Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

It was bizarre listening to Silly Sally this morning especially in a programme that had a lot of rightful criticism of the public gatherings (typical Brits when the sun comes out) and then onto the nonsense about football
Things changed so much over the weekend and it's only going to get worse as time
passes by.
I don't know if l will see family members again. I have to walk my dog under cover of darkness. I have to collect food to last me a couple of weeks next Monday but l am not sure l will get it given what is going on.
And some silly twats in the media want to organise a glorified circus for their darlings. The world is going mad - sadly more so in this country than most.
We're on lockdown over here. ID required if you leave the house for shopping provided that you have gained permission. Driver and one passenger maximum. 150 euro fines if you're out of the house without previous authority approval, strange times mean extreme measures. Not missing football at all yet and have stopped reading the back pages.......

It all depends on how long lockdown lasts. Games will only take place after this behind closed doors to start with.
If there is time to finish this year’s league calendar of 9 games without compromising next season’s league then they will get it done.
There is no way they will risk losing the revenue from a full season just to finish the previous one.
There’s also the small consideration of playing the Euros and European cups.
If lockdown continues beyond June I think it will be v difficult to finish this season.
Apparently after the recent Valencia v Atalanta game which was played behind closed doors, one third of the Valencia players and staff involved tested positive.

There is zero chance that football will resume behind closed doors in the foreseeable future.

It goes against government guidelines on mass gatherings and that’s just including the squads and playing staff.

Sadly the way the PL and Sky work I bet the vote will be cancel the season but acknowledge the scousers are champions.

I don't mind that. Give them the title. Bigger issues are at the other end of the table.

But this obsession with finishing the season regardless of the current situation is stupid.

Apparently after the recent Valencia v Atalanta game which was played behind closed doors, one third of the Valencia players and staff involved tested positive.

There is zero chance that football will resume behind closed doors in the foreseeable future.
I read that was more to do with the first leg being played in Italy

how long do we go before voiding the leagues is the only sensible option

the longer we go and having a shortened new season has a massive financial impact on all lower league clubs and maybe some prem teams
November?

If football doesn’t resume until Jan/Feb 2021 then finishing off this season might be the least worse option. The alternatives would be:

1 Play a severely shortened season, possibly without even the option of every team playing each other once. It would be completely meaningless, winning the league would mean nothing.

2 Play a full season starting in Jan/feb. Not going to happen. The season would have to end in May for the Euros. At some point football would have to return to its normal calendar

3 Delay starting the PL season until after the Euros. Not going to happen. The clubs, telly companies and fans will demand that, once it’s safe to play, competitive football resumes ASAP

4 Finish off the 19/20 season. Some problems with players out of contract but not insurmountable. Would need a pre season first so a decision would have to be made 1-2 months ahead eg By mid November

5. ?

I think people would be more sympathetic to Liverpool if it wasn't for the fans cultish, arrogant, mentally disturbing behavior.
The continued "It's our year" (every year). Self proclaimed "European Royalty". "It means more". TV coverage of their matches always showing the entire YNWA tune (why not other clubs anthems?)
Any other clubs fans cause mayhem and they are thugs/louts. Dippers do anything they want and it's "Passion".
The constant early celebrations every christmas when they think they have already won it. And the opened topped bus is already booked and scarves printed.
Yet they never learn that nothing is over until it's over. I don't think it helped when even the commentators kept referring to them as the champions. (forgetting to add on "elect")

It doesn't really matter now if they continue the season (and they officially win it). Or just award it too them. Or void the season. Any joy is gone. Any celebration would be deemed inappropriate.
I would normally say the phrase ""you couldn't make it up, and then laugh at them. But i'm not laughing at them. I just think any decision is just putting an end to a grizzly episode.

Top post, @fulabeer. Says it just like it is. People who are neutrals, especially from other countries, just don't get why the hatred for Liverpool and their fans is more or less universal within England itself. They should try crossing Stanley Park on match day, wearing their colours as opposition fans some time. I agree, by the way. Give it to them. I couldn't give a toss. (Although technically, you cannot ‘give’ a club a title without the competition to which that title pertains being complete. It is a nonsense. And completing the competition in any foreseeable future actually involves putting people's lives at risk. But that's just a detail, isn't it?)

First time I’ve heard someone actually say it as it is last nigh Goldstein on talksport saying he can’t see any sport until there is a vaccine! For me that is the reality why aren’t we reading hearing more of this? Is it we don’t want to panic the public even more!?
When that twat is the voice of reason in the media you know it's a mess.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.