Computer/Internet Privacy Tips

Great post but a tad tin foil hattish.

Windows 10 is the most stable platform for just about everything and regular use plus you can turn the spy stuff off using the many tools available on the net. The great downside to the alternatives like Linux is you are freed from the privacy concerns but you are also free of having any use for the operating system. Linux/OSX etc are just not able to run most things plus Linux is ridiculously complicated.

I use NordVPN but it is terrible for things like downloading because your internet speed is reduced to whatever the capability is of the server you are connected to. Normally I'll get 6-8mb/s and on a VPN I get 1-2mb/s so well over a 50% speed penalty..

Unless you are engaged in something highly illegal and/or need to cover your tracks then most people will want and need to stay on Windows 10 and a regular environment.

This.

I have Nord for torrenting, a proton account for the most uber-sensitive stuff, outside of that, of course I could use Linux and the other stuff...but y tho

Windows 10 is the most stable platform for just about everything and regular use plus you can turn the spy stuff off using the many tools available on the net. The great downside to the alternatives like Linux is you are freed from the privacy concerns but you are also free of having any use for the operating system. Linux/OSX etc are just not able to run most things plus Linux is ridiculously complicated.

I use NordVPN but it is terrible for things like downloading because your internet speed is reduced to whatever the capability is of the server you are connected to. Normally I'll get 6-8mb/s and on a VPN I get 1-2mb/s so well over a 50% speed penalty..

Unless you are engaged in something highly illegal and/or need to cover your tracks then most people will want and need to stay on Windows 10 and a regular environment.

It's more than that mate as it's an invasion of our privacy as they harvest our browsing habits for their own agenda selling to the highest bidder.On a personal level I do not use ten as I find it non user friendly.I use windows seven which suits my needs better.Firefox after it's recent overall is now more secure and up their in the ratings.Just tested my speed Inbetween and only around a 10% drop with PIA. Good post OP and some really useful info in there.

Good post and as an IT Manager myself, I find the content quite indisputable.

It is however, a little 'Project Fear'-esque! There needs to be a little more "If you just use a laptop for every day simple use and don't really care about targeted ads, most of this you can probably ignore".

My nan doesn't need to run Linux. Most people's Nan won't need to run linux and therefore "you have to get off Windows 10" is wrongly written as fact, when it's opinion (for good reason, admittedly).

I would say that if Internet privacy is very important to you regardless of your usage, then this post should be your bible. If you don't really care, or don't use a Computer in such a way where privacy would matter enough for you to worry about it, then pretty much most of this is irrelevant to you. I don't advocate that approach but the OP needs a bit more balance.

I like to think i'm good at what I do but, i run Windows 10, Office 365, I have a gmail account and I only use google for searching. I'm still alive, nobody has (yet) stolen my identity and I'm not at all worried that Microsoft/Google might know who I've selected in my Fantasy Football team. I do have a VPN though!

Not meant to be critical Damocles, just trying to add some balance for those that might shit themselves when reading your post.

The GUI in Windows is pretty user friendly. Linux not so, but getting better with every distro.

I also agree that to get the most out of Linux, you have to know your way round the Terminal, but the basics are not really as scary as people make out. The best bit of advice I got was that Linux won't ask twice. If you delete a file in Terminal (command prompt in Windows speak), it stays deleted. It won't ask if you are sure before it deletes, and there isn't a deleted items folder.

If you have an older PC/Laptop that's now running a bit slow one of the best uses for Linux distros is that they will breath new life into them if you just want to surf the web check in on emails etc.

I'm just looking at getting a vpnNord account only because it looks like piratebay has finally been blocked by my provider.
I'm stuck at the payment part. It's saying $95.00 for two years but not saying if that's in Cdn funds or not.

It's more than that mate as it's an invasion of our privacy as they harvest our browsing habits for their own agenda selling to the highest bidder.On a personal level I do not use ten as I find it non user friendly.I use windows seven which suits my needs better.Firefox after it's recent overall is now more secure and up their in the ratings.Just tested my speed Inbetween and only around a 10% drop with PIA. Good post OP and some really useful info in there.

No-one is immune either way, I have read that supposed pro-privacy, pro-anonymity types such as piratebay are using peoples browsers to mine bitcoin in the background, that annoys me more to be honest.

Avoidance of virus's and the like is a far bigger reason to use something like Linux over google finding out where you have booked your hols.

If you have an older PC/Laptop that's now running a bit slow one of the best uses for Linux distros is that they will breath new life into them if you just want to surf the web check in on emails etc.
I concur. I used it on my old W7 laptop until it died. Now I have it on a Netbook, which I use when I go away. I just load it up with movies from my Netflix account, and I can also surf the web and get e-mails.

Sometimes the WiFi drivers can be a bit hit and miss with older machines, but they are getting better and there is always a workaround if you know what you are doing.

No-one is immune either way, I have read that supposed pro-privacy, pro-anonymity types such as piratebay are using peoples browsers to mine bitcoin in the background, that annoys me more to be honest.

Avoidance of virus's and the like is a far bigger reason to use something like Linux over google finding out where you have booked your hols.

Malware-bytes full version is a nifty piece of kit.A modicum of protection and commonsense goes a long way. Don't let it consume your life but a sense of spacial awareness is never a bad thing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.