Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
MERS is still about, keeps occasionally jumping from Camels to humans and starting over again.

but as you say, easy to track as only transmissible while symptomatic. and far more severe than SARS or Covid so easier to detect/trap.

Edit: missread your post. though you said "did" rather than "do"

But what if a new variant pops up that means MERS becomes transmissible whilst asymptomatic?

The way we are going we will be in a further lockdown rather than moving towards so called freedom day. :-(

The whole "freedom day" schtick gets on my tits TBH.

And even moreso the seeming insistence from Johnson, Hancock et al to insist everything is hunky dory when it's blindingly obvious it isn't, right up to the last minute when there's a screeching U turn.

But I don't think we'll get another lockdown. Aside from being politically ruinous, I don't think the damage could be rationally justified given the much lower death an hospitalisation rate, and the likely impact of further vaccination on slowing and reducing the peak of the wave regardless.

Do we have criteria for "freedom day"? I don't recall anything objective, just vague words about potential to overwhelm NHS.

So 10% being double dosed ties in near exactly with the study on how effective the vaccines are?

Yes, but that's just a coincidence.

For instance...

If the vaccine was 90% effective, and 95% of people had been double dosed, then you'd expect 2/3 of people in hospital to be double dosed, all things being equal. Because (10% of 95%) in hospital is ~twice (100% of 5%)

The proportion hospitalised depends on the ages of those exposed, the proportion vaccinated and the vaccine effectiveness.

But what if a new variant pops up that means MERS becomes transmissible whilst asymptomatic?
Honestly, we'd be in the real shit. Case Fatality rate for MERS is about 35% compared to 1% for Covid.

Still seems to hit over 60's the most mind you. so maybe it would level out a lot.

The whole "freedom day" schtick gets on my tits TBH.

And even moreso the seeming insistence from Johnson, Hancock et al to insist everything is hunky dory when it's blindingly obvious it isn't, right up to the last minute when there's a screeching U turn.

But I don't think we'll get another lockdown. Aside from being politically ruinous, I don't think the damage could be rationally justified given the much lower death an hospitalisation rate, and the likely impact of further vaccination on slowing and reducing the peak of the wave regardless.

Do we have criteria for "freedom day"? I don't recall anything objective, just vague words about potential to overwhelm NHS.
I dont know tbh. Just totally cheesed off with this virus and the knock on effect it is having on my family.

It’s not untested as you’ve been told a million times before you fucking idiot.
You really think it’s gone through the same rigorous testing a normal vaccination would? Yes, I know there was a reason it was rushed but my point still stands. You’re probably in denial of how Ill some healthy people have become from the vaccine too.

The way we are going we will be in a further lockdown rather than moving towards so called freedom day. :-(
Don't let the fear mongering get to you.

Remember Boris Johnson said he expects things to get worse before the 19th of July. This is all expected.

By the 19th of July, we'll have jabbed MILLIONS more people. Over 80% of the population have anti-bodies now. This is COVIDs last hurrah in the UK and it's probably better that cases are higher now than leading into flu season.

Sadly people are dying now. Barely any, but some. Most of those are incredibly frail/have severe underlying illnesses/refused the vaccine/died with COVID, not because of COVID.

The NHS has been protected/saved, there is no longer a need to lockdown and even the Tories aren't stupid enough to get that wrong.

You really think it’s gone through the same rigorous testing a normal vaccination would? Yes, I know there was a reason it was rushed but my point still stands. You’re probably in denial of how Ill some healthy people have become from the vaccine too.
Yes of course it fucking was. The speed was faster because no waiting for funding, no waiting for volunteers, no waiting for government approvals. Everything was expedited in a global effort. Tit.

It was just what roubaixtuesday had worked out based on 4% of case numbers ending up in hospital and case numbers rising steeply, which is what they are doing.​

One way of looking at it is to compare with what happened before. The last time there were 16,000 daily cases on a rising curve was 5 Oct last year. At that point there were >500 daily admissions. This time we are just over 200. The link isn't broken but its obviously weakened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.