Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Noticed that the Ford Kuga advert has the obscure track Four Horsemen by Aphrodites Child on it.

Reactions: OB1
Any fans of the Moody blues, core 7 albums ?
I play them regularly really nice music in my opinion and one of my favourite all-time bands.
Sadly gave up making albums years ago after the loss of Mike Pinder and Ray Thomas.
By no means my era of music, but yes I appreciate them and enjoy their music. I also like the Blue Jays album (Justin Hayward and John Lodge) with a bit of 10cc thrown.

In later life, my fondness for Tull has grown and grown. I first saw them back in 1977 - day after Lynyrd Skynyrd - and had Aqualung and Bursting Out on vinyl but I think I've now got all their albums, including box set versions of six of them. Shame Ian's voice is shot.
Me as well. Have always listened a lot, but more of a go to lately. The last time I saw them was '07 and Ian was struggling mightily on the high notes then, but a very good show none the less.
Really was surprised when they played one of my dark horse songs, Dun Ringill.
Not classic rock, but enjoyable.

Last edited:
Reactions: OB1
Nothing produced after 1975.

Classic Rock: Inside the circle of appreciation:

Yes
Genesis (up to then there were three)
ELP
Jethro Tull
The Who (up to Quadraphenia)
Led Zeppelin
Free
Family
The Stones (exempt from 1975 rule)
Kate Bush (also exempt as she is truly wonderful)
Nirvana (ok I know)
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Doors
The Beatles (sometimes)
The Small Faces
Cream
Peter Green Fleetwood Mac
probably the odd other band I have forgotten Oh, King Crimson defo.

Outside the circle of appreciation:
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple (other than a handful of tracks)
Marillion (retches)
U2
Bad Co.
Pink Floyd (the Coldplay of their time)
Any Guns n' Iron Maiden kind of crap.
Fleetwood Mac after Peter Green
Phil Collins
The Beatles (sometimes).
Any American crap like t Eagles

I have left out solo acts like Bowie and Lou.

I am, as ever, a man of 1000 prejudices.
Fair play for trying to map out some boundaries, but did you just compare Pink Floyd to Coldplay?

Fair play for trying to map out some boundaries, but did you just compare Pink Floyd to Coldplay?
yeah, i was in a 'controversial' kind of mood yesterday to see how many I could offend. As it turns out, not that many really :-).

I like Pink Floyd well enough. Still play a couple of their albums. Have seen them live and Oz PF a couple of times. I have a deeper love for other bands though.

Stick inside the circle;
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
I’d definitely add Floyd although I think they are timeless and probably my favourites, nowhere near as bland as Coldplay, so take that back.

Pretty much agree with everything else.

Id probably add a ton of other lesser known stuff from 1970-1975 as part of this cache whether I was particularly into it or not.

Wishbone Ash
Frampton
Home
Argent. (Maybe)
Ellis. (Listen to El Doomo)
Steve Hillage (Maybe more new age hippie than classic)

This thread is basically all the stuff I was listening to from mid seventies into the 1980’s even through punk and new wave, until Talking Heads came along and broadened my horizons.

It started with an obsession with everything Yes related, that got me out of listening to whatever was on the pop charts i.e. Abba etc.
I also played Made in Japan to death. The odd thing now is most of these bands are not something I return to much now as it doesn’t have the same meaning to me as when I was 14/15/16 years old.

Whereas the likes of Rory Gallagher from the same era is something that I find every bit as exciting now. Live in particular he just gets the juices flowing. But I wouldn’t have him in the same category as most of these bands.
Surely any list isn't worth writing without the inclusion of Rory............. ;-)

Thank you OB1
I’ll definitely be a regular contributor.
And for you Bill - did you know Yes have released the following track from new album”The Quest”. It sounds better than anything on the woeful Heaven and Earth.

Hi mate Yes I was aware but to me Yes aren't Yes anymore sadly.
Tribute band.

Bands like Budgie, Nazareth and Heep were the lesser lights at the time, but came up with some fine albums and concert performances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.