Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t agree with most of that. what about people taking personal responsibility they know eating takeaways 5 times a week is bad. And that is rubbish about fast food being cheaper, a lean protein (chicken, 5% fat beef, turkey, smoked bass fillets etc) are under £1 a portion, rice or potato is next to nothing and brocolli, cauliflower and other green veg is about 60p. It’s an easy excuse saying it’s cheaper to eat junk. A curry or Chinese is at least £6 compared to £2.50 for a healthy meal.

Think the difference with the stats now is that everyone else is posting in here less because there's minimal impact to peoples day to day.

So it can just be stats after stats now as there are less other posts.

Thanks to you all for the comments. It is appreciated.

I really do get why some people think this is somehow an ego trip by me for posting data.

But they are wrong. As I have said many times the day is coming when it will not be something we do as we will choose to live with Covid and will need to sideline numbers because they will only get in the way of doing that.

More and more people will drift away from this thread. That will be a good day. I will very much welcome it. As I suspect will most here. But whilst there are still briefings and committees and threats of further restrictions the data will still be out there and debated in the media daily and reported often with their own agenda.

I started doing this in Spring 2020 because I was alerted to the excellent data Gelson's Dad was posting every day. He got driven off here then at the start of this pandemic and never returned. I have no idea why at that time when we were in a huge mess anyone would not want to see the data and decide for themselves rather than be told what it means by whatever media source you happened to follow. But I just took over doing what he was doing because I missed the raw numbers.

There truly has never been anything else to it but that. I have no need to chase followers or publicity. Indeed I actively avoid it. As those who know me understand.

As a writer I have worked with and for the media much of my life. Been employed by both ITV and BBC to do so on projects also. I know their agenda all too well. Been at the sharp end of it more than once in the press despite not being remotely famous as they can and do spin stories as they see fit. So I know the importance of facts over spin.

If I was interested in some kind of self promotion or glory I would be giving my real name and it might even sell a few more books. But I have deliberately avoided doing that as my only intention was to offer up the numbers in the way Gelson's Dad was prevented from doing. I do not want to be part of the story. Just the poster of numbers because I happen to have the time to do this. Which most other people who are younger than me or have ties that I no longer do will have.

When enough people drift away or it becomes obvious the time is right to stop paying daily attention to the numbers I will know it is time to stop posting them.

Or indeed if I am asked to do so by those left on here I will do the same. I have more books to write (indeed just got the proof copy of one I managed to write despite apparently spending all day every day on here posting earlier this year). And I write every month for a newsstand magazine. These are on subjects about as far removed from Covid as you can imagine.

I will be delighted to get back to that and never have to think about Covid again. That day is coming. And the sooner the better for me as well as I am sure most of you.

Last edited:
Think the difference with the stats now is that everyone else is posting in here less because there's minimal impact to peoples day to day.

So it can just be stats after stats now as there are less other posts.
Yes I had noticed that too - hence my saying above that the time is coming when stat reporting will be redundant. I look forward to that day. Though I imagine some reading this will think I will be devastated they could not be more wrong.

The thread being full of stats will speed its ending I suspect. The politics thread will likely last a lot longer but I will not migrate to there. When it is over it will be over.

GM WEEKLY POP SCORES

AS OF LAST NIGHT

Remember low scores good - going down good - high scores bad - going up bad

BOROUGH // POP SCORE TODAY // POP SCORE LAST WEEK // UP OR DOWN BY LAST 7 DAYS

Also WAS 4 weeks ago (up/down in past month)

BOLTON 276 // 249 // UP 27 WAS 176 (up 100)

BURY 312 // 309 // UP 3 WAS 329 (Down 17)

ROCHDALE 319 // 292 // UP 27 WAS 220 (up 99)

MANCHESTER 324 // 275 //UP 49 WAS 279 (up 45)

OLDHAM 349 // 209 // UP 140 WAS 304 (up 45)

WIGAN 366 // 281 // UP 85 WAS 179 (up 171)

TRAFFORD 367 // 328 // UP 39 WAS 329 (up 38)

SALFORD 372 // 330 // UP 42 WAS 214 (Up 158)

STOCKPORT 394 // 357 // UP 37 WAS 304 (up 90)

TAMESIDE 487 // 416 // UP 71 WAS 278 (Up 209)

Bolton the only one left in the 200s. Though it was up again today.

But Bury the only borough down v a month ago. So probably doing the best right now.

Tameside is clearly in most trouble and nearly 100 ahead of the rest now and rising daily towards 500.

Though Oldham is rising both fastest and the most right now and could soon shoot up the table.

Stockport jumped up again. But the rest of GM is now closer behind than was.

This is the final day of the low numbers a month ago caused by the population redistribution and from tonight's data the comparison month to month will become more meaningful.

Last edited:
Playing Devil’s advocate, and this is just my opinion and of course I understand if people want to dismiss my comments with a jibe, but….

Personally, I think we are now beyond the point where we need the breakdowns of regional figures, splits within Greater Manchester, regional splits for hospitalisation etc etc.

@Healdplace has done a remarkable job over the last 12/18 months in keeping us updated, I personally still pop into this thread every day to glance read, I feel I’ve moved on from being “addicted” to this thread, but I do think that people don’t take as much notice of the split figures as they used to, certainly no one comments about them.

We are going to be living with covid for a while, maybe forever, and just a nice set of daily stats on the various headline figures, including obviously a country split etc, would be all that i think is now required.

Anyway, just my 2p’s worth.
And that’s cool. You don’t have to look at/form an opinion from the figures. Others still do. People are different.

And that’s cool. You don’t have to look at/form an opinion from the figures. Others still do. People are different.
I really appreciate this feedback, And I am not far off thinking much the same myself.

At some point when the thread wants to do so please organise a vote and as and when that vote says to do as you suggest I will very gladly comply.

Democracy should decide.

Meantime I will keep posting the numbers until asked not to do so. And people can easily skip reading the data as I know very well many already must do. Which is 100% OK with me.

I really appreciate this feedback, And I am not far off thinking much the same myself.

At some point when the thread wants to do so please organise a vote and as and when that vote says to do as you suggest I will very gladly comply.

Democracy should decide.

Meantime I will keep posting the numbers until asked not to do so. And people can easily skip reading the data as I know very well many already must do. Which is 100% OK with me.
I think you’ll know the right time to stop. You’re clearly a highly intellectual person with a nose for what is important and when.

When you start thinking that we’ve broken the back of this virus, you’ll have a gut feeling that the stats don’t matter anymore.

I would trust that judgement far more than randomers that pop up briefly from time to time.

Some people need to believe that the pandemic is over to cope mentally. Others need to see the data to believe we still have it under control, whilst the rest probably look at the figures as a guide to see where we are up to. (I’m probably in the last category)

As you suggest, people aren’t as glued to them anymore as we have some semblance of normality returning, but whilst Covid is bubbling away in the background, I think the figures are still warranted.

WALES DATA

9 deaths - was 5 last week

2297 cases - was 2275 last week - Pretty flat

11.7% positivity - was 12.5% last week - this starting to fall is a good sign

404 patients - was 322 last week

50 ventilated - was 45 last week

Hospital numbers still rising as they will lag cases by at least a few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.