Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread - PL to restart June 17th

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by berryblue, 9 Mar 2020.

1. ZanteWeatherman

ZanteWeatherman

Team supported:
    Manchester City
    We're on lockdown over here. ID required if you leave the house for shopping provided that you have gained permission. Driver and one passenger maximum. 150 euro fines if you're out of the house without previous authority approval, strange times mean extreme measures. Not missing football at all yet and have stopped reading the back pages.......

2. cibaman

cibaman

Apparently after the recent Valencia v Atalanta game which was played behind closed doors, one third of the Valencia players and staff involved tested positive.

There is zero chance that football will resume behind closed doors in the foreseeable future.

3. moomba

moomba

I don't mind that. Give them the title. Bigger issues are at the other end of the table.

But this obsession with finishing the season regardless of the current situation is stupid.

TheCentralScrutinizer and mat like this.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. Eds

Eds

I read that was more to do with the first leg being played in Italy

5. squirtyflower

squirtyflower

Two weeks ago mate

tonea2003 likes this.
  6. cibaman

cibaman

November?

If football doesn’t resume until Jan/Feb 2021 then finishing off this season might be the least worse option. The alternatives would be:

1 Play a severely shortened season, possibly without even the option of every team playing each other once. It would be completely meaningless, winning the league would mean nothing.

2 Play a full season starting in Jan/feb. Not going to happen. The season would have to end in May for the Euros. At some point football would have to return to its normal calendar

3 Delay starting the PL season until after the Euros. Not going to happen. The clubs, telly companies and fans will demand that, once it’s safe to play, competitive football resumes ASAP

4 Finish off the 19/20 season. Some problems with players out of contract but not insurmountable. Would need a pre season first so a decision would have to be made 1-2 months ahead eg By mid November

5. ?

7. waspish

waspish

They could do premier in 2 parts say play for 4 months end for 2 month play another 4 months end for 2 months.

8. Lovebitesandeveryfing

Lovebitesandeveryfing

Top post, @fulabeer. Says it just like it is. People who are neutrals, especially from other countries, just don't get why the hatred for Liverpool and their fans is more or less universal within England itself. They should try crossing Stanley Park on match day, wearing their colours as opposition fans some time. I agree, by the way. Give it to them. I couldn't give a toss. (Although technically, you cannot ‘give’ a club a title without the competition to which that title pertains being complete. It is a nonsense. And completing the competition in any foreseeable future actually involves putting people's lives at risk. But that's just a detail, isn't it?)

racecar likes this.
  9. Lovebitesandeveryfing

Lovebitesandeveryfing

On another note.I know this isn't the thread, but I cannot fathom why the U.K. hung around before going into lockdown, enforced by law. You see an express train looming up on the horizon, you get off the tracks. The U.K. had an opportunity to get ahead of the game.

55yr old teenager likes this.
  10. blue b4 the moon

blue b4 the moon

When that twat is the voice of reason in the media you know it's a mess.

waspish likes this.