Converting ISAs

sir baconface

Any financial whizz kids who can advise on this, please?

I have Stocks & Shares ISAs which I want to move into joint names. ISA rules don’t allow that so I’m assuming I’d need either to transfer to a joint general account on the same investment fund platform (if feasible) or sell and re-buy the investments.

Basically, I’m looking for a work around that minimises dealing costs and tax implications.

Cheers if anyone can help.

[P.S. In accordance with Bluemoon protocol, I’ve already torched the investment manager’s office and dry-bummed the tea lady. ]

I don’t think you can transfer investments between the different types of accounts. I’ve just done some the other way - from an general investing account into an ISA, and had to sell them and transfer the cash and re-buy them in the ISA.

If you’re moving them from the ISA you wouldn’t have to pay tax when selling them in the ISA. You could be creating a tax liability further down the line. Not just CGT, but potentially tax on dividends too.

I don’t think you can transfer investments between the different types of accounts. I’ve just done some the other way - from an general investing account into an ISA, and had to sell them and transfer the cash and re-buy them in the ISA.

If you’re moving them from the ISA you wouldn’t have to pay tax when selling them in the ISA. You could be creating a tax liability further down the line. Not just CGT, but potentially tax on dividends too.

Thanks Mr Cranker. I guess that was what I feared. It would involve some outlay on dealing costs plus potential tax exposure, although I suspect the latter could be managed with personal allowances and reliefs.

I work in the field so my advice is to convert to cash and then reinvest once youve transferred then move to a dealing account as it you hold foreign stock it can take weeks to transfer stock unless you hold US stock

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.