Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was convenient for the EU to blame AZ for their own failings and EU scientists were cleariy willing to join in.

The smear campaign against AZ, politically by EU states (particularly France and Germany) and highly likely by the other pharmaceutical companies has been scandalous, and nobody seems to be talking about it.

THAT is super interesting and I wonder how it will be explained away to satisfy any doubters.

I'm not pro or against anything, I'm just trying to navigate through the shit, like everyone else.

You know, for people that "don't understand the science" when we've been told how much these viruses remain on hard surfaces for an x amount of time and all that...
It shouldn't be any real surprise really, the odds of you catching COVID in public are extremely small. Add in masks and the risk reduces, add in social distancing and it reduces pretty much to irrelevant levels (think 1 in tens of thousands). It's why the ping test and trace thing is just a complete waste of time.

I'd love to know the positive hit rate between someone who gets pinged and then later goes to test positive themselves. I bet it's lower than 5% (it must be given the huge difference between daily pings and daily cases), and then a massive proportion will be people in the same house or pinged due to being at their mates etc.

If anything most studies seem to point out that we shouldn't need social distancing or masks in public, especially outdoors which is nonsense. If we follow the evidence alone then the only place that we should be wearing masks and social distancing is when we visit other peoples homes but guess what that has never been a rule.

It shouldn't be any real surprise really, the odds of you catching COVID in public are extremely small. Add in masks and the risk reduces, add in social distancing and it reduces pretty much to irrelevant levels (think 1 in tens of thousands). It's why the ping test and trace thing is just a complete waste of time.

I'd love to know the positive hit rate between someone who gets pinged and then later goes to test positive themselves. I bet it's lower than 5% (it must be given the huge difference between daily pings and daily cases), and then a massive proportion will be people in the same house or pinged due to being at their mates etc.

If anything most studies seem to point out that we shouldn't need social distancing or masks in public, especially outdoors which is nonsense. If we follow the evidence alone then the only place that we should be wearing masks and social distancing is when we visit other peoples homes but guess what that has never been a rule.
I'll wear a mask on public transport and visits to hospital or doctors...personal choice

The smear campaign against AZ, politically by EU states (particularly France and Germany) and highly likely by the other pharmaceutical companies has been scandalous, and nobody seems to be talking about it.
The Express never stops going on about it which is more than likely an indicator that it's not a smear campaign at all, more a series of unfortunate events leading to a loss of confidence in the AZ vaccine. The politicians haven't helped but calling it a smear campaign is stretching things a bit. Don't forget that AZ is Swedish as much as British and has a Swedish chairman and a French CEO so the EU have nothing to gain by attacking one its own most successful companies even if it is shared with the UK.

THAT is super interesting and I wonder how it will be explained away to satisfy any doubters.

I'm not pro or against anything, I'm just trying to navigate through the shit, like everyone else.

You know, for people that "don't understand the science" when we've been told how much these viruses remain on hard surfaces for an x amount of time and all that...

Largely, because it was an unknown virus so there was an abundance of caution. The transmission off surfaces vector has been significantly downgraded and the focus is now on ventilation, distance and masks which makes sense as it is an airborne transmitted virus.

The Express never stops going on about it which is more than likely an indicator that it's not a smear campaign at all, more a series of unfortunate events leading to a loss of confidence in the AZ vaccine. The politicians haven't helped but calling it a smear campaign is stretching things a bit. Don't forget that AZ is Swedish as much as British and has a Swedish chairman and a French CEO so the EU have nothing to gain by attacking one its own most successful companies even if it is shared with the UK.

AZ aren’t making a profit out of it remember. The other firms are, and have enormous lobbying power.

And I’d say in a cloud of brexit the French and Germans in terms of political optics have a lot to gain by downplaying the success of a British designed vaccine.

I’m a staunch remainer btw.

AZ aren’t making a profit out of it remember. The other firms are, and have enormous lobbying power.

And I’d say in a cloud of brexit the French and Germans in terms of political optics have a lot to gain by downplaying the success of a British designed vaccine.

I’m a staunch remainer btw.
Which makes you laugh at how the rare AZ clotting episodes were significant news for months but have we read as much about Pfizer or Moderna heart inflammation?

It was convenient for the EU to blame AZ for their own failings and EU scientists were cleariy willing to join in.

And UK scientists who recommended under forties be offered an alternative to the AZ vaccine. The ‘EU scientists’, ie the EMA, imposed no such caveats. And they say irony is dead.

Not to mention the US which has still not authorised the use of AZ.

That said, the handling of the AZ vaccine has been a tragedy. Starting with AZ and the way it conducted the trials and the data, then agreeing to the UK demand for priority (contrary to Johnson’s commitment not to do this) which left the EU procurement in a temporary bind and in turn led to European leaders, ie Macron, putting the boot in and the EU effectively shutting AZ out going forward.

The AZ vaccine could have been the one leading the way. Instead short sighted leadership at company level and at national level (UK, France, US) led it down a cul-de-sac. For those behind the vaccine it must make them weep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.