Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

Cannot claim to have ever seen him play in the flesh, but from the comments made and love for the man, Much respect to him and fans of City.
Listened to the comments on the radio and for Joe Corrigan to compare him to KDB, well he must have been one hell of a player.
I then watched thatvolley at Wembley and was immediately comparing that to Van Bastens volley.
RIP King Colin
KdB is a very fine player. Colin was better.

Cannot claim to have ever seen him play in the flesh, but from the comments made and love for the man, Much respect to him and fans of City.
Listened to the comments on the radio and for Joe Corrigan to compare him to KDB, well he must have been one hell of a player.
I then watched thatvolley at Wembley and was immediately comparing that to Van Bastens volley.
RIP King Colin
RIP King Colin
The volley was at Stamford bridge, to be fair it does have a look of Wembley...
.one of my favourite City goals I was 10 at the time and idolised King Colin

Re: Belly’s Newcastle comeback. 73/74 was when my Dad started taking me to watch City (a game here, a game there) but I can’t, hand on heart, recall individual performances involving the King. And then of course he was injured. But that comeback game you could feel it, the buzz of anticipation. I remember looking across at the Kippax (from Platt Lane) to see if there was any clue to the growing rumour Belly was coming on and it was like looking at a cosmic singularity, thousands of people inwardly converging into a corridor of view to better see the tunnel and what was going on over there… Then the Kippax went supernova and out of the blinding explosion stepped Colin Bell.

I turned to say something to my Dad and he was crying. I turned away sharpish so he didn’t see me looking. I’d never seen Dad in tears before. Then I noticed other fans crying but it was a happy cry and I realised how much Colin meant to Dad’s generation of supporters and this football club.

I asked him about it years later and he said it was the noise that greeted Belly’s entrance. It just got to him, that swelling crescendo of joy and triumph. But there was sadness too, he said, when he saw Colin wasn’t running as freely, knew it was the end of an era. It might have been, but not that day; the King’s presence swept through the team and us. Once again, we were on the brink of greatness… erm… Took a bit longer than ‘brink’ but we got there, Col!

RIP King Colin
Stamford Bridge that volley mate

Sometimes in sad moments memories come flooding that have been locked away & remind us all why we love this club so much .
To go to maine rd has a kid with my dad ,to see King Colin play in a team that was outstanding & was a joy to watch .
I will remember Nijinsky & everything to do with MCFC until my dying days .
I am sure Joe Mercer ,Big Mal & the players from team who have passed away were at the pearly gates to meet you .
Thankyou for playing for Manchester City & giving us City Fans lucky to see you play memories that filled us with pride & joy.
Rip King Colin .

RIP King Colin
IMHO Colin was better than Kev more an all round player but Kev is the closest I've seen as a player and the way he behalves as man. Colin was just reaching his peak, Big Mal was of the opinion that he would have played into his forties as he could have dropped into the back 4. Colin on today's pitches would have been a sight to behold and he would have been absolutely priceless Colin never swore but he gave refs stick use to say flipping heck ref His injury was an absolute tragedy and when I met him I alluded to how 2 of City's greatest player careers were ended by a bad knee injury, in his humble way of his he said well I had a good spell won lots of trophies and played in a great team and for England I feel for Paul Lake who didnt get to do any of those and he would have been a better player than me.

I was still a few months away from being born on that night in Vienna when we won the ECW cup. Unbelievable that it wasn't televised live as both channels were showing the FA Cup replay. As yo the actual trophy presentation it was a nice touch by the UEFA boss to stand in front of the cameras! It's a great pity we couldn't defend the cup the next season.

I know the Mercer Allison partnership was ending but it's a surprise that we didn't go on to further glory in the early 70s. Guess there a a variety of reasons including selling Lee and Allison having different ideas.

The title in 77 might have been ours if Colin had not been maimed. Wonder what he and the rest of the older guys thought with the staggering mismanagement of Swales?

Reading this thread its wonderful to read everyone's memories of Colin and the adoration he was held in. Peter Doherty must have been some player!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.