Clubs furloughing staff

bluethrunthru

Bull by the horns

Yes I think its wrong for wealthy clubs to expect the tax payer to pick up the bill. Yes I agree PL clubs and players are behind the European curve on agreeing pay cuts/freezes to help out staff at their clubs rather than expect you and me to help out.

However -

why single football out? Lewis Hamilton, Tyson Fury...there are plenty of well paid sports people. What about CEO's of huge firms, bankers earning like footballers and so on? They are getting a free ride so far. Also I feel that politicians jumping on the bandwagon is part of an orchestrated diversionary tactic to be honest.

How's about everyone on more than say £100k p.a. who isn't furloughed pays 3 months salary into a fund to help others out ...I'd bet quite a few journalists and editors would take issue with that.

Hancock calling them out saying players need to be doing more didn’t sit right with me. They can certainly survive without pay, for loner than virtually anybody else alive and should do so if the clubs have money issues but there shouldn’t be pressure on anybody, players or general public to give to charities as he seemed to suggest.

if they choose to donate like Pep and Gundogan for example then fair play to them and they deserve praise and credit, it shows they’re thoroughly decent humans in the overwhelming minority who are living in a bubble world where a lot of them are quite simply twats purely because it’s the environment they’ve grown up and lived in all their life. they’re given untold riches from ages where they’re still kids, given celebrity status , told how amazing they are, adored by millions and surrounded by likeminded people, i imagine it’s difficult to remain grounded and in touch with the rest of us in that world so fair play to the few that are, they deserve praise rather than criticising the rest.

As for the clubs furloughing staff, that’s utterly shameful, a blatant abuse of the system and if you had to name a club likely to do it before it happened, Levy’s Tottenham and Ashley’s Newcastle would have been 1 and 2 on nearly everybody’s list. When all this is eventually over with and we return to some semblance of normality I hope the world doesn’t forget what they’ve done.

why single football out? Lewis Hamilton, Tyson Fury...there are plenty of well paid sports people.
Most sports people only get paid when they work though, so most have already taken a pay cut without having any choice in the matter. Tyson Fury's not going to be having a fight any time soon. It's just luck that his big fight happened before the lockdown, otherwise he could have lost almost his entire pay for the year. If the Mercedes F1 team start asking for government handouts to pay their lower-paid staff while continuing to pay Lewis Hamilton a salary, then you'll have a point. I'm not sure how F1 works though. Does Hamilton get paid a salary or does he get paid per race? Also sponsorships might depend on how they're arranged. Chances are if the season is cut short, sports people will already be losing part of their sponsorship money because they won't be wearing the clothes or promoting the products during the lockdown.

I notice Hancock had nothing to say about Philip Green who immediately the crisis began stopped paying a penny into any of the Arcadia group pension funds.

On the face of it when Joe Lewis at Spurs is worth £4bn, then I think it's ridiculous to put the onus on the Govt to pay staff via the Furlough scheme.
However many, if not all these people, have stakes in numerous corporations so it's a case of which one(s) are they expected to subsidise.

Hancock calling them out saying players need to be doing more didn’t sit right with me. They can certainly survive without pay, for loner than virtually anybody else alive and should do so if the clubs have money issues but there shouldn’t be pressure on anybody, players or general public to give to charities as he seemed to suggest.

if they choose to donate like Pep and Gundogan for example then fair play to them and they deserve praise and credit, it shows they’re thoroughly decent humans in the overwhelming minority who are living in a bubble world where a lot of them are quite simply twats purely because it’s the environment they’ve grown up and lived in all their life. they’re given untold riches from ages where they’re still kids, given celebrity status , told how amazing they are, adored by millions and surrounded by likeminded people, i imagine it’s difficult to remain grounded and in touch with the rest of us in that world so fair play to the few that are, they deserve praise rather than criticising the rest.

As for the clubs furloughing staff, that’s utterly shameful, a blatant abuse of the system and if you had to name a club likely to do it before it happened, Levy’s Tottenham and Ashley’s Newcastle would have been 1 and 2 on nearly everybody’s list. When all this is eventually over with and we return to some semblance of normality I hope the world doesn’t forget what they’ve done.
They'll be a few people who'll have their day of reckoning when this is over.

£100k and over? Are you mental?

ps, Lewis Hamilton isn’t a UK resident so not sure why you included him anymore than including Tom Brady.

My issue with clubs furloughing some staff, who they are saying there is no work for them to do (presume that's the reason as otherwise should be paid by club) is that why are they not doing it for the players, as clearly they have no work to do at the moment either. Different rules for different employees

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.