Colour Quota in French football

Clubber said:
Didn't South Africa have a similar quota for cricket, where a certain amount of black players HAD to play?

Both are racist and all positions should be based on ability (And obviously natonality for a national team).
Isn't this different though? As they were bringing black players in to the team to represent the ethnic layout out the country. You could see why they wanted to do it although the team was worse off with it

weejh said:
Clubber said:
Didn't South Africa have a similar quota for cricket, where a certain amount of black players HAD to play?

Both are racist and all positions should be based on ability (And obviously natonality for a national team).
Isn't this different though? As they were bringing black players in to the team to represent the ethnic layout out the country. You could see why they wanted to do it although the team was worse off with it

No difference at all.

The best 11 should play.

If this story is true, I'd hope they sack anyone involved with it because it really is shameful for liberal society, never mind football.

Affirmative action is often taken to correct imbalances in the ethnic make-up of workforces.

While at any given time it is only right to employ the best person for a particular job, at the same time we should strive to ensure that in time all workforces broadly reflect the ethnic make-up of the country.

Only racists who believe that there are natural difference in abilities between people of different skin colours could possibly object to such an approach.

urmston said:
at the same time we should strive to ensure that in time all workforces broadly reflect the ethnic make-up of the country.

Only racists who believe that there are natural difference in abilities between people of different skin colours could possibly object to such an approach.

It's not about the difference in ability between two races. It's about the difference in ability between two people of different races. If England had an all black football team, only racists would want to sacrifice a better black player for a lesser white player.

Affirmative action/positive discrimination is wrong.

cleavers said:
Surely this can only be a quota to stop those coming from africa or the arab world, to play in France. It can't possibly stop its own citizens from playing, black, brown, white, pink, or yellow, if they are French born then they will be allowed. If not then France has a lot more to be worried about than not playing european football.

You misread it. It's not about putting a quota on how many non-whites can play in France, it's about putting a quota on how many non-whites are accepted to study at Clairfontaine academy. That can be very easily fixed.

It's still wrong, of course, so long as this is true. I've heard more than my share of sensationalist nonsense stories in my time. The alternate stories posited in the quotes about losing players to dual-nationality rules does make sense and isn't nearly as racist.

In the UK government employers like the army and police are now extremely keen to make sure that their workforces represent the ethnic make-up of the community. They'd be in big trouble if they didn't. So would any private company which had a workforce notably lacking in a significant ethnic group living in their area.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same in France.

Why shouldn't the French football industry try to achieve a representative ethnic mix in its workforce, especially in the national team which can't draw upon the world's talent, but only those with some form of attachment to France?

It is accepted that there are no inherent difference in the abilities of the world's ethnic groups, so any industry which doesn't have a workforce which is representative of the population from which it draws its employees needs to explain itself.

urmston said:
In the UK government employers like the army and police are now extremely keen to make sure that their workforces represent the ethnic make-up of the community. They'd be in big trouble if they didn't. So would any private company which had a workforce notably lacking in a significant ethnic group living in their area.

This is to make sure visible minorities are getting fair opportunities. For instance if company didn't hire any visible minorities than you can either believe that there were no qualified minorities or there is systematic discrimination (intentionally or not) preventing them from landing opportunity with that company. It makes sense for this company or organization to reassess its hiring processes to make sure that these minorities are given same opportunity as other applicates.

urmston said:
Why shouldn't the French football industry try to achieve a representative ethnic mix in its workforce, especially in the national team which can't draw upon the world's talent, but only those with some form of attachment to France?

It is fine if they want to investigate why French football is not producing "white" players on the national team. I would be interested to know why as well. However as far as I can tell there is systemic discrimination against these players. In fact limiting the percentage of minorities on the national team is not only discriminatory but bluntly racist.

The mistake people often make in regards to programs such as "affirmative action" is that they think those people are not qualified. These programs are instituted to allow qualified people to get opportunities that would otherwise have being denied.

Falastur said:
cleavers said:
Surely this can only be a quota to stop those coming from africa or the arab world, to play in France. It can't possibly stop its own citizens from playing, black, brown, white, pink, or yellow, if they are French born then they will be allowed. If not then France has a lot more to be worried about than not playing european football.

You misread it. It's not about putting a quota on how many non-whites can play in France, it's about putting a quota on how many non-whites are accepted to study at Clairfontaine academy. That can be very easily fixed.

It's still wrong, of course, so long as this is true. I've heard more than my share of sensationalist nonsense stories in my time. The alternate stories posited in the quotes about losing players to dual-nationality rules does make sense and isn't nearly as racist.
Thanks for clearing it up.

I wonder how the EU will take to this ? Everything the EU does is geared against things like this (rightly so), and if member states break the EU rules they get fined. It will also be interesting to see UEFA's reaction (run by a french man).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.