Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
South Africa have said Countries red listing them are overreacting because they / we won’t know if it’s a mild or serious illness (with the new variant) for another couple of weeks. So far it’s mainly younger people contracting it who don’t tend to get very ill with the virus;
Yet in Gauteng hospital admissions continue to rise.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...ions-rise-in-gauteng-as-new-variant-rocks-sa/

As I mentioned above, still too early to say definitively.

Talking out of your backside.
The major study the other week found that wearing masks reduces transmission by 50%
Also which EU country with the least transmission has the tightest mask wearing regirme - Spain.
I wasnt talking about masks! I support wearing masks, that people dont understand the purpose of the mask at this stage baffles me. I was just saying a person who is vaccinated and gets covid is just as infective as someone infected that hasnt had the vaccine.

They could both be correct.

It could be transmissible to all but only serious for the unvaccinated.

If that’s confirmed then no problem.
Blimey. :-)

That could be a very serious problem in countries where there have been insufficient supplies of vaccine or poor uptake. Similarly, if it took hold in Europe and led to mass hospitalisations of the unvaccinated, it would have devastating societal consequences for everyone, including the vaccinated.

I’m praying that it is transmissible but leading to mild symptoms but it’s too early to know.

I was just saying a person who is vaccinated and gets covid is just as infective as someone infected that hasnt had the vaccine.

This is incorrect, though often repeated. Although it's fundamentally difficult to quantify, most studies seem to show that there is, indeed, a reducing in transmission of you're vaccinated.

An analysis from the ONS Community Infection Survey found that contacts of vaccinated index cases had around 65-80% reduced odds of testing positive with the Alpha variant and 35 to 65% reduced odds of testing positive with the Delta variant compare to contacts of unvaccinated index cases

From PHE vaccine surveillance report.

The key for us in the UK is how effective are our immunity going to be against this new variant. I strongly suspect that Pfizer, and the experts already know because they have sequenced the virus. Once you sequence the genome, then you know the primary sequence of the protein that follows. And when you know the sequence of amino acids, you can predict the confirmation of the protein and then you can model whether antibodies will still bind to it. When they say that they have done desktop studies, that is what they mean. Then they have to move from 'in silico' to 'in vitro' and that is when they will know for sure.

I am hoping that the booster vaccine will hold off serious infection and then that will allow is a window to develop another vaccine, if it's needed. It has been reported that Valneva is due to deliver a whole virus inactivated vaccine to the EU in the 2nd quarter of 2022 and Pfizer, Moderna can develop new vaccines in 100 days. So we should be OK.

IMO we could have developed boosters and vaccines against Delta but the pharma industry did not bother because they knew another variant was on the way and it just wouldn't work producing a new vaccine every 6 months. People just wouldn't take them.

This is incorrect, though often repeated. Although it's fundamentally difficult to quantify, most studies seem to show that there is, indeed, a reducing in transmission of you're vaccinated.

An analysis from the ONS Community Infection Survey found that contacts of vaccinated index cases had around 65-80% reduced odds of testing positive with the Alpha variant and 35 to 65% reduced odds of testing positive with the Delta variant compare to contacts of unvaccinated index cases

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00648-4/fulltext 'Nonetheless, fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections have peak viral load similar to unvaccinated cases and can efficiently transmit infection in household settings, including to fully vaccinated contacts.'

Blimey. :-)

That could be a very serious problem in countries where there have been insufficient supplies of vaccine or poor uptake. Similarly, if it took hold in Europe and led to mass hospitalisations of the unvaccinated, it would have devastating societal consequences for everyone, including the vaccinated.

I’m praying that it is transmissible but leading to mild symptoms but it’s too early to know.
Agreed.

I meant in this country where everyone who wants to be vaccinated could get it within days if they tried.

I am pretty sure I read a report that this changed with the Delta variant and that vaccinated carriers had just as high viral loads in their nasal passages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.