Computer/Internet Privacy Tips

Overwatch works fine. Fortnite doesn't because of the third party anti cheat.

Look up Lutris. Gives you an idea.
Will check that out Damo cheers.
Would love to go back to Linux again, the customisation and security just makes it a no brainer for me that it's the better os.
Just program support is the only issue

Will check that out Damo cheers.
Would love to go back to Linux again, the customisation and security just makes it a no brainer for me that it's the better os.
Just program support is the only issue

With DXVK/Valve programmers now working on WINE directly we're seeing major leaps forward.

Its not there yet but between native versions, Proton and Lutris, I can generally play most stuff.

The HUGE deal is a lack of Adobe suite. If they ever bring Linux versions then it will be a big boon for the community.

With DXVK/Valve programmers now working on WINE directly we're seeing major leaps forward.

Its not there yet but between native versions, Proton and Lutris, I can generally play most stuff.

The HUGE deal is a lack of Adobe suite. If they ever bring Linux versions then it will be a big boon for the community.
Yeah I've got Photoshop, premiere and after effects.
Would be a shame to lose them.
I do have Ubuntu on a 120GB SSD with another 120GB SSD as my windows 10 boot drive with a 1TB HDD for general storage.
Might be an idea to perhaps swap one out for a 240GB SSD and use it just for Windows 10 so I can use the programs that we can't get on Linux right now

Last edited:
Browser
I use and recommend the Brave browser. Brave is based on the open source version of the Chrome engine that actually works a bit better than the Google version as it isn't loaded with so much crap. So this means your Chrome extensions will work in Brave. Also, Brave has great internet security built in - it automatically blocks trackers, ads and 3rd party cookies as well as other undesirables such as web based bitcoin miners yet has an extremely simple interface for turning them on and off for every site you use. It's also the fastest fully functional browser around. If you use it on mobile it actually saves you a ton of data too.

Finally, Brave has an interest "post advertising" view of the internet and how it might work whereby they will (in the future) allow you choose to view certain non-intrusive non-identifying advertisements and reward you with Bitcoins which you then can donate easily to the website creator. It's a good idea and a decent way of solving the problem of ad blocking. Or you can just give them money and they'll sort you out with some credits rather than viewing ads. Either way.
Have downloaded Brave and it works fine, just can't seem to get the new tab to open into google search as with Chrome. Any suggestions at all?

Cracking post - sorry I'm late to the party.
I've just installed Brave. Saw Brendan Eich promoting it on Twitter a few months back but completely forgot about it. Its rather good, isn't it?

Whats the best way to go about changing over / learning??
I need my laptop every day but only for browsing essentially and picking up emails, a few times a week I need to generate PDF invoices and the odd word doc and I need access to a cloud based software system a few times a week. only prog I run is an antique version of sage accounts once a quarter.
I have an old laptop but I keep that for when my good laptop is temporarily bricked from whatever latest update that **** Gates has forced upon me.

Did you ever get this sorted? Saw you'd asked the question, but was told to leave it if you had to ask about it? Not sure that's the best advice you could have had.
If its still on your agenda, I'd suggest getting a copy of a Live CD and you can have a play about with some distros before you install it.

Ubuntu - https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#0
Mint - https://linuxmint.com/download.php

If you like what you see, you can choose to install it permanently. And if you've got room on your HDD(s), you can set up a dual-boot. So when you power up your machine you can load up Windows or Linux (something I did for a couple of months until I'd sussed out open-source versions of all the software I'd used on Windows). Then I deleted Windows. And I will never install it again.

Color me clueless.

Me? Put up as many cameras as possible in public areas with data accessible by law enforcement - I'd rather not get shot at by terrorists or robbed by common criminals.

Internet tracking? It can get out of control certainly - but within bounds - I'm in favor. I like that Amazon, for example, can tailor my experience on their website to things that I seem interested in.

I do draw the line though in private places - such as my home - where I should expect privacy. It's a bit worrisome for me that those voice-activated devices might be on at all times, transmitting what I say even when I don't want them to.
===
The whole - I don't trust anyone and everyone is out to get me - so I'm going to install a complex OS that's not-at-all mainstream and won't run many of the applications I want and is going to be very technical and out of the capability of most folks - well... if you're that worried (about what I don't really understand) - go ahead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.