Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are A+Es especially busy with people using hospitals because of (seemingly) doctors not wanting to see people?
Unfortunately I think this is the case. Spent 4 hours in A&E myself last week with my daughter after a fall at school, and the GP could only offer a telephone call some time within the next 6 hours despite her complaining of back pain and sleepiness.

So off we went to A&E. I didn't want to be there, she didn't want to be there, but even though you're 90% sure all is ok you can't take the chance. If the GP won't help then it falls on A&E. I'd say 8 of 10 others on the crammed waiting room were in the same boat.

But there's a shower of hell heading for my local GP anyway. The receptionists seemingly are told to triage calls now, telling my disabled mum to just go to the pharmacy for pain relief rather than give her an appointment recently. Three days of her putting up with the pain later, and a family intervention, she was in A&E also and being told if she'd left it another night she's be at death's door, for something highly preventable.

would it be legal for the BBC to ‘sack’ the dancers because they are unjabbed?
They do not have to sack them, Only a few each year get paired with a celebrity. Others take part in the group dances each week. The ones paired with celebrities have close one to one contact with the celeb all week so far more than the others who rehearse together but not with the celebs. It should have been only from the pool of vaccinated dancers that those paired with celebs this year were chosen. They scaled the whole show back last year to reduce the number of celebs so as to minimise the risk of Covid as that was pre vaccine. So it is just a surprise they seem to have not built ths year around minimising the risk of an outbreak as that could easily scupper the show mid series if a celeb has to self isolate because their unjabbed partner has caught Covid.

Unfortunately I think this is the case. Spent 4 hours in A&E myself last week with my daughter after a fall at school, and the GP could only offer a telephone call some time within the next 6 hours despite her complaining of back pain and sleepiness.

So off we went to A&E. I didn't want to be there, she didn't want to be there, but even though you're 90% sure all is ok you can't take the chance. If the GP won't help then it falls on A&E. I'd say 8 of 10 others on the crammed waiting room were in the same boat.

But there's a shower of hell heading for my local GP anyway. The receptionists seemingly are told to triage calls now, telling my disabled mum to just go to the pharmacy for pain relief rather than give her an appointment recently. Three days of her putting up with the pain later, and a family intervention, she was in A&E also and being told if she'd left it another night she's be at death's door, for something highly preventable.
Its not a recent thing doctors receptionists acting like they spent 5 years at med school. Im very lucky that my visits to the doctors are rare but pre covid its always been difficult to actually get an app at our doctors without the receptionist wanting to know the ins n outs of a ducks ring piece.

Good news what Dame Sarah Gilbert says, which I have been suspecting for a while is the path we are on from the data but without the scientific background to know it is credible which she has and that makes her view on this very significant.

As one of those who created the AZ vaccine she should know and has no reason to say this if not. But she says Covid is not going to mutate into a more deadly form and instead will go the other way and in effect become like a version of the cold that will be no more than a minor irritance to most people. The common cold is itself a kind of coronavirus so it makes sense. Possibly long ago it created a pandemic and huimans learned to live with it.

That seems the most likely way this pandemic will end. Indeed it seems well on the way to that at the moment, The end point will not come with a bang or the Doom Variant but a slow fizzle like a damp firework that you expect to go boom spectacularly but instead just sparks a bit and then goes out.

Evolution probably decrees this as there is no advantage at all to the virus to wipe out its hosts. That is just an unfortunate side effect, It thrives if we survive and it can keep on infecting us causing inconvenience not extinction.

Last edited:
COVID could resemble the common by next spring - expert

The country is "over the worst" and COVID could resemble the common cold by spring next year, a leading expert claims.

Professor Sir John Bell, regius professor of medicine at Oxford University, said this is down to people's immunity to the virus being boosted by jabs and exposure.

He believes things "should be fine" once winter has passed, adding there was continued exposure to the virus even in people who are vaccinated.

Sir John told Times Radio: "If you look at the trajectory we're on, we're a lot better off than we were six months ago.

"So the pressure on the NHS is largely abated. If you look at the deaths from COVID, they tend to be very elderly people, and it's not entirely clear it was COVID that caused all those deaths.

"So I think we're over the worst of it now."

He said his view is COVID will be similar to coronaviruses which cause the common cold "by next spring".

It's "pretty important that we don't panic about where we are now", he said, as severe infections and deaths from COVID remain "very low".

Two experts on the same track for the price of one. Looks promising. Be interested to see what Roubaix thinks on this later.

Good news what Dame Sarah Gilbert says, which I have been suspecting for a while is the path we are on from the data but without the scientific background to know it is credible which she has and that makes her view on this very significant.

As one of those who created the AZ vaccine she should know and has no reason to say this if not. But she says Covid is not going to mutate into a more deadly form and instead will go the other way and in effect become like a version of the cold that will be no more than a minor irritance to most people. The common cold is itself a kind of coronavirus so it makes sense. Possibly long ago it created a pandemic and huimans learned to live with it.

That seems the most likely way this pandemic will end. Indeed it seems well on the way to that at the moment, The end point will not come with a bang or the Doom Variant but a slow fizzle like a damp firework that you expect to go boom spectacularly but instead just sparks a bit and then goes out.

Evolution probably decrees this as there is no advantage at all to the virus to wipe out its hosts. That is just an unfortunate side effect, It thrives if we survive and it can keep on infecting us causing inconvenience not extinction.
Absolutely.
We all want those clean cut off points (like a genuine 'freedom day' akin to street parties after the war etc) but life doesn't work like Hollywood.
This is why some films get slated for having an ambiguous, 'slow fizzle' (to quote you) ending.

On that note, I've picked up my first cold of the year from my daughter (she did get a PCR test done but was negative).
I've just done a lateral flow test and it's negative.
Definitely feels like an old school cold rather than Covid (aware the symptoms can differ however).

Hope your mum and little un feel better.

I experienced the same with the receptionist at our doctors surgery. Without going into too much detail, I was in a lot of pain. So much so, my heart rate was raised for two days even though I was taking cocodamol. She basically fobbed me off after asking me a couple of questions. I rang 111. The nurse with 111, then called my doctors surgery and told them to make an appointment for me. Same happened when I lost around 20lbs of weight. This was all pre-pandemic. They no longer answer the phone or respond to emails. If anything happens to my family or me, we will simply have to go to A&E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.