Confirmation from the Premier League - Balotelli is an U21

johnny crossan

I know some of you have been saying this for weeks but I didn't believe it. Anyway just had confirmation from my contact at the Premier League that Balotelli (if we sign him) would be eligible for the B list for the Prem League - so we could have 17 other non Home Grown players on the A list. He is not eligible for the Europa League B list though, he would have to be club trained for that and isn't. Interestingly my contact said that she had assumed the PL followed in UEFA in this and was also surprised that foreign U21s are eligible.

I was referred to Section L of the Premier League Handbook for confirmation.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.premierleague.com/staticFiles/db/52/0,,12306~152283,00.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.premierleague.com/staticFile ... 283,00.pdf</a>

PLAYERS’ REGISTRATIONS
Requirement for Registration
1. A Player shall not play for a Club in a League Match unless that Club holds his registration with
effect from at least one hour before kick off and for League Matches to be played between
the close of the First Transfer Window and the end of the Season either:
1.1 his name is included on the Squad List; or
1.2 he is an Under 21 Player.
2. A Club shall be deemed to hold the registration of a Player upon receipt of the Secretary’s
certificate in writing to that effect.
3. A Club shall apply to:
3.1 include a Player on its Squad List by submitting to the Secretary the requisite Form.
3.2 remove a Player from its Squad List by submitting to the Secretary the requisite Form.
4. A Player shall be deemed to have been included or removed from a Club’s Squad List on
receipt of the Secretary’s written confirmation.
5. Changes to a Squad List may be made:
5.1 during the period of a Transfer Window; or
5.2 at other times only with the permission of the Board.

johnny crossan said:
I know some of you have been saying this for weeks but I didn't believe it. Anyway just had confirmation from my contact at the Premier League that Balotelli (if we sign him) would be eligible for the B list for the Prem League - so we could have 17 other non Home Grown players on the A list. He is not eligible for the Europa League B list though, he would have to be club trained for that and isn't. Interestingly my contact said that she had assumed the PL followed in UEFA in this and was also surprised that foreign U21s are eligible.

I was referred to Section L of the Premier League Handbook for confirmation.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.premierleague.com/staticFiles/db/52/0,,12306~152283,00.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.premierleague.com/staticFile ... 283,00.pdf</a>

PLAYERS’ REGISTRATIONS
Requirement for Registration
1. A Player shall not play for a Club in a League Match unless that Club holds his registration with
effect from at least one hour before kick off and for League Matches to be played between
the close of the First Transfer Window and the end of the Season either:
1.1 his name is included on the Squad List; or
1.2 he is an Under 21 Player.
2. A Club shall be deemed to hold the registration of a Player upon receipt of the Secretary’s
certificate in writing to that effect.
3. A Club shall apply to:
3.1 include a Player on its Squad List by submitting to the Secretary the requisite Form.
3.2 remove a Player from its Squad List by submitting to the Secretary the requisite Form.
4. A Player shall be deemed to have been included or removed from a Club’s Squad List on
receipt of the Secretary’s written confirmation.
5. Changes to a Squad List may be made:
5.1 during the period of a Transfer Window; or
5.2 at other times only with the permission of the Board.

Good news if true ,mate. Would leave us a space.

I have made the same point on a thread somwhere.
Of course Boateng is the same as well isnt he?

Its one reason why we are so keen on the current targets as there is no stress for the EPL list

fbloke said:
I have made the same point on a thread somwhere.
Of course Boateng is the same as well isnt he?

Its one reason why we are so keen on the current targets as there is no stress for the EPL list

No, Boateng doesn't make the cut as an under 21 as he was born in September 1988. The only rule for a premier league under 21 players is that they were born on January 1st, 1989 or later. You could also say it as, the player needs to have been under 21 years of age (20 or younger) on January 1st, 2010.

To summarize the squad rules:

EPL:
Squad: 25 players
Foreign: 17 players
Home Grown: 8 players

Unlimited number of Under 21s (defined as who is 20 years old or younger on January 1st, 1989 for the 2010/2011 season regardless of nationality).

UEFA:
Squad: 25 players
Foreign: 17 players
Home Grown: 8 players (4 that are association trained like Bridge + 4 that are "club" trained like Richards or Ireland)

Unlimited number of Under 21s may be registered on List B as long as they are born on or after 1 January 1989 and have been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted period of two years since their 15th birthday by the time they are registered with UEFA.

So essentially, Balotelli would be an Under 21 for the premier league but would need to take one of the 17 foreign player spots in the Europa League. Been saying this for a while in the various other threads about players leaving.

http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=183855&start=20

Huh? I'm confused as to where the confusion was. Balotelli is 19 years old, meaning he is U21, meaning he would not have to be registered as one of the 25.

Why did we need a Premier League source to confirm this?

Tricky_Trev said:
Huh? I'm confused as to where the confusion was. Balotelli is 19 years old, meaning he is U21, meaning he would not have to be registered as one of the 25.

Why did we need a Premier League source to confirm this?

I think there are 2 areas causing confusion.

1. Fans are blending the Under 21 rule (Under 21 years of age at the beginning of the season in which the competition begins) and the homegrown rule (3 years trained at a British or Welsh club under the age of 21).

2. The Europa league rules are different for Under 21s (have to be registered with the club 2 years between the ages of 15 and 21) and I think most people expected that the PL rules followed the UEFA ones.

Hence, people have been arguing he doesn't qualify as Under 21 because he's not 'homegrown". Just a misreading of the rules imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.