Computer coding

I've had a look at Java, although I'm not sure how much use that would be for work. It does appear most languages have some crossover though.

I've been told to have a look at Anaconda which has a load of packages such as Spyder, Jupyter, Matplotlib (Matlab type clone) and numpy, all of which could be useful at work (If I can persuade the IT dept to install it on my machine).
As a free alternative albeit with some small quirks Scilab https://www.scilab.org/ is a great Matlab clone with many of the same libraries. Likewise Octave https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/ to the extent that you can run *.m files on it without modifications. It doesn’t have a simulink equivalent but does have all the signal processing toolboxes and I have used it for modelling things like slotted waveguide antennas.

Scilab and Octave are also completely free for use by individuals and businesses, so your IT dept shouldn’t have any issues with installing it unless you work in a business sector that requires SC.

Last edited:
Yep ... i would try scripting languages first. Avoid Java C for now.

Try out Ruby, then work your way to Javascript and then Python

Reason for this, first off. RUBY OOP concepts are not strict and syntax not strict like Java. U will have difficulties getting to grasp with OOP concepts and libs etc.

Any questions u have, ask.

I work in an engineering support capacity for a load of really clever people who work with big data (high level RF/IR engineering for aviation). They do a lot of stuff with Matlab and Python scripting, and most of it goes over my head. The only real exposure to programming I have had was BBC BASIC, and Sinclair BASIC from about 25-30 years ago, and I can remember very little of it.

Anyhow, I've decided to jump in with both feet, and have a crack at learning Python, so at least I can have an understanding of what they are doing, and maybe get a bit more involved. I'm not totally computer illiterate, and I do have a bit of UNIX experience (basic file structure, file permissions, emacs/VI and other snippets).

Has anybody done anything similar, and got any tips?
I know some Python. I started with the basic syntax and for and while loops and indexing of lists and arrays. List comprehensions. I'd start with data structures and learn how to index them and loop over their contents. Then design functions (def function()) which you can call again and again. Saves input. Also take instructions from the user at a terminal. That's useful. Read and write data.

I did courses on coursera and udemy and tried to avoid payment. It depends how much time you have.

If you ever get stuck on something I always find googling it will bring up some related code which you can copy and convert to suit your purpose. I expect you know all this already. I haven't bothered with the different python environments, I just use the basic editors and packages.

I work in an engineering support capacity for a load of really clever people who work with big data (high level RF/IR engineering for aviation). They do a lot of stuff with Matlab and Python scripting, and most of it goes over my head. The only real exposure to programming I have had was BBC BASIC, and Sinclair BASIC from about 25-30 years ago, and I can remember very little of it.

Anyhow, I've decided to jump in with both feet, and have a crack at learning Python, so at least I can have an understanding of what they are doing, and maybe get a bit more involved. I'm not totally computer illiterate, and I do have a bit of UNIX experience (basic file structure, file permissions, emacs/VI and other snippets).

Has anybody done anything similar, and got any tips?
Do you know who Simon Rattle is?
If so, go for it.

No expert but have worked with python. Whats the issue?
The question is asking me to define a function to perform a fairly simple calculation.
The code within the function seems fine, but when I call the function nothing happens and the answer is always 0

So it's like I've not assigned the function correctly? It feels like I'm missing something painfully obvious but just can't see it

The question is asking me to define a function to perform a fairly simple calculation.
The code within the function seems fine, but when I call the function nothing happens and the answer is always 0

So it's like I've not assigned the function correctly? It feels like I'm missing something painfully obvious but just can't see it

hard to say without seeing the code itself, u have it anywhere on GIT or another REPO?

This may help...

Defining Functions in Python 3 | DigitalOcean

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.