Comparing Speeches: Clinton Vs Obama

Bigga

The Blue Buus... is callin us... Driver, where you
Thought I'd take time out to listen to the speech made by both truly awesome orators(playing havoc with my daytime obligations at the moment!) and thought I found it interesting.

BC has a way about him. He IS an extraodinary speaker. So much so, you don't miss a word.

Whilst Obama's was around 50 mins, Clinton's was around 20, yesterday. Now, I know there's a stark difference, but I just felt a little... well, bored is the wrong way to put it. I just felt he lost his audience a little and I don't know why. Maybe it was a little preachy, in parts.

He said absolutely everything he needed to say, though, identifying with the blue collar workers, as well he should as his mother was a single mother in a none too great job, but I drifted, some. Maybe that's normal? I don't know. Brit Premier speeches are 40 mins on average, when spelling out policies, I think.

But, overall, I'd say he was tough, nay, angry in his delivery which has made me think he can do the job in Office, setting a direct challenge to the Republicans.

McCain, I think, better come up with a doozey of a convention, next week!

Thanks Bigga. As I am trying my hardest to ignore all of the convention bullshit going on since its being shoved in my face 24-7 I'm going to use you for my filter and analysis of what's going on. (-;

Havent seen it yet.

Did he get into the nitty gritty about the issues, such as the economy, monetary issues, Iraq War, Iran, bringing back the freedoms of the American people and restoring the Constitution? or was it just a feel good thing?

Caught a few sound-bites from Obamas speech - I liked the tax deductions bit for 95% of families and the getting away from reliance on Middle Eastern oil in 10 years.

The whole thing looked like a Nsync gig, people in the audience crying 'n that.
The only politician I could listen to for 40 minutes is our very our Tony Benn, a man of true intellect, sincerity and humanity.

ElanJo said:
Havent seen it yet.

Did he get into the nitty gritty about the issues, such as the economy, monetary issues, Iraq War, Iran, bringing back the freedoms of the American people and restoring the Constitution? or was it just a feel good thing?

Yeah, he covered all those policies with much gusto. As politians do, he didn't mention HOW he would achieve his policies and that was not the time. In fact, I think he's been quite shrewd in NOT spelling out how he would do things, until his Presidential debates.

But, also it WAS a feelgood speech. Despite the fact I felt a little lost, here and there(that may've been tiredness of the hour, though), he smartly re-directed the headline of "The Obama Show" into "You, the People, Decide". Very astute in underlining the People President angle. It felt somewhat... historic, in multi levels.

But I could, in fact, lay parity with Bliar's original line in election and it WAS believable. But, that changed afte a few years of Bliar 'leadership'. Will that be the same for Obama? I'd like to say I hope not, but we can't look past Nov 4th, right now.

ElanJo said:
Havent seen it yet.

Bit of a mixed bag,imo.
Somewhat over-schmaltzy and earnest-sentiment laden for me personally,but that kind of thing seems to hit the right buttons in the states rather than here.
As Bigga mentioned,a little vague in the detail,(possibly with McCain's riposte imminent not wishing to give him any easy ammunition),and I have reservations over his "10 year oil independence" plan,but nothing in the speech that I could pinpoint that would have big business losing sleep.
Again pretty sketchy over foreign policy,but then you don't listen to such speeches with massive expectation regarding detail,and you certainly weren't disappointed here - it was,all in all,a speech that could be perceived largely any which way you wanted.
As an orator,I still feel Obama is far from the finished product,(given his meteoric rise to office,perhaps that is to be expected),and there was little of substance that would convince his detractors,but it was a considered,(over)polished speech delivered with apparent confidence and,importantly,without gaffes.

Tried staying up for Obamas but fell asleep before it began.

Clinton is a superb orator, he had the audience eating out his hands and the way one blond was looking at him (which the cameras enjoyed focusing on her) maybe left her a little damp.

I was worried about the elaborate set they had for Baraks speech which may work against him, when i saw it i thought "he thinks it's in the bag the cocky get" and maybe a few floaters may have thought the same.

mat said:

Clinton is a superb orator, he had the audience eating out his hands and the way one blond was looking at him (which the cameras enjoyed focusing on her) maybe left her a little damp.

I was worried about the elaborate set they had for Baraks speech which may work against him, when i saw it i thought "he thinks it's in the bag the cocky get" and maybe a few floaters may have thought the same.

Yeah,I clocked the blonde too,mat.
I guess she was close,but no cigar!

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
mat said:

Yeah,I clocked the blonde too,mat.
I guess she was close,but no cigar!

BOOM TISH!

And tbf, Mat, the fact that the Republicans can only pick on the 'elaborate set' Obama may or may not have had(and rememeber the public CONTRIBUTED to the campaign fund, for more than ANY other candidate in history) to me smacks of having nothing to really say about the speech.

There were no pieces to pick apart.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.