Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further to the figure of 0.04% of people in Israel catching Covid after having both doses of the vaccine the hospitalisation rate of the same group is 0.002%. This equates to two people in a thousand. This is incredible efficiency.

Need to wait for a bigger sample size but very promising

and resistance?
Well the SA variant reduces double Pfizer vaccine effectiveness to 85% from 95%, more so than the Kent variant (which only minimally reduces vaccine effectiveness).
So the SA variant is more likely (just) to survive herd immunity. Though new mutations that bypass vaccine immunity completely are the real ones to worry about.

Thank you everyone. Long way to go yet as Covid ravaged my lungs but I'm assured by a couple of consultants that once day 14 is out of the way, you start the recovery and once you start recovery you don’t relapse, it’s just how long it takes to recover the damage - but you will recover.

Fantastic staff at Oldham Royal I must say, albeit not a hospital to rest and recover I don’t think I slept long than 90 minutes in a week. Staff are faultless though, and it never ceases to amaze me how these somewhat normal people can pick out a smile in you, you didn’t realise you had.

The SA variant case that seeded these cases probably arrived many weeks ago. Remember the first Kent variant case was traced back to mid September.
The good news is that the SA strain is unlikely to be more infectious than the Kent variant so is unlikely to take over for now. When we approach herd immunity the SA variant might takeover however as the Kent variant is more vulnerable to the vaccine.

Which begs the question as to why our border controls are still half arsed at best. I genuinely don't get it, why are we content to allow this to happen without a single hint of any lessons being learned? I can forgive initial mistakes, I can't forgive living the same story over and over again because we can't be arsed trying hard enough.

Further to the figure of 0.04% of people in Israel catching Covid after having both doses of the vaccine the hospitalisation rate of the same group is 0.002%. This equates to two people in a thousand. This is incredible efficiency.

It’s 2 in 100,000, total of 16 people in ca 715k in the article

11 recent SA variant cases found in England with no travel links​

In the past five to six days, officials in England have identified 11 cases of the South Africa variant with no links to travel, the BBC has been told.
The affected postcodes are:
  • London: W7, N17, CR4
  • West Midlands: WS2
  • South-east England: ME15, GU21
  • East of England: EN10
  • North-west England: PR9
Adults in these areas are being strongly urged to come forward for testing - whether they have symptoms or not.
The government is sending in mobile testing units and will work with local public health teams, including carrying out door-to-door testing. About 80,000 people will be offered tests.

Its more than that it seems VERY localised, My brother with no issues and only just into the 65 - 70 age bracket got his jab about 8 days after my friend over 20 years older than him and who has been on the official shielding list due to multiple issues since the start of the pandemic.

They live in the same GM borough and only a mile or so apart.

Well as we are doing in this programme it looks more random rather than a carefully planned strategy to reach the most vulnerable first and go in order.

This is why the redistribution of vaccine from the NW to London as of yesterday was worrying me. If I was sure this was being done because it was to equalise the giving out of vaccine to the more vulnerable the above would not already be happening to the obvious extent it is.

Outside the need to offer jabs last minute to younger ones in the right place at the right time to ensure missed appointments do not result in wasting vaccine. Which of course should be happening as it is from reports in here.

I guess this is something never attempted before. There are bound to be a few cock ups. As long as we get it right in the end that's OK.

And we are in a far better place than 90% of the planet so waiting a few weeks when they may be waiting a year is something we should all be grateful for.

The sooner we get this done on the over 50s and vulnerable the sooner we can ship out all those miillions of spare doses we have on order to the rest of the planet in dire need. As we should be making very clear right now is exactly what we will do.

That's been my view.
I don't see why the disparity is so great - there seems no reason if they are trying to work by band. Lancashire thought it might get all over 50s done by early March if the supply held, which looks totally out of sync with other areas (so I understood a Lancashire Post article).

England hospital deaths 3 wks v 2 wks v last wk v Today

489 / 13 NW/ 2.7%

532 / 45 NW / 8.5%

609 / 54 NW / 8.9%

356 / 23 NW / 6.5% Today

As you can see the % is always low on Mondays due to the weekend reporting issue being worse in the NW than all other areas That has been true across the pandemic.

The numbers and the NW percentage will rise but this is a fall in either sense and the fall in the total week to week is the most stark we have been having in the past week in these numbers which have started to trend down.

Here are the last 7 week to week England hospital deaths with NW share in brackets)

Last Monday to Today v 7 days before it

Mon 609 (54) v 532 (45)

Tue 875 (109) v 842 (103)

Wed 973 (138) v 1027 (124)

Thu 907 (121) v 789 (99)

Fri 744 (94) v 993 (94)

Sat 681 (88) v 710 (70)

Sun 563 (82) v 623 (64)

TODAY 356 (23) v 609 (54)

We should wait to see how the three big mid week catch up dates impact the numbers but at the moment it is starting to look like a noticeable fall in deaths has begun even earlier than we might have expected.

As we started vaccinating before lockdown by a couple of weeks that is more likely the reason as any reduction in deaths from lockdown might not yet be anticipated to show.

Cautiously good news But too early to call for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.