichy was great going forward, but stood off his man when defending. Thought Tevez had a good 1st half - ignoring the pen. Not fit yet.

Silva was brilliant to watch.

maguip1 said:
I am still trying to understand why we changed a winning side as an example against Tottenham( absolutely awesome football display which in essence is what we pay for)and then a week later put out a forward line that is obviously uncomfortable working together as seen against Wigan this weekend. Personnally I would have kept the same side, provided the right combinations of Aguera, Silva, Dzeko and Nasri upfront with Barry as a vital feeder of the ball to the forwards and watched entertaining football.
The first 60 mins of this match reminded me of the City of old, no attractive football, no concept of what to do with the ball and how to break down Wigan( who played very well) except for Silva and Aguera, the rest, especially Johnson and Richards !!!!! someone explain their performance I cant.
Happy to have won the match( should have been 6- 0) but from this performance Until Nasri came on we were not Title Contenders.
An ardent City Supporter forever. maguip1

this post is drivel matey. how old are you 6?

We had over 21 shots on goal but less then a 1/3rd were on target, the players will have to improve their targetratio to something nearer 3/4 on target. I am sure that if we could have got at least another 7 or 8 shots on yarget we could have had at least another 4 or 5 goals, come the end of the season that could be vital to us. last season we missed out 2nd placebecause we scored less goals then Chelsea. I would hate it if we should lose the title because we didn't score enough goals.

jjeangi said:
fathellensbellend said:
you point to fresh legs for the last 2 goals, i would argue the teams shape was responsible.
Please explain how the team shape was altered allowing Nasri and Silva to send through balls...

to my mind, having seen the game just once in the flesh, the removal of tevez enabled aguero to step up to the plate, and to become the focal point of the attack.

the all action approach of tevez, will always thrust him into the spotlight of the action, with his substition, it afforded aguero the opportunity if you like to lead the line with his own style, so if not neccessarily a change of shape, a change of style and approach helped.

but get one thing straight, i am not knocking tevez, he has been and will be an unbelievable asset to city, but now the onus isn't on carlos quite so much as in the past, we now have players of at least equal ability, and sometimes for the benefit of the team all players will take on different roles over the course of a season.

I thought we were mentally in 3rd gear for most of the match. But the goals were beautifully crafted and on another day we could have had 6 or 7.

These matches before CL fixtures or against the big teams always have the risk of becoming a struggle. I'm not bothered about goal difference at this stage but I think Mancini will have a slight concern that Swansea and Wigan were in the game for an hour, Bolton up to the final whistle.

TBooksbluearmy said:
We had over 21 shots on goal but less then a 1/3rd were on target, the players will have to improve their targetratio to something nearer 3/4 on target. I am sure that if we could have got at least another 7 or 8 shots on yarget we could have had at least another 4 or 5 goals, come the end of the season that could be vital to us. last season we missed out 2nd placebecause we scored less goals then Chelsea. I would hate it if we should lose the title because we didn't score enough goals.
More of the same please. We were 3-0 up after 70 mins, and we played the game at walking pace for much of the time.

Aguero's finishing was top notch. Sometimes you will get games when the ball hits the bar, or it just keeps flashing wide. I don't worry about our forwards being clinical in front of goal.

Barca drew 2-2 yesterday and they are the best?

Marvin said:
TBooksbluearmy said:
More of the same please. We were 3-0 up after 70 mins, and we played the game at walking pace for much of the time.

Aguero's finishing was top notch. Sometimes you will get games when the ball hits the bar, or it just keeps flashing wide. I don't worry about our forwards being clinical in front of goal.

Barca drew 2-2 yesterday and they are the best?

exactly! its not just the score or the odd missed chance, you're always going to get days like that. its the control we had on the game as well, dictating the pace. brilliant to watch.

very nice, my first time watching city play and Aguero scores a hattrick, even got to do the poznan after the 2nd goal if im not mistaking, where we sat that was the only time all the people next to us joined in.

Hopefully it won't be too long before I can watch city play again

fathellensbellend said:
My observations.

Tevez, although a brilliant player, currently doesnt suit the way we now play, he wants to hold onto the ball, have a little dribble, drop deep etc, yet with his substitution, the pitch opened up, the fluidity returned, and we were playing in the space between their defence and midfield.
silva was 9/10 again, quite simply the best player to have worn the city shirt, astonishingly good again.

kompany was commanding and determined to keep a clean sheet.

wigan played on clichy, aiming to get 1 against 1, and at times nearly got in.

johnson had a frustrating game, but some need to cut him some slack, a terrific option for city, who will get better and better.

ya ya, must be loving the players around him, he barely has to move, he just keeps us ticking along nicely.

another brilliant afternoons entertainment, i wish we played every day.

Agree with this. Our style of play changed with him on the pitch. I didn't like it.

matsi said:
very nice, my first time watching city play and Aguero scores a hattrick, even got to do the poznan after the 2nd goal if im not mistaking, where we sat that was the only time all the people next to us joined in.

Hopefully it won't be too long before I can watch city play again
Nice to hear of people going to their first game. Nothing like it.

Hope you have many Poznans ahead of you!!! :-)<br /><br />-- Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:23 am --<br /><br />I was surprised with how well Tevez linked with everyone. I think it's true that it's a real challenge to get beyond last year's style of everyone supporting Tevez.

I think the first step is to integrate him with Ageuro. Then with Nasri and then the real puzzler is to finally link him with Dzeko. Not easy tasks but if we can manage it... wow!

The same might be true to Balotelli. I think he'll link very well with Aguero and Nasri. (In fact I think he could be the best Aguero partner over time if he stays) Linking Balotelli with Tevez too might be easier than with Dzeko.

I might be wrong but I see Dzeko as very difficult to play with. Loved by midfielders, tricksters and midgets, loathed by anyone else wanting to play as a lone striker.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.