CL performance in context

Tourist since 1971

Given all the shit we have had in the media, and all the shit talked on here about our poor CL performance, I think it is worth pointing out we happened to be a group which has provided 2 of the 4 semi-finalists. On that basis realistically our best hope was to get in the 'Thursday Night Channel 5' Cup and not to get into the CL knock-out phase wasn't such a disaster.

While I would have liked us to win the Europa for silverware, the easing of the fixture list has broadly (Everton excluded) coincided with our best form of the season and left us rested and ready for the FA semi.

Of course we could have done better especially vs Ajax, but its not anything to go into mourning or meltdown about and it could help deliver our 6th FA Cup and the 3rd major trophy of the Mancini era.

kp789 said:
I agree, but still, as the reigning champions of England we should have gone through.

taking away a bent ref v ajax we may have sneaked it but let me ask how well do you think the three runners up in the prem would have faired in that group? (should the refs be honest in the case of the scum).

de niro said:
kp789 said:
I agree, but still, as the reigning champions of England we should have gone through.

taking away a bent ref v ajax we may have sneaked it but let me ask how well do you think the three runners up in the prem would have faired in that group? (should the refs be honest in the case of the scum).
Good point. Altough your dreaming talking about United having refs not favouring them. I would like to think that Ajax would have been more conservative and reserved when playing against united, however, we only have to look at how United couldn't even get out of their group last year to see that this would not have mattered.

It was a hard group no doubt. But results and performances weren't really good enough despite that.

I think most of us would have excused missing out on the knockouts if we'd been more competitive, or played closer to what we were capable of. But we were a long way from that unfortunately.

we need to play in c/l for afew more season's to build our points up
so we can get out off the group from hell
just look at the rags piss he group but get slapped when they play a good team!!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.