CL vs PL

Personally it will always be the Prem for me. Given a choice I'd always take the prem and I'd hate to sacrifice it for the CL and lose in the final ending up with nothing. The media definitely try and make out that until we win the CL we're not a great team which is true by definition but I do feel they use it more as a stick to beat us with.

We should always try to win it but it's not the most important trophy for any team.

The owners probably want us to be the best team in europe which is fair enough but most fans you speak to are more than happy with being the best team in England.

Prem all the way, there's no way (we saw it again this season) that we'll be granted a fair run at the CL. We now get decent group draws as we're good for UEFA moneymen but if we ended up playing Ajax in the final we'd be shafted..... history and all that.

The top 6 all set out to win the prem at the start of the season. It’s the most important trophy to win. The champions league is flawed. Real Madrid won it, despite finishing well of the pace in La Liga, but now are deemed as the best team in Europe, just as Liverpool would be if they won it.

The top 6 all set out to win the prem at the start of the season. It’s the most important trophy to win. The champions league is flawed. Real Madrid won it, despite finishing well of the pace in La Liga, but now are deemed as the best team in Europe, just as Liverpool would be if they won it.

I don't think anybody would consider either of them the best club in Europe just as they haven't many previous winners such as Chelsea, rags and dippers. Pretty much an impossible claim when they aren't anywhere near champions of their own country. After all, it's a knockout competition and we don't consider the winners of the FA or League cup as the best team in England.

Winners of the Champions League, yes. Champions of Europe, no.

I think from a worldwide perspective, winning the Champions League is the one that gets you the most attention. Look at the examples. Juventus have won their domestic league 7 times in a row, but they're only put up there as one of the best teams in Europe when they reach the final of the CL, and are never put in that very top tier because they haven't won it in that time. Or Bayern. They've won the Bundesliga 6 times in a row, but they've only really be considered the top team when they've been reaching CL finals and winning it. Or even this season with Barcelona and Real Madrid. Barcelona almost went the whole season unbeaten. But we have people asking whether 3rd placed Real Madrid 17 point behind them are the best team ever. Messi finished the season with 34 goals and 12 assists in the league, but Ronaldo (26 goals and 5 assists) will undoubtedly pick up the world player of the year. Of all the leagues, the Premier League is no doubt the one that gets you the most worldwide attention, but the Champions League is what the rest of the world (wrongly) consider the measure of greatness.

Having said that, Arsenal managed to get a massive worldwide following without winning it.

I think from a worldwide perspective, winning the Champions League is the one that gets you the most attention. Look at the examples. Juventus have won their domestic league 7 times in a row, but they're only put up there as one of the best teams in Europe when they reach the final of the CL, and are never put in that very top tier because they haven't won it in that time. Or Bayern. They've won the Bundesliga 6 times in a row, but they've only really be considered the top team when they've been reaching CL finals and winning it. Or even this season with Barcelona and Real Madrid. Barcelona almost went the whole season unbeaten. But we have people asking whether 3rd placed Real Madrid 17 point behind them are the best team ever. Messi finished the season with 34 goals and 12 assists in the league, but Ronaldo (26 goals and 5 assists) will undoubtedly pick up the world player of the year. Of all the leagues, the Premier League is no doubt the one that gets you the most worldwide attention, but the Champions League is what the rest of the world (wrongly) consider the measure of greatness.

Having said that, Arsenal managed to get a massive worldwide following without winning it.

^^^^^I think this is pretty much it.^^^^^
However I think nearly every City supporter will tell you they'd take the PL everytime ahead of it.
I've stated my opinion before, that rightly or wrongly, it is going to take a change in attitude from the fans before we'll be allowed win it.
UEFA lap up the whole crowd embracing their show piece, thing. They love the likes of Real and Liverpool wouldn't have got as far without the whole History/DNA crap.

So will we ever embrace it? There is no doubt it is something we have to win to get to the next step.
Waht do we do when we get there? It's where the Club want to be.

I've often pondered, would it be the end of football for me, when we finally do it and get in, or will we do it from the outside and stick it to them?
I really don't know, but I do believe it won't happen without a change of attitude.

Logically, the CL is the big one, of course we need to win it.

But on Saturday night the third best team in Spain beat the fourth best team in England.

Premier league for me and the occasional CL win to keep the owners happy and the money flowing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.