Club World Cup, are you against or for it?

Thoroughly against. Even the Champions League you have to finish in the top 4, and I'd rather that fucked off as well. Driven purely by greed - Nothing at all to do with competition or a love of football.

With something like this the organisers either have a simple merit based entry system or entry is by invitation which inevitably skewed towards certain clubs - of whom we are probably now one. £100m is being put into this on the basis that the tv rights will exceed that sum. And that seems to me to rule out a merit based system because if you are putting that sort of money in, you done want to risk one of your games being Lyon v Leicester.

I would for that reason be against, save for the fact that anything that weakens UEFAs hand is A Good Thing.

So on balance I’m for.

It’s wrong on the most important level so it’s a big no from me.

There’s a word missing out of the OP’s post:

Basically a World Cup for SELECTED clubs.

My idea for a real World Club competition is as follows:

There’s 6 confederations, 2 from each (For UEFA, CL and Europa winners) split into 2 groups of six. Play each other once, 2 home, 2 away 1 on a neutral continent. Top 2 from each group play top 2 from other group, 1 off semi final neutral again. Final at pre- determined venue.

To get a global reach the neutral venues could be Hong Kong, Japan, Australia, UAE, USA or wherever FIFA wants to broaden the game.

The 2 teams do not play CL that season but the CL winner gets qualification for the season after (cos they replace the next winner who is in this cup instead). Likewise EL winner goes back into EL if not qualified for CL on their own merit. (Club retains the club coefficient )

Yes, it’s a lot of travelling as only 2 games are at home and we’d get a tough away game before and after knowing our luck, but if they are insistent on this then this is a fairer option.

tenor.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.