Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Why guilty pleasure?? Sparks are still a great and iconic band/duo. Looking forward to seeing them yet again at the Albert Hall next year.
At the time of the release based on the music I listened to with the friend base I had, believe me they were a guilty secret.

You included two of my favourites, Roy Bittan and Mike Garson. I would also propose Steve Winwood, and the wonderful Ray Manzarek who was so integral to the Doors sound. Rod Argent was ok and how about Bruce Hornsby and Dave Greenslade worth a mention just for the Roger Dean album covers.

Bruce Hornsby must have a shout for the best piano player of all time and his accordion isn't bad either.

Fun fact: I once sang on stage with Bruce Hornsby.

I have been very lucky in my gig attending history.

I saw Rick Wakeman with Yes at New Bingley Hall Stafford in 1977.

I've seen Jon Lord a three times, once with Whitesnake and twice with Deep Purple 1974, 1981 and 1985. I saw Mike Garson with David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust in Blackburn 1973 and Don Airey a couple of times with Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow 1980....I think .

I also saw Keith Emerson with ELP 1974 in Liverpool with Rammyblues who was a marine engineer cadet in Liverpool at that time. He also introduced me to the World of bootlegs which you could buy from a few shops notably Probe records in Liverpool at that time.

My favourite Jon Lord but they are all mighty fine musicians and only a fag paper between them.

I went to that Yes gig. Seen Rick with various Yes incarnations a few times since then.

Saw Lord with Whitesnake and several times with Purple but all post the MkII reunion.

Wish I had seen the Ziggy tour but I have seen Garson with Bowie and playing Bowie music, I think.

Saw ELP once, in the 90's.

Not sure how many times I've seen Airey but 5 times on one Rainbow tour for starters; saw him with Purple a few years back. Bought his last solo album very recently and it is good, it is a rock album with a band in the tradition of Purple/Rainbow.

'Rock' keyboards....for me...

Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard

Jimmy Smith
Jackie Mittoo
Earl Van Dyke

Dave Greenfield
Ian Stewart

No prog rock classicists for me..

I went to that Yes gig. Seen Rick with various Yes incarnations a few times since then.

Saw Lord with Whitesnake and several times with Purple but all post the MkII reunion.

Wish I had seen the Ziggy tour but I have seen Garson with Bowie and playing Bowie music, I think.

Saw ELP once, in the 90's.

Not sure how many times I've seen Airey but 5 times on one Rainbow tour for starters; saw him with Purple a few years back. Bought his last solo album very recently and it is good, it is a rock album with a band in the tradition of Purple/Rainbow.

We were so lucky being able to see all these artists back in the day, and I know I thought it would go on forever. I remember both me and my mate not being able to go to Knebworth 1979 (both dates) as we couldn't get time off work together. We knew Zeppelin had a European and North American tour planned for 1980, unfortunately Bonham died after some warm up shows in Rotterdam I think. The image I remember of Bowie as Ziggy from that gig I went to in King Georges Hall Blackburn was for a couple of numbers he wore nothing but a pink jockstrap...lol me and my mate saw a couple of Rainbow gigs with Don Airey/Graham Bonnet Manchester Apollo and Stafford Bingley Hall. They really were halcyon days, going to gigs after watching City on a Saturday afternoon was fantastic. No wife no mortgage no responsibilities.

We were so lucky being able to see all these artists back in the day, and I know I thought it would go on forever. I remember both me and my mate not being able to go to Knebworth 1979 (both dates) as we couldn't get time off work together. We knew Zeppelin had a European and North American tour planned for 1980, unfortunately Bonham died after some warm up shows in Rotterdam I think. The image I remember of Bowie as Ziggy from that gig I went to in King Georges Hall Blackburn was for a couple of numbers he wore nothing but a pink jockstrap...lol me and my mate saw a couple of Rainbow gigs with Don Airey/Graham Bonnet Manchester Apollo and Stafford Bingley Hall. They really were halcyon days, going to gigs after watching City on a Saturday afternoon was fantastic. No wife no mortgage no responsibilities.

I made the first Knebworth gig; the only time I saw Zep. Their last gig was on Berlin; it's the only bootleg cd that I own.

I was at Uni for that Rainbow tour, hence the five gigs (incl. Apollo & Bingley). Not that I ever did that many dates for any other tour but Blackmore is my favourite guitarist and every gig was different (he smashed two guitars at Leicester). Second most was for my second favourite guitarist: saw four nights of Van Halen's 1980 Invasion tour.

They were great days and I do believe we got very lucky with the music and bands on offer in those days.

I made the first Knebworth gig; the only time I saw Zep. Their last gig was on Berlin; it's the only bootleg cd that I own.

I was at Uni for that Rainbow tour, hence the five gigs (incl. Apollo & Bingley). Not that I ever did that many dates for any other tour but Blackmore is my favourite guitarist and every gig was different (he smashed two guitars at Leicester). Second most was for my second favourite guitarist: saw four nights of Van Halen's 1980 Invasion tour.

They were great days and I do believe we got very lucky with the music and bands on offer in those days.
Likewise Blackmore is my favourite all time guitarists. I was lucky I saw MK3 Purple in 1974 at Preston Guildhall, and then in 1985 on the MK 2 reunion tour at the NEC Birmingham. Again I managed to get to the Dio Rainbow in 1977 at Empire Theatre Liverpool. Happy days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.