Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

We're on lockdown over here. ID required if you leave the house for shopping provided that you have gained permission. Driver and one passenger maximum. 150 euro fines if you're out of the house without previous authority approval, strange times mean extreme measures. Not missing football at all yet and have stopped reading the back pages.......
Hard to imagine them having stringent rules there let alone people obeying them.
Watched the last cup final there as only Blues in the bar in Alykanas. Loved it.
Doubt l will ever see the lonian again but UTube brings back many happy memories.

Top post, @fulabeer. Says it just like it is. People who are neutrals, especially from other countries, just don't get why the hatred for Liverpool and their fans is more or less universal within England itself. They should try crossing Stanley Park on match day, wearing their colours as opposition fans some time. I agree, by the way. Give it to them. I couldn't give a toss. (Although technically, you cannot ‘give’ a club a title without the competition to which that title pertains being complete. It is a nonsense. And completing the competition in any foreseeable future actually involves putting people's lives at risk. But that's just a detail, isn't it?)
Walking back to Lime Street some years ago l witnessed the only street robbery. There was a young lad who had a device to his ear an2f he was helpfully telling people the scores on other matches.
You could see a group of slightly younger lads with their eyes on him like wild animals ready for the kill. You could tell this lad had menyal and physical probs and so they went for him grabbing at his arm. The missus and l went straight to help but other 'scouts' shouted a warning all they all ran off. We asked the lad if he was ok and said at least they didnt get his device but he tearfully told tgey did manage to get his watch.
He and the twats were all Liverpool fans and lots of Liverpool fans just looked on without any interest. Callous scummy bastards. I had never believed the 'lovable cheeky scouser' myth before then and certainly not since.

The possibility of football matches taking place inside empty stadiums in England during the coronavirus pandemic appears to be gathering momentum, with the PFA revealing most of its members accept there is now “no alternative

PFA deputy chief executive, Bobby Barnes: - Reluctance of players to compete behind closed doors has shifted - Football has a responsibility to try and lift the nation at a time of global crisis - Negotiations will be held over player salary deferrals

Bobby Barnes: - The PFA’s £55 million cash reserves will be made available for members who are experiencing hardship - A 24-hour wellbeing hotline is among the other provisions to help to support players in need

@David_Ornstein
This story reeks of fake news. I don't believe for one second that players want to resume playing behind closed doors while people are dying. FFS they are normal human beings with their own families. The players would destroy their own reputations for the rest of their careers if they took part in sport while the virus is still active. This is a leaked story from the money men to try and test public opinion. Their greed has no limits.

Last edited:
Walking back to Lime Street some years ago l witnessed the only street robbery. There was a young lad who had a device to his ear an2f he was helpfully telling people the scores on other matches.
You could see a group of slightly younger lads with their eyes on him like wild animals ready for the kill. You could tell this lad had menyal and physical probs and so they went for him grabbing at his arm. The missus and l went straight to help but other 'scouts' shouted a warning all they all ran off. We asked the lad if he was ok and said at least they didnt get his device but he tearfully told tgey did manage to get his watch.
He and the twats were all Liverpool fans and lots of Liverpool fans just looked on without any interest. Callous scummy bastards. I had never believed the 'lovable cheeky scouser' myth before then and certainly not since.
You only had to see the scum in Madrid last year for the CL final. Guy in late 40/50s saying he had no ticket but would snatch one from another Liverpool fan as he got it out to enter the stadium. They haven't changed over the years!

November?

If football doesn’t resume until Jan/Feb 2021 then finishing off this season might be the least worse option. The alternatives would be:

1 Play a severely shortened season, possibly without even the option of every team playing each other once. It would be completely meaningless, winning the league would mean nothing.

2 Play a full season starting in Jan/feb. Not going to happen. The season would have to end in May for the Euros. At some point football would have to return to its normal calendar

3 Delay starting the PL season until after the Euros. Not going to happen. The clubs, telly companies and fans will demand that, once it’s safe to play, competitive football resumes ASAP

4 Finish off the 19/20 season. Some problems with players out of contract but not insurmountable. Would need a pre season first so a decision would have to be made 1-2 months ahead eg By mid November

5. ?
I think there is a lot sense in suggestion 4 and I think starting Jan/Feb 2021 is a more realistic timescale than some of the nonsense being spouted by the self-interest brigade. Finishing off the 19/20 season including the Cups from Jan to May may be the only choice we have. The greedy clubs owners and broadcasters will just have to take a financial hit like everyone else. The players should all take a 50 per cent salary cut with the money raised going to help victims of the virus. The same should apply to broadcast revcenues. Of course there is no guarantee that even Jan next year is viable because until we get a vaccine it's hard to predict the future. However at least it is a potential date to work towards.

You only had to see the scum in Madrid last year for the CL final. Guy in late 40/50s saying he had no ticket but would snatch one from another Liverpool fan as he got it out to enter the stadium. They haven't changed over the years!
No regard for the person who was expecting to see his team in a final and had shelled ot for ticket travel and possibly hotels.
On a brighter note l have just had a young lady ring out of the blue from the club to check l was ok and had a little chat which cheered me up no end.
I dont anticipate Silly Sally or any other part of the media giving the club any credit for this sort of interest in the fans

So the Olympics are cancelled until next year but we reckon we can finish the football season at some stage. I know the games are far bigger and a logistical nightmare but there is more money involved with the games. Surely the time has come to put the dippers out of their misery and tell them their wait continues.

I wonder how long it will be before the FA and the Pl fall out with each other. Lower leagues will not entertain playing behind closed doors, they need the match day income.

However the PL will be more than happy to play behind closed doors and take the TV money as will UEFA and their "glamour" cups.

So the Olympics are cancelled until next year but we reckon we can finish the football season at some stage. I know the games are far bigger and a logistical nightmare but there is more money involved with the games. Surely the time has come to put the dippers out of their misery and tell them their wait continues.

The season isn’t finishing. Anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that... so leave the scousers in ignorance for a few more months. Reality will set in at some point and even they they’ll probably declare themselves Champions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.