Laporte
Stones
Fernandinho
Rodri
Sterling
Sané
De Bruyne
Aguero

Same as this except Bernardo for Sane. Sadly I don't think Stones is a top defender but if we get a top player to partner Laporte then it's an excellent team.
Ferdi
This would be my 11 and highlights why we haven't been as effective this season. How many of those players are actually playing in those positions? 3 are out injured, Fernandinho is having to play CB, Bernardo is out wide right rather than CM, Sterling wide left rather than on the right. Mendy just back from pretty much 2 years out and not back up to speed yet, Stones has had his injury problems as well which has affected his form. Sterling, Bernardo and KDB have also played a lot of football and not quite at their peak form either.

Of those not in the 11 Zinchenko, Mahrez Jesus (to al lesser extent) and Gundogan are all very good players but I'm not sure they really fit in with the way we play when we are at our best and are a step down from players they fill in for, Cancelo, Angelino and Rodri still settling in and learning Guardiola's system but so far they haven't really improved any position. Otamendi is no longer good enough and to be honest Silva and Aguero are probably past their best as well.

Still good enough to beat most teams but I think if we are to get back to our best form we need to make some tough decisions about replacing a few of the above. Silva we know is going, probably Otamendi and Bravo too, unfortunately Sane is quite possibly off as well. Personally I'd also look at moving Mahrez and Gundogan on.I miss the days of Sterling on the right and Sane on the left, I think we had more variety to our play and certainly more pace. Inverted wingers just often makes our play too slow, predictable and narrow.
You're last paragraph nailed it for me.

This is not an exact fit for this thread but I don't want to start a new one

My feeling this season is that a far bigger rebuild is required next summer as it's clear that too many key players have gone or will be going and I'm not convinced the squad will be anywhere near the level we have seen in recent seasons.

Is this probable first 11 next season good enough to sweep the opposition aside:

Ederson
Cancelo Stones Laporte Mendy
Rhodri
Mahrez Bernardo de Bruyne Sterling
Jesus

We have never replaced Yaya, Kompany going left us leaderless plus Silva going, Fern more or less a squad player at best and Aguero another year older arent great omens in my view. We need two full backs, a centre back, possibly a defensive midfielder and a striker

This is not an exact fit for this thread but I don't want to start a new one

My feeling this season is that a far bigger rebuild is required next summer as it's clear that too many key players have gone or will be going and I'm not convinced the squad will be anywhere near the level we have seen in recent seasons.

Is this probable first 11 next season good enough to sweep the opposition aside:

Ederson
Cancelo Stones Laporte Mendy
Rhodri
Mahrez Bernardo de Bruyne Sterling
Jesus

We have never replaced Yaya, Kompany going left us leaderless plus Silva going, Fern more or less a squad player at best and Aguero another year older arent great omens in my view. We need two full backs, a centre back, possibly a defensive midfielder and a striker
Some rebuilding for sure, but I feel our core group will still be competitive, but if after two more transfer windows Cancelo is our best RB we've failed somewhere, he's been well underwhelming. Walker for me has more speed, a better tackler, crosser,
and likes to get forward and can get in behind on the overlap for a diagonal through ball,
which we seem to have abandoned lately. If we happen to get someone better than Walker then great.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.