Clubbing around Manchester, late 80's

Clubbing in Manchester was a soul-detroying, spirit-crushing experience in the 80s, until the Acid House explosion in 88.

Suit jackets, ties and jeans, tacky sticky clubs, horrible soulless pop, gangs of lads, fighting and chatting up girls while quaffing warm flat lager you queued up for 10 minutes to get. Sometimes you almost wished the blood on the pavement in the taxi queue was yours.

Then BANG along came Ecstasy and House Music. The lives of all of us were changed. The Hac, Konspiricy, The Thumderdrome, Most Excellent...and the warehouse parties.

Suddenly every Saturday was the best night of your life.

To be young in the late 80s was indeed very heaven.

but thats all we had and we wuz happy!
we were young, suited and booted and had a few quid on our hips

my more "happy" clubbing days started about 89, until then it was as you say.

The Brookfield (later Brookers) on the A6 in Stockport epitomised the era. You might get hold of some slapper in white heels/you might get a pot bounce off your head.

Re: Clubbing around Manchester, early 80's

Loved the Hacienda Pre Rave as well, some great nights, very eclectic music

simonk said:

The Brookfield (later Brookers) on the A6 in Stockport epitomised the era. You might get hold of some slapper in white heels/you might get a pot bounce off your head.

Oi! Less of the slapper! I was a Brookers regular, and those white stilettos were very classy back in the day, I'll have you know. Cost me a fortune from Winfields of Haslingden.

I recall dodging many a flying glass there (Brookers, not Winfields) but I reckon the White Lion was much worse...

simonk said:

The Brookfield.

wasn't that you know who's hang out?

I was a 70's/80's kid

I used to go Tiffanys, Fagins, Placemate 7, Rotters, pips, Rafters, Kloisters, Genevieves, Belle Vue, Saturdays, Fridays, Sachas, The Conti, The Hacienda (gigs: The Pogues, Big Audio Dynamite etc) Bier Keller, Pierots, Cellar vie 1 and 2, The John Bull (lots of blues), The Cyprus, Manhattan Sound, Valley Lodge, Papas (yak), Piccadilly Club, Brahms, Rowntrees sound, Jackies, Ardri

OH EVERYWHERE!

Its all on MDMA : Manchester District Music Archive

Memories. Football and clubs. What a life.

Early to mid 80's Mersey Lights and Valentines in Chorlton, Strawberrys, Legends, Fennels/Thursdays, Cypro, Reno, great times , but as DD pointed out Manchester was a very violent place to be back then (all night bus station at Piccadilly!)
Mid 80's to early 90's International, Midland in Dids (MVITA), Man Alive, Banshee, Kitchen and Epping Walk Hulme, Hac, Home, Boardwalk, Number1 etc etc.
These were unbelievable days, all of a sudden Manchester was the coolest place on the planet and all the student birds in Fallowfield were up for a shag off the locals!

Didsbury Dave said:
Clubbing in Manchester was a soul-detroying, spirit-crushing experience in the 80s, until the Acid House explosion in 88.

Suit jackets, ties and jeans, tacky sticky clubs, horrible soulless pop, gangs of lads, fighting and chatting up girls while quaffing warm flat lager you queued up for 10 minutes to get. Sometimes you almost wished the blood on the pavement in the taxi queue was yours.

Then BANG along came Ecstasy and House Music. The lives of all of us were changed. The Hac, Konspiricy, The Thumderdrome, Most Excellent...and the warehouse parties.

Suddenly every Saturday was the best night of your life.

To be young in the late 80s was indeed very heaven.

You can add Home,Boardwalk,wiggly worm, Number 1 club (Gay club)and Precinct 13 to that list,did a lot of gurning and chewing my lip in them days.No idiots trying to kick it off cos you bumped into them and spilt some of their pint,or you gave their misses a second glance.

Used to do Wigan Pier on a Friday night till we got banned,don`t try and sort out your toffees in the bogs i suppose.

The misses says i need to move on,still listening to all the late 80s early 90s house music.No way am i moving on,it`s ageless the music from that era.Miles better than the crap thats about now,i`d ban R&B for starters.

the kippax wall said:
Early to mid 80's Mersey Lights and Valentines in Chorlton, Strawberrys, Legends, Fennels/Thursdays, Cypro, Reno, great times , but as DD pointed out Manchester was a very violent place to be back then (all night bus station at Piccadilly!)
Mid 80's to early 90's International, Midland in Dids (MVITA), Man Alive, Banshee, Kitchen and Epping Walk Hulme, Hac, Home, Boardwalk, Number1 etc etc.
These were unbelievable days, all of a sudden Manchester was the coolest place on the planet and all the student birds in Fallowfield were up for a shag off the locals!

I remember when it was the Snooty Fox aswell, always remember that area as my mates Mam died crossing the road there, pretty sure that`s why all thoughs traffic lights etc are there now.

Manchester really did go through a rough patch, especially from around 1980 to the later 80`s, just always remember having to constantly watch your back when you were out and even going to buy clothes in the day I remember having to skulk around the back streets trying to make my way to the Underground and Arndale, there was always a few little `teams` out ready to try and relieve you of your money, I was a little skinny f*cker back then, but at least I could shift like sh1t off a shovel and never got caught.

I remember all of those places in Manchester, each club had their own special night.. but what sticks in my mind the most, is those horrible plastic pint pots.. they were so flimsy that you could only carry two at a time..and the beer tasted shite.

Elvis sings theBlues said:
this is all a bit town centric for me, lets get rural

Shades and Grays in Stalybridge

Cherries in Droylsden

The Old Barn in Ashton

Jeckells in Hyde

and the unforgetable Blitz, which was basically a portacabin opposite Glossop Caravans, quality birds in there ......not!

Were you stalking me in 88-89, went to all the same places plus think it was called oldham batteries or something in denton

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.