Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was good for your friend but three quarters of applicants are getting rejected. That was believed to be a factor as to why only 4% of Scousers came forward for the failed mass testing exercise. It might be that the wrong people were applying (eg Scouse opportunism) or the scheme is too difficult for many people to make successful applications.
Fair enough but a 500 pound payment to anyone who gets it is barmy. Just "trusting" people to then isolate is crazy and impossible to monitor.

It also needs looking at because for example my cousin who works for Poundland, or whatever it's called, has been told that because he's been self isolating due to a warning on the app, they are not letting him return to work unless he provides a clear test result. But he has no symptoms and is not eligible for a free test. He's on zero hours and earns bugger all.
Yeah, that’s just plain wrong. He should just blag a test if that’s the case. I know it’s not strictly the right thing to do but there’s loads of testing capacity these days, and it’s not like he’d be blagging a test so he could go on holiday or something. I’d far sooner someone did that than all those who lie in terms of ignoring symptoms and then go on to spread it through the workplace and beyond.

Some people are blatantly flouting the rules. My neighbour went to work the other week to a factory who make you go and get a test if you have symptoms or live with someone who has tested positive or been advised to isolate via test and trace etc... when they come back with a negative test result (text message) they are forwarding it to colleagues who test positive, who edit the text so they can come in to work, show the employer they have a “negative” test result - as they get no sick pay!!!
This is the reason the government want to pay£500 for a positive test

This definitely needs looking at. They need to widen the list of symptoms that qualify for a test. As it happens, first thing Monday morning when I was in work and the text came through from a colleague that he’d tested positive the 4 of us who were in work all went for a test despite not showing any symptoms at the time because we’d all been in contact with the infected guy the week before (very close contact in my case because he’d given me a lift to work all week), and sure enough we all tested positive.
I think it's right to maybe expand testing to more symptoms but the capacity isn't there to do it all. If you imagine if everyone with a cold went for a test then we'd need the capacity to do millions per day.

Lab testing capacity has ramped up to around 800,000 per day and right now they are doing a lot less tests than that, something like 400,000 per day. The good thing about having high capacity and low tests is they can turnaround results quickly.

Obviously though the problem here is why are only 400,000 people being tested per day when it seems the virus is spreading around by the millions. No-one can really answer this, it's either due to the 'wrong' symptoms, people just aren't going for tests or less people have it and the numbers are completely wrong.

Hopefully...it’s last stand.
I can deal with the tiredness & a half arsed cough if that’s what it evolves into.
Then it’s a case of getting my strength & sanity back. I’ll post up how I feel later today.

how are you btw?

cheers.

Doing ok cheers. Managing out for some fresh air, building up walks and managing ok. Still a bit lethargic and every now and then get some tight sensation around the chest but it seems to go away. Think I can slightly notice taste coming back too, smell not so much but on the right track.

Not bad thanks mate. Symptoms started Monday so on day 5 now. Been quite mild so far - think Tuesday was the worst day where I had little energy and didn’t get out of bed. Just been managing it with paracetamol, etc. Other half has even milder symptoms than me and hoping it stays that way as she suffered a subarachnoid brain haemorrhage back in August. From what I’ve read, days 5-10 can be key as to which way it goes so we’re not out of the woods yet.

Fingers crossed for you mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.