Cologne, Germany

KingCarlito

Taking the Mrs here for Christmas, we got a really good deal. I've been before, but has anybody got any recommendations or tips for Cologne and its surrounding areas. Places to visit, restaurants, transport etc.?

Have been to Düsseldorf briefly before, and would like to go to Bonn.

Cheers.

Taking the Mrs here for Christmas, we got a really good deal. I've been before, but has anybody got any recommendations or tips for Cologne and its surrounding areas. Places to visit, restaurants, transport etc.?

Have been to Düsseldorf briefly before, and would like to go to Bonn.

Cheers.

Bonn is quite small and easy to see and get to. I think I went by train for about 30 minutes.

If you are doing shopping remember in Germany shops close on a Sunday.
I loved Cologne but I like visiting art galleries and churches and Cologne has one of the great cathedrals to visit.

The Ludwig Museum in the Dom square is well worth a visit if only for the art. The Dom, of course, is spectacular. Shops close at 1pm on Saturday except the first Saturday of the month. Like bennyboy says above shops are shut on Sunday but the city centre is still very busy with people just walking around or grabbing a coffee in the cafes.

Great Christmas Markets, think there are 5 within easy walking distance of each other.

Fast food is great. Schnellimbiss everywhere, fritten mit mayonnaise and a currywurst. Lovely, can taste it now. There is a bar down near the river which sells, for me, the best beer in Germany and on tap, Lowenbrau. Forgot the tins and bottles over here this is the real stuff.

Very envious.

The Ludwig Museum in the Dom square is well worth a visit if only for the art. The Dom, of course, is spectacular. Shops close at 1pm on Saturday except the first Saturday of the month. Like bennyboy says above shops are shut on Sunday but the city centre is still very busy with people just walking around or grabbing a coffee in the cafes.

Great Christmas Markets, think there are 5 within easy walking distance of each other.

Fast food is great. Schnellimbiss everywhere, fritten mit mayonnaise and a currywurst. Lovely, can taste it now. There is a bar down near the river which sells, for me, the best beer in Germany and on tap, Lowenbrau. Forgot the tins and bottles over here this is the real stuff.

Very envious.

I was there in December a few years ago, and Fred's right - there are Christmas markets all over the place. They have their own bear Kolsch (can't be bothered with the umlaut.

There's a chocolate museum by the river, and also a mustard museum if you're that way inclined.

Very envious.

Last time I went I got caught short with bad guts, 30 seconds later I think there would've been a big problem. Ran into one of these bars, and realised mid shit that I was actually in the girls toilets. Waited til the coast was clear to exit, and two horrified German girls walked in as I was rushing out. Not my finest moment, but hopefully this visit will be a bit more relaxed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.