Citys best ever captain.

Are people taking the piss by saying Kompany, or are they genuinely just youngsters - in which case, that's fine.

It's funny, I thought the people saying Morrison were taking the piss. I'm 52 and can only see Book and Kompany as genuine contenders.

Yes, Morrison was a hard drinking big hard bastard who I daresay scared a few people. There's plenty like that in the lower leagues. Captaining sides to major honours requires a completely different skillset.

It's funny, I thought the people saying Morrison were taking the piss. I'm 52 and can only see Book and Kompany as genuine contenders.

Yes, Morrison was a hard drinking big hard bastard who I daresay scared a few people. There's plenty like that in the lower leagues. Captaining sides to major honours requires a completely different skillset.

I'm 51. In our lifetime, it has to be Tony Book as team Captain, but Kompany is a class act in front of 21st century 24/7 media. Just don't think Vinny has what Book had when it comes to complete respect from everyone for both his play and on/off field demeanour. Tony was old school.

Hard to say who is the best from different eras, same as it being difficult to say who is City's best ever player.

But Sam Cowan was captain when we got to back-to-back FA Cup finals in the early 30s, winning the second in 1934; Peter Doherty was our first league title winning captain; Roy Paul was captain when we got to b-2-b FA Cup finals in the mid 50s, winning the second in 1956; Tony Book was captain in our most successful era winning 4 trophies in 3 years between 1968-70; Dave Watson embodied everything about being a City fan and player and captain of the club all at the same time; Andy Morrison deserves a mention as his impact at the time relative to how good/poor we were was huge; and then Kompany.

The only thing i'll say about Kompany is that when he has a bad game his captain traits seem to go out of the window too. In Moscow last season he was just bollocking Mangala every five minutes and at one point, under no pressure, just hoofed the ball 60yards up field in what looked like a tantrum. I doubt that ever happened with Tony Book!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.