Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Like many, I suspect, I really struggle with this whole question. First things first, above all else, my position is that given the suffering of so many at this time and all the risks to so many, the 2019/20 season should be declared finished. The decision then is whether to null and void it or do an average points per game to sort out a table. The FA have said that null and void is not an option as far as I understand? So Sergio gets to keep the records he has broken this season and the Dippers get the title of course.

But, as immoral as we might think it, football is a business and must seek ways to survive - like any other business you can care to mention. And thus, if enough people are happy to watch on TV around the world why would they not take that option? Every other facet of human life will involve risk as we come out of lockdown, from opening schools to opening shops, pubs, cafes, restaurants etc. Risks to staff and to customers. So of course football is going to try to survive by playing behind closed doors, at a managed risk to everyone.

And, as we all know, the fittest (I.e. Premier League clubs) will have a product to sell and will probably survive whilst the lower league clubs will fall in droves. The Huddersfield Chairman has said as many as 60 clubs could fold. An exaggeration maybe, but who knows? He may be bang on. It mirrors the natural world where the fittest survive.

I still love City as the club I have followed man and boy since 1970, and am full of wine-fuelled bitterness about the current state of the game and remorse at the passing of Glynn Pardoe. But I am no longer wedded to the club having given up my season ticket at the end of last season to purchase one at my exiled town club, Stourbridge FC (7th tier or 3rd tier non league whose season was declared null and void by the FA weeks ago).

Is it greed to play on behind closed doors for TV and armchair fans? Or is it the way every business should, and will, instinctively respond? And there are jobs and family livelihoods at stake. Not everyone who works for a Premier Club will be on a Premier wage. It's no different to any other business. And clubs like my Stourbridge FC will have to take its chances.

Sad as it is to write it down in such terms.

My point is about who is moaning. You mention City - have you heard one fan, player or Mayor moaning about us going to Madrid/Wembley ? I certainly haven't.
Yes Wolves were away but they did not want to play a match where the Chairman of the opposing team had gone down with Covid so they highlighted the fact but have not troubled any media outlets since with their constant moaning.
The original thread I responded to was blaming Boris Johnson. My point was why would he call it off when Liverpool were happy/desperate to play the match. If they had asked/pleaded for the game to be called off I could sympathise with them but the fact is they didn't.

Fair enough mate, scousers and moaning go together like jam and bread, you won't get an argument from me about that.

Enjoy the rest of the evening.

Indeed,plenty including me were shouting about mass gatherings at the timei guess herd immunity was more important...

So why did you go to Wembley ?
@mosssideblue Did you go to Wembley ? Would you have gone to Madrid and Arsenal at home ?

At the time no one thought it was going to be like this. I was in the pub when Boris closed them, everyone laughed, no one realised 36,000 people would die. I could argue all night that Boris timed lock down brilliantly but that is for the politics thread. This is about scousers who now have something to rally round.

The #PremierLeague could return with five matches shown live back-to-back every Saturday + Sunday with kick-offs at noon, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm and 8pm. Broadcasters are pushing to show games midweek in a #UCL style double-header, with games kicking off at 6pm + 8pm. [
@MirrorFootball

So why did you go to Wembley ?
@mosssideblue Did you go to Wembley ? Would you have gone to Madrid and Arsenal at home ?

At the time no one thought it was going to be like this. I was in the pub when Boris closed them, everyone laughed, no one realised 36,000 people would die. I could argue all night that Boris timed lock down brilliantly but that is for the politics thread. This is about scousers who now have something to rally round.
I went because it didn't appear risky at the time,the first death here was on the fifth of march,i am not a CMO or the gov who knew the facts,they wanted herd immunity,they went against the real experts in infectious diseases and a different path to everyone else,they made that decision misty,football shutting itself down was right but the gov wanted mass gatherings to continue and they let the AM fans in,in a pandemic you follow gov advice,they said keep going,they were completely wrong and I am glad football stopping forced them into a slightly and very late different path

So the crux of the matter isn't actually anything to do with safety more that you don't want Liverpool to win the league/beat our tally/play their kids/basically do anything? That is a more reasonable debate than those saying it's unsafe at least your honest!

If you want honesty pal , the only reason i want a return is because we have a great chance of another treble , fuck the Dippers , i am concerned about my football club.

Clearly the people in the know agree with these dickheads hey?

Normal influenza claims 17,000 lives per year in the UK , that is the average number over the last ten years as the figures provided by Public Health England , break that figure down to 50 deaths per day as an average over a decade.
So your predicition that COVID-19 , a far stronger and more deadly virus will vastly reduce or virtually disappear in a couple of months is frankly ridiculous , but that is a common trait to your posts , no facts and no substance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.