Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Even if this season is completed and Livarpool win it, they can never really hold the record for most points/wins etc given that they would be the only team who would've 'benefitted' from a 2 month hiatus from football so woukdnt be comparable, add in to the fact no home/away fans for remaining third of the season.

....and highly doubt football will even resume without being shot down by fans/government whilst people are still dying from this infection.

And lastly, the whole isolated training camp is absolute bollocks - the coronavirus tests only pick up 70% of cases apparently, so even if players are positive, might appear negative and spread it as asymptomatic spreaders so can't even risk that let's be honest.

I do wonder how much truth there is in the quest for the authorities to restart football and how much it is the football media having no other stories. Football in a business sense is absolute small fry, the best and biggest clubs in the world having £500m turnovers, which is peanuts in the business world. All we hear and read is that X club is going to lose £50m and the Premier League will have to pay back X millions to broadcasters...again absolute peanuts in the business world. There are multi-national corporations out there, losing hundreds of millions on a daily/weekly basis through this crisis. Many of which employ Joe Public and are the lifeblood of worldwide economies. I am unsure how football can expect special/preferential treatment to start up again over these companies, so that the likes of Jesse Lingard can try to kick a ball of air around for £100k p/w.

For a variety of important and fairly obvious reasons, sporting events, large gatherings, pubs etc will be very low down/bottom of the list of things to re-open. The sooner football and football writers acknowledge this or at least stop pretending the better

It is as inevitable as it is unfortunate that clubs and suppliers will go bust but that is the reality in which we find ourselves

My own prediction is that some restrictions will be lifted around June but then the virus will be back in September and restrictions will be reintroduced then unless by some miracle we have a vaccine or the infrastructure for mass testing and spare capacity within the health and emergency services to provide ambulances, paramedics, support staff and police etc

What is the actual point of sport? In my view it is about fair competition not just ‘finishing’ seasons for finishing sake.

Ogden wrote about the season restarting on 6th June. That is for the birds

Playing without fans brings the integrity of the competition into question. I would maybe understand if there was one game left to finish it off, ok play it but we’re speaking about playing 9 match days without fans.

it’s completely ridiculous. Not only the fact that playing away without fans is an unfair advantage as everyone stated.

playing without fans means zero pressure. It’s just a glorified training match. You’ll see things you’ll never see in normal games. Igahlo the rag scored a wonder goal in the Europa league match without fans that he would never even think about trying with fans. penalties? Taking one in training or taking one with 60,000 fans screaming at you is something totally different.

I would not watch any such matches, they are extreme boring, when this started I saw a bit of Milan- Torino without fans, it was boring, it’s just not the same game.

Just do the right thing and void the season. Hopefully things will settle down by August and we’ll start again.

I don't think we can blame the football world for trying to find ways to get this season finished, they HAVE to. If they are seen as just sitting back and not even exploring every possible avenue, as ridiculous as some of the suggestions have been, then it won't look good on the other side and they'll just end up getting sued. IMHO if they show they have gone through every possible option and then it's just not possible to do it in a safe way, there is no court of law that would uphold a lawsuit given the circumstances the world is in.

I don't think we can blame the football world for trying to find ways to get this season finished, they HAVE to. If they are seen as just sitting back and not even exploring every possible avenue, as ridiculous as some of the suggestions have been, then it won't look good on the other side and they'll just end up getting sued. IMHO if they show they have gone through every possible option and then it's just not possible to do it in a safe way, there is no court of law that would uphold a lawsuit given the circumstances the world is in.

I accept that to a degree. What really annoys me is article after article and podcast after podcast reporting them as though they are realistic and workable without asking the most basic and obvious questions

I accept that to a degree. What really annoys me is article after article and podcast after podcast reporting them as though they are realistic and workable without asking the most basic and obvious questions
Yeah that's the media though isn't it, they do that for everything, not just this. It will be even more so now that they have fuck all else to do and are begging us to buy their shit newspapers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.