Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, how do you drink a beer through a mask?
You don't. But you can wear a mask when inside, sit at a table with your group whilst you have a drink and put the mask back on when moving around. That's all people are asking. Obviously not the government because they don't appear to understand the basics of respiratory transmission, which is the major problem here IMO.

One thing I don't understand is why we don't have a modified booster yet? The boosters being given are just a repeat of the vaccines given earlier in the year but they have always been less effective vs Delta.

This is especially true for the AZ vaccine which contains an Adenovirus and people not only gain antibodies against COVID but they gain antibodies vs the Adenovirus itself and so efficacy drops further.

Given the prevalence of the use of the AZ vaccine here, is this possibly why our cases are higher than anywhere else? It may also explain the ping pong of cases going on in Europe, for example Greece and Germany are seeing new case booms.

Unless the plan has changed since they announced it is it not true that they are NOT using AZ for the booster just Pfeizer or a similar one of that type?

So they obviously have seen this issue and are hoping to fix it by giving a different type as the booster.

The drop off does indeed seem faster for AZ - that is why it matters that six months to dose 3 means six months NOT 8 or 9 as right now it does for some vulnerable people. Especially as the one I know at over 8 months and counting had AZ like many of the vulnerable did.

But as I have posted before she is still waiting - despite a call to her GP again yesterday in which they agreed to come to her house and give her the flu jab but not the booster as it was 'not practical to do two at once. Which as far as I have heard they are doing often elsewhere.

She thinks they meant too risky given her conditions based on what they said. Which - if true - makes it even more ridiculous that they are delaying her booster so long.

You don't. But you can wear a mask when inside, sit at a table with your group whilst you have a drink and put the mask back on when moving around. That's all people are asking. Obviously not the government because they don't appear to understand the basics of respiratory transmission, which is the major problem here IMO.
If you think that is going to make a material difference I am keen to see the analysis.

Reactions: ell
WALES DATA

STILL GOING UP AND AWAY DESPITE STRICTER RULES THERE. DEATHS UP A LOT AGAIN TOO

13 deaths - was 4 deaths

3450 cases - was 2266 last week

16.7% positivity - was 12.4% last week

588 patients - was 575 yesterday & 515 last week

52 Ventilated - was 51 yesterday & 47 last week

NOTHING GOOD IN THESE NUMBERS SADLY

We have to try to nip this in the bud to some extent, because there's every chance that the number of cases will increase for the next few months. This will lead to more people in hospital and sadly, more deaths.

Without wanting to sound heartless, the number of people in hospital is looking like it will be the major problem. We can't have another winter where Covid patients take up thousands and thousands of beds. We're going to big hitting over 1,000 a day going to hospital with Covid. Anyone who's tried to get Doctors appointments or even go to a walk in etc knows that the NHS is already struggling and we're just about to go into winter. Without action soon, we're going to end up in real trouble.

Also, I agree we shouldn't have another lockdown either unless it's absolutely necessary. If we carry on as we are, we'll end up with the NHS straining to the point that the lockdown could become inevitable. We have to avoid this.

I think everyone in the UK would completely understand if the Govt said that due to rising cases, we want to reduce the problems in a few months. Wearing masks, washing hands, working from home where possible would make a sizeable dent in the figures. They also don't "cost" a lot to do either.

I was on the bus yesterday going to/from Manchester and I would say about 10% of people had masks on and most windows were shut. When I go into supermarkets, barely anyone wears masks. In local shops, no one wears masks. It's got to the point where I even question wearing one myself.

Also, we should now be flying through a 3rd vaccine for whoever can have one.

What is likely to happen is that nothing is done. When we're in real, real trouble there will be some things announced but it will be too little too late. I've got elderly parents and I am dreading this winter.

WALES DATA

STILL GOING UP AND AWAY DESPITE STRICTER RULES THERE. DEATHS UP A LOT AGAIN TOO

13 deaths - was 4 deaths

3450 cases - was 2266 last week

16.7% positivity - was 12.4% last week

588 patients - was 575 yesterday & 515 last week

52 Ventilated - was 51 yesterday & 47 last week

NOTHING GOOD IN THESE NUMBERS SADLY

feels like we need to change the way we live a little for the long term

ENGLAND HOSPITAL DEATHS

NO GOOD NEWS HERE EITHER - DEATHS STILL RISING. WORST NUMBERS IN NORTH WEST AGAIN TOO

89 deaths - with 20 from North West - big percentage here again as a few times recently. Legacy of those rising ventilator numbers in hospital we were seeing over last week. Though these have started to fall in past 24/48 hours.

WAS 77 with 18 NW last week & 64 with 9 NW week before

CLEAR UPWARD TRACK NOW.

Indeed there is now no question of a big week to week rise in the past 7 day total.

Previous weeks recall were falling:- Five Day totals 577 - 526 - 508 - 398 - 380

All looking rosy and though the fall had significantly reduced last week it still fell.

With one day to go now the current total is:- Day by Day

54 - 65 - 59 - 59 - 67 - 69 - Already for just six days a total of 373

The final dayin the week (16 OCT) is already at 68 with another day of reporting so looks all but certain to continue the upward trend into the 70s and give a weekly total probably around 450.

The legacy of weeks of high case numbers is starting to appear. Unless and until cases go down again this will carry on rising into Winter.

THAT is the problem.

Government appear to be taking a wait and see if it fizzles out - possibly gambling on the slow booster roll out and the every kid will have had it soon philosophy to plod on. But the risk of mix into the rest of the family and the already clear signs of this and waning immunity in the first vaccinated IS going to increase cases and deaths because more oder people are catching it.

THIS IS A CRUCIAL MOMENT.

WHAT WE DO NEED URGENTLY IS A GOVERNMENT BRIEFING ON COVID ASAP IF ONLY TO SHOW US THEY HAVE NOT TRIED TO MAKE US THINK COVID HAS GONE AWAY. BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO BEHAVE AS IF IT HAS AND THE GOVERNMENT'S JOB IS TO MAKE SURE THEY KNOW THE TRUTH

Last edited:
If you think that is going to make a material difference I am keen to see the analysis.
I haven't got any analysis but you don't have to be a scientist to understand that wearing a mask can prevent, or at the very least substantially reduce, airborne transmission. Why do you think doctors and dentists have worn them for
years?

As others have said, it's no big deal, is it? Whats the harm in doing your bit to give everybody a chance to live more normally. Locking down affects so many businesses that it would be a disaster for them and the economy in general. Yet wearing a mask is such a small price to pay to live normally.

The scientists agree that the masks work and there is evidence from other countries who have more sensible policies that the case numbers are lower.

I've yet to see any evidence that says wearing a mask is a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.