Confusion about Adam Johnson

taconinja said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
This.

The lad has played on the left since he was barely out of nappies. Play him in his natural position please Roberto, Dzeko will thank you for it.
Why? I don't think he's a very good crosser from either side.

His delivery from the left is excellent. He wasn't scouted as a right-winger - we have tried to turn him into one.

Johnsonontheleft said:
taconinja said:
Why? I don't think he's a very good crosser from either side.

His delivery from the left is excellent. He wasn't scouted as a right-winger - we have tried to turn him into one.
Sorry, his delivery from the left is bobbins, when he does occasionally get a cross in from there it's lucky to land on the pitch let alone a teammate's head. His delivery from the right ain't great either but at least from that side there's more chance him getting into the box for a shot.

He looked like he was improving for a while but I'm losing faith in him TBH, not sure he has the nouse to become a top player, he doesn't have great movement off the ball, on the ball tends to just put his head down and dribble wherever any decent defender sends him.

sweep said:
Sorry, his delivery from the left is bobbins, when he does occasionally get a cross in from there it's lucky to land on the pitch let alone a teammate's head. His delivery from the right ain't great either but at least from that side there's more chance him getting into the box for a shot.

He looked like he was improving for a while but I'm losing faith in him TBH, not sure he has the nouse to become a top player, he doesn't have great movement off the ball, on the ball tends to just put his head down and dribble wherever any decent defender sends him.
It's the head-down part that really worries me. There are times when he only looks to pass as a last resort when he's dribbled himself into double coverage with no way out while looking for a shot.

He acts like he has a chip on his shoulder sometimes. He's not as good as he thinks he is. HOWEVER he is a little bit exciting and gets the crowd going.

Milner has 8 assists compared to his 5.. interesting.

I feel sorry for little Shauny. Yes I know SWP hasn't been world class lately, but he's a decent honest bloke who will work his socks off and on his day is pretty bloody good. A sort of Zabaleta on the right wing.

But Johnson has kept him out of the side lately and on the basis of the past few games I would say Shaun should be given his chance.

I believe in his talent and as a whole he's been very good. Lately he hasn't banged one in or created an assist so the shine is fading in fans eyes. He has still looked fairly dangerous on the ball and for whatever reason he doesn't see much of it on the right side.

I still believe he is an important player for the team and won't let a few average performances bother me much.

He's just back from a big injury. He's not as good as many think he is but he is our best right wing option. When he remembers to think, he is a good player. He's summed up by the goal early in the season against Newcastle (i think) when Roberto on the touchline screamed at him to make the run from out to in and when he did Silva gave him the ball on a plate. Quick feet, slow head.

Skashion said:
Chippy_boy said:
Yes I know SWP hasn't been world class lately,

but he's a decent honest bloke who will work his socks off and on his day is pretty bloody good. A sort of Zabaleta on the right wing.
Or ever.

To accompany Zabaleta on the right wing?

Last time I looked, Zabaleta was a right back. Who's actually playing left back, but never mind.

And as for Shaun, his performances before he went to Chelsea were more than good enough to get into today's side. He has just started to show glimpses of that form recently, but doesn't have a chance to shine because he can't get in the side.

When he has come on recently, he's looked decent. And at least he adds some pace and directness to our play, which we are so often very obviously lacking.

Chippy_boy said:
Last time I looked, Zabaleta was a right back. Who's actually playing left back, but never mind.

And as for Shaun, his performances before he went to Chelsea were more than good enough to get into today's side. He has just started to show glimpses of that form recently, but doesn't have a chance to shine because he can't get in the side.

When he has come on recently, he's looked decent. And at least he adds some pace and directness to our play, which we are so often very obviously lacking.
Mancini's preference when both are available has been Kolarov on the left and Zaba on the right and as wing-backs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.