Cole Palmer

Good luck to him.

Sad to see him go because he's one of us but, in all honesty, personally, I never really saw the big deal. He's clever enough in possession and looks dangerous enough when he cuts in on his left into some space. He understood Pep's methods well enough. But he was also really limited compared to where Foden was at the same age and he's never really showed that he might become anything more than a decent prospect. Still gets shrugged off the ball too easily, doesn't have the nous yet to make up for his lack of pace, pretty indecisive when he's in sight of the penalty area.

Obviously all players progress differently but 13 senior career starts at the age of 21 isn't anywhere near enough - he's running out of time to deliver on his potential. By this stage Foden was playing a starring role in a Premier League-winning side that was reaching the latter stages of the Champions League. Palmer's still at the stage where he needs one of Foden, Grealish, Bernardo, etc. to get injured so he can have a proper run. Now Doku's come in I don't really see where he gets a chance.

Don't really see how going to Chelsea gives him more of a chance of regular football either - think he'd be more suited to places like Brighton, Fulham, West Ham, etc. Big clubs with smaller squads who might need him a bit more. Chelsea have got so many wide forwards already - Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke, Jackson, Washington, Nkunku - so where does he fit? Hope it works out for him but I honestly can't believe we've just got £45m for him when, at best, I thought he was gonna go for about half that or head out on loan to somewhere mid-table.

Last edited:
Its a great deal for us, £42.5m! Crazy cash. He's not got Foden potential and I don't think he'd ever be anything more than a squad player here.

The Chelsea move is bizarre though. They've got a huge squad, so not sure he'll play much more there either. We shall see.

And City are going to play 60 games this season, Chelsea probably around 45. He would definitely have got games for us, but if he has a poor start for them he might not get many chances.

Kids from the youth team get a bit of time and leeway. £45m signings dont.

I for one don’t understand this transfer !!
Another great prospect leaves city to join a supposed rival!!
Tbf, Chelsea aren't a rival

They just aren't, if everything clicks for them they may get top 4, but I doubt it

That's not the same goal as us

This isn't football manager/Fifa where a player gets better every season regardless, some players shine early but some never develop and actually regress

Chelsea have too many young players in simialr positions that some will shine while the ones competing could easily regress

Palmer is going toe-to-toe with Madueke, Mudryk and Chukwuemeka for a 1 or 2 spots (Jackson and Sterling most likely will be regulars in either 4231 or 433) and that's without thinking about Nkunku who will be back in the new year, he's likely going into the first XI based off their preseason

He could come out on top, or he could end up in the bottom, we don't know but I doubt all 4 of those will all develop equally

He's young he's already won the lot over here with us and wants 1st team football, not sure he will get what he wants at chelsea but we've got a reasonably good fee for him, good luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.