Converting a brick shed into a home office

pablozabaleta

I'm looking at converting our outside shed into a home office space. It's attached to the house already so I'm guessing there would be no need to get planning permission just to get rid of all the shit in it and do it up. No idea how much it would all cost but I'm sure I could keep the costs down by doing some of the work my self.

The list of things which would need to be done include:

Damp proofing
Insulating
Plaster boards
Electrics
New window and door

Has anyone done anything like this, or has any advice?

Make sure it's secure, office equipment, computers etc, are very attractive to thieves.

You could plasterboard inside and skim over, then maybe wallpaper, this would also keep the heat in.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there would be any requirement to inform the council.

I did it to a shack in France.
Dry lined walls, damp proof membrane on floor, insulate roof space then put in a ceiling, wired it, installed an ensuite.
Good to go.

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Make sure it's secure, office equipment, computers etc, are very attractive to thieves.

You could plasterboard inside and skim over, then maybe wallpaper, this would also keep the heat in.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there would be any requirement to inform the council.

Plasterboard will not have any decent insulation properties unless you use the stuff with PIR panels bonded to it (Celotex etc.). There is a requirement to tell the council as the installation of thermal insulation needs building control sign-off. It may need planning permission as you are changing a storage space into a habitable room. Generally it is not a problem if you are not extending it or drastically altering its appearance, but some properties have had their permitted development rights removed.

Some local authorities are having a purge on unauthorised conversions, as they can put a strain on public amenities. However, this is generally in areas where there is a high population of migrant workers and unscrupulous landlords are stacking economic migrants six deep in a potting shed.

Planning departments are usually very helpful if you call them for advice. The alternative is be sneaky and just get on with it, but beware of nosey neighbours who might snitch, and remember if you try to sell the house, it could be picked up on a survey.

Blue Mist said:
Why don't you use your loft instead ?

The costs involved with doing a loft conversion are coming back at being around £20,000 +

denislawsbackheel said:
I did it to a shack in France.
Dry lined walls, damp proof membrane on floor, insulate roof space then put in a ceiling, wired it, installed an ensuite.
Good to go.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to complete, and how much did it cost in total?

foxy said:
Whitehall are taking serious cuts then? ;)

You're not kidding.

A portacabin in Belgium has just been designated 'the foreign office'.

And meetings in the Cabinet office are about to get very very cramped.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.