Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

A to Z of Classic Rock
The letter D

a really tough one this.
First up is Def Leppard - I saw them live during their peak years and they were brilliant. The hit single Photograph will always be in my Top Fifty and the Pyromania album still lives on vinyl.

Dream Theater I own a few CDs and love Images and Words and Octovarium. Mike Portnoy is an amazing drummer but I’m not so keen on Le Brie and Ruddess. At - their best amazing but some stuff seems mechanical and soulless. The new track The Alien sounds good.

Deep Purple - brilliant musicians and why I never got into them I don’t honestly know.

Diamond Head were the next big hope at one time. I think I’ve still got Borrowed Time and Canterbury on vinyl.

Dio - superb vocalist and Holy Diver is a classic track.

I can’t decide between DT and Leppard for top D.

others include Dan Reed Network (seen them live) , Dokken, Doors, Deftones , Dare, Danzig, Darkness.

I've mentioned this before but I spent there weeks on an early Diamond ?Head tour, my best friends' (plural) were either in the support band or acting as on of their roadies (I did much of the transit driving and did the lights - DH's lead singer thought I was better than their professional guy).

See Leppard plenty of times, both as support and headliner; including their last tour. Another story I have told is pushing Phil Collen's broken down banger up Charing Cross Road to a side street when my friends and I happened by him on a trip down to London for some gigs - he was in Girl at the time. I wasn't a fan of DL in the very early days but that had to change in 1987 when they produced one of the finest albums of its kind.

Deep Purple, well, Blackmore is God... What a pity he and Dio didn't do more work together.

Dream Theater can be superb. I've said that I lost some interest when Migthy Mike stepped away.

Purple are the top D band but all these acts get my seal of approval:

buck dharma - bit of a cult figure but one of the great rock guitarists and a fine solo album.

damn yankees - Uncle Ted goes AOR with help from Nightranger and Styx stalwarts.

danger danger - catchy hair metal

daniels, charlie - good ole boy

darkness, the - not from the era but definitely inspired by it

deep purple

def leppard

derek and the dominos - EC was here to deliver one of the gretaest rock songs ever with a bit of help from Duane Allman

derringer (rick) - check put their live album

des barres, michael - made a couple of good solo albums but his best work was with the next band

detective - their first album on Swansong produced all sorts of inaccurate rumours but was one of those shoulda been bigger releases and definitely befitted the label

diamond head

dio

dire straits

dirty knobs, the - new band, awful name but Tom Petty will be smiling down on his guitarists efforts here.

doc holliday

dokken

doobie brothers - became kings of yacht rock but they could rock

dream theater

drive by truckers - best southern rock band of the last 20 years

drive, she said - a touch of AOR

duran duran - controversial inclusion (?) but one of my guilty pleasures

dylan, bob

donnas, the - not that old but they rock

the doors - they produced a few genuine classics - remember going to see the version that toured with Ian Astbury on vocals (sadly Stewart Copeland didn't join on drums) and being a bit surprised at how young the audience was; clearly a band of lasting appeal.

Went to see my first post lockdown gig last night. Steve Hackett in Liverpool. Was fookin ace. I deliberately avoided getting tickets for the Phil Collins “real Genesis” events, simply because I knew the set list would be a disappointment, as it has been every time since the Mama Tour. Hackett did an hour of his own tunes, very enjoyable, then a virtual 2 hour set of the Seconds Out material which was immense.

His Firth of Fifth solo was sublime, and they also performed The Musical Box in full, rather than just the closing section, which was a real treat.

One new development was allowing 30 mins for the interval to give longer to access the bar, as well as allowing people to bring their drinks back into the auditorium, to spread everyone out. Getting negative covid tests in the next few days, will have made it a 100% brilliant experience, but was an excellent show regardless.

Musically I’d give it 9.5/10, only knocking 0.5 off because he introduced a saxophone player to “boost” the keyboard parts, but it just cut through in a negative way - I’m a bit marmite when it comes to sax in rock music.

Anyone else been to any classic rock gigs yet post-lockdown?

Last edited:
Went to see my first post lockdown gig last night. Steve Hackett in Liverpool. Was fookin ace. I deliberately avoided getting tickets for the Phil Collins “real Genesis” events, simply because I knew the set list would be a disappointment, as it has been every time since the Mama Tour. Hackett did an hour of his own tunes, very enjoyable, then a virtual 2 hour set of the Seconds Out material which was immense.

His Firth of Fifth solo was sublime, and they also performed The Musical Box in full, rather than just the closing section, which was a real treat.

One new development was allowing 30 mins for the interval to give longer to access the bar, as well as allowing people to bring their drinks back into the auditorium, to spread everyone out. Getting negative covid tests in the next few days, will have made it a 100% brilliant experience, but was an excellent show regardless.

Musically I’d give it 9.5/10, only knocking 0.5 off because he introduced a saxophone player to “boost” the keyboard parts, but it just cut through in a negative way - I’m a bit marmite when it comes to sax in rock music.

Anyone else been to any classic rock gigs yet post-lockdown?

Nice to know as I am seeing Hackett later in the tour.

Edit: Oh and my first post lockdown gig is set to be Genesis themselves a week from today. Bit worried about how the zombie in the chair is going to sing but the light show should be good although our seats are near the stage on the side so we won't get the full glory of that.

Last edited:
OB1 the biggest crime is that Blackmore and Coverdale didn't do more together. Burn was brilliant, Stormbringer was crap and Blackmore has made it clear that he hated it. but those two could have been fantastic together.

BTW without checking all of the 57 pages, has anybody made reference to Ian Gillan saying 'Can we have everything louder than everything else' on Made in Japan?

OB1 the biggest crime is that Blackmore and Coverdale didn't do more together. Burn was brilliant, Stormbringer was crap and Blackmore has made it clear that he hated it. but those two could have been fantastic together.

BTW without checking all of the 57 pages, has anybody made reference to Ian Gillan saying 'Can we have everything louder than everything else' on Made in Japan?

I'd have liked to have seen Coverdale and Hughes do more with Ritchie and I don't mind a rock getting funky at all but it isn't the right mix for Blackmore's guitar playing. That version of Purple could have done so much more.

On your second comment; not sure if that is tongue in cheek: the thread title refers to Gillan's famous line.

Dear Mr President. (Not for everyone admittedly, a very distinct sound)

Dream Syndicate (Technically was part of the Paisley Underground, but had a 'classic' rock sound)

Drive, She Said

Derringer (Rick)

Diving For Pearls

Ps, Dan Reed played in our house for my wife's 'big' birthday a few years ago.

Nice to know as I am seeing Hackett later in the tour.

Edit: Oh and my first post lockdown gig is set to be Genesis themselves a week from today. Bit worried about how the zombie in the chair is going to sing but the light show should be good although our seats are near the stage on the side so we won't get the full glory of that.
Ok - look forward to your gig review on here next week pal

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.