Complacency

lionheart

At this moment in time with Laporte and Sane coming back soon, we don't appear to be in need of any January transfers. However, all it needs is a serious injury to Jesus, Aguero or Fernandinho and our trophy prospects might suffer. With Nmecha out on loan and Aguero likely to be winding down with age, is it not worth getting a solid striker as insurance?

I don't see any signs of Aguero winding down yet!

I get your point but I don't think it's worth it unless it's someone good enough to be a genuine first team striker, otherwise we may as well just use Sterling or Bernardo up front if we're ever without both Kun and Jesus. We can play pretty well with a fluid attack and no recognised strikers for a few games if need be.

I think City are able to be effective without a recognised striker in the line-up so I do not think that we should buy someone just for the sake of cover. Having said I would be more than happy to get Werner based on his bargain buy out clause but he may not want to come if he is not assured of a place.

Which names were you thinking of OP? - not easy to find someone who is good enough for us and who is happy to be a backup.

At this moment in time with Laporte and Sane coming back soon, we don't appear to be in need of any January transfers. However, all it needs is a serious injury to Jesus, Aguero or Fernandinho and our trophy prospects might suffer. With Nmecha out on loan and Aguero likely to be winding down with age, is it not worth getting a solid striker as insurance?

I don't agree at all. We have no free spots on the squad list for foreign players. Anyone you bring in would need to replace a current player so its a non starter.

What we should be doing is planning for the summer. Assume Otamendi and Silva move on so that is two spots. 1 CB and possibly a striker in the summer but I would prefer just a CB. Use Foden more and look to keep a squad place free next season. We are always up to the limit on the squad size and that is an issue every transfer window we need to operate below the limit so we always have some room to make moves. To do that we need to use the squad we have (more youth players getting minutes) and only buy players who are needed and clearly better than what we have.

You can't sign a striker in a 1 striker system on the premise that your first and second option strikers will both get injured at the same time. If they don't get injured, your 3rd choice option never plays.

Sterling, and theoretically Sané, is/are able to play striker without any problems whatsoever. Given that Sterling's been benched last two PL games and in the 8-0 thrashing against Watford, and we've done perfectly fine without him, you could argue that there wouldn't really be a big gap on the wing if Sterling played striker for a couple games. Bernardo and Foden are great at LW, and have proven it.

However there is no harm in buying a young talented striker, like Boadu or Osihmen, and play him in cup games/late subs in order to integrate him. And if injuries occur in the near future, the young player will get his chance in the PL.

Last edited:
You can't sign a striker in a 1 striker system on the premise that your first and second option strikers will both get injured at the same time. If they don't get injured, your 3rd choice option never plays.
Need someone effective both wide and in the middle. Mertens on a freebie would be perfect if he wasn't 30, Insigne another one but he would cost the amount of a small country after that c**t Laurentiis is done at the negotiating table. Raz has all the tools to do it, but he seems to have stagnated just as he looked like go to another level, lets hope its just terrible form and he starts firing again when his confidence is back.

Nmecha & Kun in the same sentence?

Thw aspiration has always been two players for each position and we pretty much have that. I assume that includes a calculated nod towards coping with injuries with which we have been pretty unfortunate. Doing business in a reactive way in Jan would smack more of complacency imho than sticking to a longer term plan and accepting that sometimes you just have bad luck with injuries.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.