Club vs country *Poll Added*

Who do you follow/support more passionately?

• Total voters
It’s just cool to hate your own national team nowadays - probably because club tribal mentality and some fans can’t handle a rivals player playing for England , also it’s an easy option to hate on England , unlikely to win a major tournament because, well, it’s bloody hard … so play safe and keep repeating ‘this manager (whoever it is) won’t win anything for England, we’re rubbish, the FA are corrupt’ bla bla

But West Ham won the World Cup, Sprit of '66 or the Blitz, Three Lions. bla bla bla bla. Club Football has more appeal.

Last edited:
Lost the love for England after being force fed the poster boy love ins with Terry, Cole, Rio, Gerrard and Rooney. Good footballers no doubt but I would have been embarrassed to see them lifting a cup in my countries name. Ok, well mainly Terry and Rooney on that one

I think that the emergence of the so called top 4 and the players associated with that, the media evolved into something akin to fanboyism for these favoured players, maybe even the fa fell for it too. Play a blinder for a lower placed team and get ignored, sub appearance for United and it's off to the world cup with you. Cheating on your teammates with their wives and girlfriends? No fear, the England captaincy is a get out of jail free card apparently.

Had hopes that Southgate would look past all that, and to be fair maybe he has in some ways. But the national team still lacks any kind of identity, and the rift continuing to be pushed by the media in alienating city fans from the mainstream makes it hard for me to feel I can get behind them being wishing our lads play well and stay injury free. Plus there is the whole siege mentality thing - the media have created this whole bad and good narrative around city, and at least I know which side of it I am on and who is the enemy. With England it now feels like the media are wolves in sheep's clothing, just waiting for a Grealish, Foden or Sterling slip up.

Whereas for City I'm bonkers. I check City news several times a day, watch old matches daily and am impatient for our next game to come around.

It’s just cool to hate your own national team nowadays - probably because club tribal mentality and some fans can’t handle a rivals player playing for England , also it’s an easy option to hate on England , unlikely to win a major tournament because, well, it’s bloody hard … so play safe and keep repeating ‘this manager (whoever it is) won’t win anything for England, we’re rubbish, the FA are corrupt’ bla bla
I don't think people hate their national team. They just naturally prefer their league team.

What did you vote as a matter of interest ?

I didnt vote , pointless when I saw the title as I know vast majority will go for club and see it as a opportunity to post cliché hate for their national side - will always be this way

I got a season ticket and follow hammers but equally when England are playing in major tournaments (not fussed friendlies/nations league) then I love to support them also

I got a season ticket and follow hammers but equally when England are playing in major tournaments (not fussed friendlies/nations league) then I love to support them also
So probably the same as the majority here then ? I'm not sure I'd use the term "love", but hey ho, always my biggest interest is in our players, and not getting injured too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.