Coffee Machines

Having used a moka pot for most of my adult life, I was lucky enough to get hold of a used Gaggia Classic expresso machine at a bargain price. It left me with enough to buy a proper grinder (Eureka Mignon Specialita), and a fine morning coffee is a real treat.

Fresh beans are a great adventure, and I have had some lovely stuff from https://algeriancoffeestores.com/ and https://thecoffeehopper.com/locations/the-shop/

For something less expensive, and more of an everyday bean, I really enjoy the Lidl Expresso blend beans (red packet, Belleron, I think).

As much as the taste, the preparation is part of a lovely ritual. I liken it to the joy of playing vinyl - the cleaning, balancing, choosing, etc, even when streaming is so convenient.
I purchased a second hand Gaggia Classic and gave it a good clean (and I needed to change the solenoid valve - easy job).

There's a tweak you can do on the pressure (and I did this so long ago I've forgotten what it was but involved turning a the pressure slightly - I need to find out what this is as I have another Gaggia Classic now after a friend gave me his old one as he never used it - passing mine onto a mate).

Definitely a case of grinder > good beans (there are soooo many decent roasters out there) > then your machine of choice. I use an aeropress occasionally as it gives a nice clean pour.

Haven't used pour overs but may invest. I also have a Moka Pot, a Vietnamese Phi and a filter machine (all cheapies).

But agree - the ritual is part of it. I do this to take a break. The grind, the epsressing and the milk frothing to knock out a very decent flat white (in those Japanese Kinto mugs which are a beaut).
It's as good as I get from the Coffee shops in Manchester, but lots of variables and I need to step up my game somewhat.
Naked filter next.

I missed it so much after the classic went kaput and wasn't in the frame of mind to fix at the time so it went out of sight (until my aforementioned friend gave me his).

Currently on some Origin Coffee from Cornwall.
Here's a Q though: Has anyone managed to create good latte art with the Gaggia Classic (and I changed the wand)?
Never nailed it....and of course, I blame the tool rather than myself.

I purchased a second hand Gaggia Classic and gave it a good clean (and I needed to change the solenoid valve - easy job).

There's a tweak you can do on the pressure (and I did this so long ago I've forgotten what it was but involved turning a the pressure slightly - I need to find out what this is as I have another Gaggia Classic now after a friend gave me his old one as he never used it - passing mine onto a mate).

Definitely a case of grinder > good beans (there are soooo many decent roasters out there) > then your machine of choice. I use an aeropress occasionally as it gives a nice clean pour.

Haven't used pour overs but may invest. I also have a Moka Pot, a Vietnamese Phi and a filter machine (all cheapies).

But agree - the ritual is part of it. I do this to take a break. The grind, the epsressing and the milk frothing to knock out a very decent flat white (in those Japanese Kinto mugs which are a beaut).
It's as good as I get from the Coffee shops in Manchester, but lots of variables and I need to step up my game somewhat.
Naked filter next.

I missed it so much after the classic went kaput and wasn't in the frame of mind to fix at the time so it went out of sight (until my aforementioned friend gave me his).

Currently on some Origin Coffee from Cornwall.
Here's a Q though: Has anyone managed to create good latte art with the Gaggia Classic (and I changed the wand)?
Never nailed it....and of course, I blame the tool rather than myself.
I swapped the original steam wand on my Deloghi Dedica for a Rancilio Silvia steam wand. It takes a bit of work to nail the technique, but it's just practice.

There are 2-stages to getting silky steamed milk - putting the air in, and then churning the milk down to fine bubbles. Too often people will spend too long getting the air in and then end up overheating the milk trying to get it smooth and silky.

Aeropress are good for what they are, but people often believe they can make espresso when they can't. It more of an infusion brewing technique than a pumped espresso technique.

You can certainly make very decent coffee with an Aeropress though. There are some really good recipes/techniques out there.

Yep i used AeroPress at work, makes nice coffee but IMO its not something you wanna be doing at home every day if you're a big coffee drinker.

Never had much luck with proper coffee machines. Owned an Italian Pavoni, Swiss Jura and one I can't remember, all £500 + mark, more than my car worth, all broke down in a couple of years and needed constant maintenance.

Stick to cafetiere at home now.

I swapped the original steam wand on my Deloghi Dedica for a Rancilio Silvia steam wand. It takes a bit of work to nail the technique, but it's just practice.

There are 2-stages to getting silky steamed milk - putting the air in, and then churning the milk down to fine bubbles. Too often people will spend too long getting the air in and then end up overheating the milk trying to get it smooth and silky.
Yes - I too managed to swap out for a Rancilio Silva.
Good sign the coffee shop you've been too is doing some of right if the coffee is warm enough to enjoy rather than scalding.
The analogy to getting the milk like gloss paint is a very good one.

It's the pouring of the foam I've never quite mastered. I'l dig out a pic to vlsuakise my best efforts.
May be the size of the cup too (a flat white 6/7 oz cup), the machine's perfect foaming capabilities....or just me.

Yes - I too managed to swap out for a Rancilio Silva.
Good sign the coffee shop you've been too is doing some of right if the coffee is warm enough to enjoy rather than scalding.
The analogy to getting the milk like gloss paint is a very good one.

It's the pouring of the foam I've never quite mastered. I'l dig out a pic to vlsuakise my best efforts.
May be the size of the cup too (a flat white 6/7 oz cup), the machine's perfect foaming capabilities....or just me.
This is the flat white I've just knocked up.

(6oz cup using 80ml of milk in a 4oz jug).20230512_160629.jpg

This is the flat white I've just knocked up.

(6oz cup using 80ml of milk in a 4oz jug).View attachment 78718
Yeah, that looks like mine (though mine sometimes accidentally end up as 'jizzing cocks').
Still haven't nailed that decent latte art the coffee shops knock out with ease. Still convinced it's my machine rather than anything else.
Maybe I should do a coffee course (genuinely btw....I think I'd enjoy it).
Looks lovely btw. I look forward to my pulls every morning (you can head that one in easily) ;)

I use a Delonghi Dedica EC685 modified with a Rancilio Silvia steam wand., and a single wall, precision double basket (normally around 14-16g dose, 1:2 ratio).

I also use a Sage Dose Control Pro grinder.

It's a fair bit of a faff to 'dial in' the espresso if I change beans, but once it's set I get a consitdecently balanced and sweet espresso shot.

Attachments

• 5B014292-2FF3-4388-8EC7-0BD7D3CA6771.jpeg
    5B014292-2FF3-4388-8EC7-0BD7D3CA6771.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 8

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.