Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key for us in the UK is how effective are our immunity going to be against this new variant. I strongly suspect that Pfizer, and the experts already know because they have sequenced the virus. Once you sequence the genome, then you know the primary sequence of the protein that follows. And when you know the sequence of amino acids, you can predict the confirmation of the protein and then you can model whether antibodies will still bind to it. When they say that they have done desktop studies, that is what they mean. Then they have to move from 'in silico' to 'in vitro' and that is when they will know for sure.

I am hoping that the booster vaccine will hold off serious infection and then that will allow is a window to develop another vaccine, if it's needed. It has been reported that Valneva is due to deliver a whole virus inactivated vaccine to the EU in the 2nd quarter of 2022 and Pfizer, Moderna can develop new vaccines in 100 days. So we should be OK.

IMO we could have developed boosters and vaccines against Delta but the pharma industry did not bother because they knew another variant was on the way and it just wouldn't work producing a new vaccine every 6 months. People just wouldn't take them.
I'm sure i read Pfizer, moderna should be able to develop new vaccines in a lot less than 100 days..?

Blimey. :-)

That could be a very serious problem in countries where there have been insufficient supplies of vaccine or poor uptake. Similarly, if it took hold in Europe and led to mass hospitalisations of the unvaccinated, it would have devastating societal consequences for everyone, including the vaccinated.

I’m praying that it is transmissible but leading to mild symptoms but it’s too early to know.
thats why poorer countries should be helped to enth degree to get them vaccinated, as they say were not safe until were all safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.