Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 is wrong and don't let the MP's and Government Scientists convince you otherwise.

There was an absolute ton of evidence that asymptomatic transmission was possible just look at the diamond princess papers from February 2020 which gave an ideal scenario of a contained environment spreading asymptomatically. They just choose to ignore the science published in other countries (even Italy and Spain had papers asymptomatic transmission before it kicked off here). They appeared to go down a mypoic UK centric point of view blaming poor UK data when actually you could just look at Italy as see what was going on.

for 2 they could have put them in covid recovery hotels pretty easily

3 is fair enough. It's been awfully run from the start to this day but they've got the vaccines rollout right so fair dos. I do believe they are trying the best.
Fair enough, a stated case. Thanks for that.
1. Neither of us know what the advice was. For example, a minister may have challenged quoting belief elsewhere, only to be told that NICE had assessed that as faulty. That's why I said wait for the enquiry.
2. Ppl who are in care are there for a reason. I doubt your solution would have been viable. Who would look after them?

Last edited:
Last night I caught a local bus into Altrincham, a short journey of maybe ten minutes. In that time five adults got onto the bus, the oldest probably about 45, the youngest, about 18. Not one had a mask on, not one was challenged by the driver, who also was maskless. This was in spite of signs everywhere saying masks must be worn. On the tram later plenty without masks as well, mostly young adults 18-45. I sat there with my mask on thinking what's the point? No wonder it's spreading rapidly amongst younger people and throughout the region.

I do understand that and I don’t make light of the situation so many millions are in particularly job wise and financially especially in the travel/entertainment industry.

But in terms that we’re all living in a totalitarian state and our lives are all being controlled and oppressed like that particular poster makes out - then yes, it becomes tedious
I agree. Just for some its still awful

i know its only money but its still a humongous worry when youre struggling to pay the bills

anyway, peace out

Some good news on the variant from but it relates more to the world, and the future for the UK. I emboldened the key conclusion.

Paper title: Neutralization of SARS-CoV-2 VOC 501Y.V2 by human antisera elicited by both inactivated BBIBP-CorV and recombinant dimeric RBD ZF2001 vaccines)

Abstract​

Recently, the emerged and rapidly spreading SARS-CoV-2 variant of concern (VOC) 501Y.V2 with 10 amino acids in spike protein were found to escape host immunity induced by infection or vaccination. Global concerns have been raised for its potential to affect vaccine efficacy. Here, we evaluated the neutralization activities of two vaccines developed in China against 501Y.V2. One is licensed inactivated vaccine BBIBP-CorV and the other one is recombinant dimeric receptor-binding domain (RBD) vaccine ZF2001. Encouragingly, both vaccines largely preserved neutralizing titres, with slightly reduction, against 501Y.V2 authentic virus compare to their titres against both original SARS-CoV-2 and the currently circulating D614G virus. These data indicated that 501Y.V2 variant will not escape the immunity induced by vaccines targeting whole virus or RBD.

My comment: Chinese vaccines are largely inactivated whole virus, and the UK has huge contract with Valneva and GSK. Valneva is whole virus. I think GSK targets a sub-unit but possibly not the same as mRNA vaccines. Not sure without re-checking.

So with any luck just when the efficacy of the current vaccines decline, we'll have booster jabs which wont be as badly affected by the ongoing erosion that the current spike targeted vaccines face.

Last edited:
The case fatality must be moving all over the place as vaccine effectiveness, virulence and immunity change.
If you look in the genomics data you can find one new escape mutation has been discovered 73 times in the last 28 days. The potential for future strains is there. That imo is why they want to dampen this down.
Well done for not saying ‘variant’ ! How long has it been now ?

(I jest by the way before you call me a knob… again )

Until there’s another variant and then another sorry mate, I’ve observed all the rules, I’ve worked all through it, now it’s time, I’m done. Open the country up but stop foreign travel coming in unless they quarantine if need be.
See my comment about whole virus vaccines. The first wave of vaccines that the UK and US selected were very effective but they are also very focused on a piece of the virus that turned out to be more mutagenic than anticipated.
Well done for not saying ‘variant’ ! How long has it been now ?

(I jest by the way before you call me a knob… again )
This epidemic continues because of variants that is why we are still commenting on this thread. The original Wuhan virus is all but extinct. Even the Kent variant is almost beat in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.