Colour of the Trap - Miles Kane: review.

MCFC BOB

Fred's Patio on me: "Mr. Self Appointed Lord of Wh
<a class="postlink" href="http://robsygoat.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://robsygoat.blogspot.com/</a>

I think I'm going to do some album reviews over the summer, because I've literally got nothing to do. If there are any posters on here that do music reviews professionally, then any tips would be greatly welcomed and appreciated so that the quality of them increases. Here's my first one, a review of Miles Kane's debut album 'Colour of the Trap'.

d37df8431MP3320kbps.jpg

Miles Kane – Colour of the Trap: album review.

Previously known for his work with The Rascals and The Last Shadow Puppets, Miles Kane is attempting to storm the charts with his first solo debut - and he’s not done too badly for himself if he wants this album to be successful.

‘You’re a million miles away, so come closer,’ Kane sings over the funky, 60s rock and roll/pop drumbeat of the album’s opening track, ‘Come Closer’. And this song more or less foregrounds the rest of the album – funky, happy, catchy 60s pop/rock and roll songs. But that does not mean you can switch off after the first song.

Kane and best friend Alex Turner - co-writer of Colour of the Trap, and front-man of Arctic Monkeys - know how to write a good pop track together, as we’ve previously seen with their work under the name of The Last Shadow Puppets, so their fans will be pleased to see the young pair working together again.

The album isn’t necessarily groundbreaking, and there’s nothing totally new to discover if you’re familiar with Miles Kane’s previous material, but it’s a comfortable and enjoyable listen nonetheless. It is perfectly packaged, stays as far away from controversy as it possibly can, and stays as clean as possible. Nothing is offensive, and I bet it would even go down well at an old peoples’ home – it’s just a nice, easy journey from track 1 to track 12. This album leaves a lot for Miles Kane to build on, and with a musician with as much potential as Kane holds, it shouldn't be a difficult job. If I had to describe this album in a sentence, I would say: for a first album, it’s like having a new model Ford Focus as a first car.

Recommended: Come Closer, Rearrange, Quicksand, Inhaler and Kingcrawler.

7/10.

Next week, I'll be reviewing Lady Gaga's latest release 'Born this Way'.

pretty much agree with Bob

been listening to the album on the way to work - it's ok

I'd rate it 6/10

can't see me listening to it in 10 years time and probably not even next year!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.