Congratulations Google User....

Discussion in 'Technical queries' started by TueartsOHK, 16 Aug 2018.

1. Cobwebcat

Cobwebcat

It's effing Argos now!

2. Centurions

Centurions

Not come back (yet) for me.

3. Centurions

Centurions

Bollocks, sorry @Ric but just had a redirect to nextoptim.com which Adguard blocked as a potential phishing site. The Adblocker part of Adguard was disabled for Bluemoon but it still watches for dodgy goings on. Still on Win 10/Chrome 64 bit.

4. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

The dreaded advert redirects (Congrats Google, Amazon, others) are back again on iOS, and with a vengeance.

Nearly every page click now gets redirected to these adverts. I had to go back to this original page six times just to post this (as it kept redirecting before I could hit reply, even with typing this out in the notes app on my iPhone).

I’ve just started using the “Turn off JavaScript” solution to stop the redirects because they have made BM unusable. but, as I have confirmed in the past, you have to remember to turn it back on when visiting most other sites, otherwise content won’t load properly and those sites become unusable.

5. Blue Bogey

Blue Bogey

I have found a solution to this, which is when first opening Bluemoon and when you receive the pop up to “Accept All”, instead of accepting, click on ‘show purposes’, click on this instead and then when the next window pops up, at top, select “Reject all”. Sorted it for me this has. No more annoying google or whatever other congratulations you have won. Unless of course you later clear cookies, in which case you will need to do this process again.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2018
  6. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

Thanks for the effort but, unfortunately, there are no such options for these redirects on iOS. The browser force redirects to a blank page with a fake iOS prompt that only has the option ‘Close’ (the BM content goes away completely). If you click that, it then redirects to the fake Google, Amazon, etc advert pages, whichvtgemselves only have links that would lead to the scam sites.

You usually have to close the browser tab completely and reopen a new one to navigate back to BM, where the cycle often repeats.

7. Blue Bogey

Blue Bogey

I use iOS on ipad all the time but the pop up is based around GDPR and looking at your profile you are in Boston so I guess you don’t get this pop up which relates to Data Protection. Sorry I couldnt help you, must be bloody frustrating!

I have edited my post above from ‘ more options to ‘show purposes’.

SebastianBlue likes this.
  8. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

That’s right, I do not — I get something like you describe when back in Manchester (though, not sure it was relegated to these adverts), but GDPR is not integrated within American internet networks (as much as I still have to deal with it daily in my work), so no protection there.

Thanks for the effort to help, though!

9. Centurions

Centurions

Surely doing that just stops you getting tailored adverts? I'm not convinced that will solve it myself. I was using an Ad blocker (sorry Ric) due to redirects on a Win/Chrome PC but I've disabled it for the site after a good clean out, I'll see if there's anymore since I tried your method.

10. Blue Bogey

Blue Bogey

I have had no problems since using the “reject all” button from the process I mention above. I was prior to this on iOS getting the google or apple congrats pop up. Each time I cleared it by cleaning my history and cache. As soon as I used bluemoon again I would “Accept All” and then it would pop up again. Each time I cleared cache and each time it came back. I decided not to “Accept All” and chose the process above and since then no more problems. Don’t get me wrong I have in the past not had the congrats pop up when Accept All has been clicked on. This congrats pop up virus seems to come and go a few weeks at a time.

Be warned if you clear your cache/history after doing this it could come back again until you “reject all” again.