Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

It’s not weird because sport is meaningless. It was a 15 minute announcement, I wouldn’t think sport would get a mention if it was a three hour announcement.

In the grand scheme of things, sport is just entertainment. There would be hundreds of things more important to talk about before sport gets a mention.

Yep I see that! it’s our national sport Surly it should get a mention even if he says any team contact sport shouldn’t be considered for at least 6 weeks and we will assess it then. Now we will have the same media with same narrative for weeks.

#PremierLeague players will this week be told returning to training and games will be 'safer than going to the supermarket'. That is to reassure players in talks about Project Restart amid fears about their health and safety in the coronavirus pandemic. [
@MirrorFootball

Treat them like they are stupid ,is going shopping a contact sport now

#PremierLeague players believe clubs are engaging in unethical practices to influence them ahead of next week's crucial Project Restart vote. Players have been left with the impression they could benefit from new contracts if they act in clubs' interests now. [
@MailSport

Club have lent on senior professionals, using their dressing-room clout to influence teammates, whether in talks on wage reductions or with regards to players' concerns over Project Restart. [
@MailSport

Boris Johnson and his Government believe it is ‘unlikely’ to be safe to stage events with crowds until a Covid-19 cure is found. They will not even consider it until September at the earliest - and that could be extended even further until a vaccine is discovered. [
@SunSport

Match of the Day is starting to plan for a resumption of the Premier League on June 12. [
@TeleFootball

Match of the Day has been advised to prepare for almost two months of uninterrupted games, including rearranged FA Cup games. The plan is for an initial three-day weekend of matches, from Friday to Sunday, with between two and four midweek rounds. [
@TeleFootball

Now you may not agree with the government announcement tonight but either Boris Johnson's government has gone out on a limb (unlikely) or SAGE deems primary school and many workplaces a safe environment. In that context, football may not have your interest at the moment but ethical opposition looks difficult to substantiate.

In practise the tests will tell us. If footballers are getting ill every week then it's clearly not practical or safe, but if they stay largely healthy I do not see how the objections expressed to date stand up.

Now you may not agree with the government announcement tonight but either Boris Johnson's government has gone out on a limb (unlikely) or SAGE deems primary school and many workplaces a safe environment. In that context, football may not have your interest at the moment but ethical opposition looks difficult to substantiate.

In practise the tests will tell us. If footballers are getting ill every week then it's clearly not practical or safe, but if they stay largely healthy I do not see how the objections expressed to date stand up.
CONTACT SPORT

CANNOT SOCIAL DISTANCE

Hope that covers it

Be lucky to see next season underway rather than finish this one. I have convinced myself no footie until at least August/Sept next year.
Boris J referred to a partial opening of the hospitality sector this Summer. Now he may not be many peoples guru but he's just expressing scientific opinion. If the hospitality sector is deemed as being on schedule for this Summer, then football certainly is although fans will probably have to wait longer

It’s not weird because sport is meaningless. It was a 15 minute announcement, I wouldn’t think sport would get a mention if it was a three hour announcement.

In the grand scheme of things, sport is just entertainment. There would be hundreds of things more important to talk about before sport gets a mention.
Disagree. Sport isn’t meaningless, it brings a lot of enjoyment to a lot of people’s lives. Of course death is awful but there’s more to life than mere survival, you live for those times when you’re happy and enjoying yourself. Having some access to or hope of soon accessing sports and leisure pursuits is a big deal for a lot of people. If someone told me I could never hit another tennis ball or hit the pads or go for a run or watch a footy match my life would be immeasurably worse.

Boris J referred to a partial opening of the hospitality sector this Summer. Now he may not be many peoples guru but he's just expressing scientific opinion. If the hospitality sector is deemed as being on schedule for this Summer, then football certainly is although fans will probably have to wait longer

Yeah July if the metrics support it. Cricket is coming back in July if allowed BCD. Horse Racing coming back in 5 weeks BCD. Football has 2 weeks to decide on its conditional plan.

Brilliant. Where most read the current situation as no return for football, you find a needle.

I have no issues with these thoughts, I have them myself as I try to work out how football could restart in the current climate, but to actively promote the return at this time, after tonight’s message, strikes that you have a financial investment in your thoughts.

Each to their own.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.