Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you paid for a two-day PCR test after coming back from holiday and she didn't even need to have one?

Get the money back from her mate!
That was the advice at the time but apparently having had Covid less than 90 before we should have just done a lateral flow. Will deduct it from her wages and blame you if she argues

Excellent news.

So, as I read that twitter thread, this shows that deaths are 3x lower per hospitalisation, not accounting for previous immunity differences?

But it doesn't say anything about hospitalisation rates.

The other recently published data, was hospitalisation 29% lower than previous wave, again not accounting for immunity differences.

So that's a best case of (1/3)x(1-0.29)=24% of the deaths in previous waves due to lower virulence.

That's good, but a best case, and we're gong to easily get 4x the cases we had under delta.

And if you use comparison to alpha, when we had lower immunity, we'd get the same death rate as last Jan.

And regardless of deaths, if that 29% reduction in hospitalisation comes through, it's very bad news, because cases are going to be factors higher.

So for me, it's very hard to know what this means for the UK. I honestly don't know if it's good or bad news. I think good, but because Balloux likes it and is no fool rather than because I understand the implications.

Anyone got a link to the actual study, or other reputable commentary on it?

I have had a quiet thought lingering in my mind that Omicron may be a blessing in disguise and that it’s the first sign of the virus weakening itself to survive, as happened in previous pandemics that faded away.

Someone else pointed out yesterday that by mid 1920, Spanish Flu had mutated to a level that was indistinguishable from normal flu.

I am not suggesting, as I’m nowhere near enough qualified to, that this is the case here but maybe it’s a sign of things to come?

Murdoch already posted about it earlier.

Seems like there’s still not enough data to be able to hang your hat on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.