Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Brodcasting revenues underwrite the financial viability of every football club.
I completely understand that. But, as someone has commented below, how many people are going to be interested in watching Brighton v Aston Villa playing in a neutral stadium with no crowd and no atmosphere.

No viewers means no advertising revenue. What’s the point ?

What would lift the spirits of most football supporters is for the authorities to convince us that they have a coherent plan for running football next season.

Abandon this season and plan from August so, for example, if games must be played in empty stadia then the corresponding home and away fixtures are played under the same conditions. If crowds aren't allowed for the first half of the season, then the second half will also be behind closed doors to protect the integrity of the competition.

As it stands, they are putting so much effort into completing this season they are going to fuck it up for the foreseeable future.
I like that corresponding fixtures under the same crowd conditions.

As It stands I doubt I'll be going until its really safe but, to tweak your idea on the assumption that at some stage fans will be let it Id suggest playing home & away back to back.

I'm not surprised if the majority of players don't want to return. I do hope the Premier league involve those players, ask them, see what and how they feel. Disinfecting the ball beforehand? How many times will it be disinfected? Every time a player touches it? It's not safe, not now or any time in the near future. Cancel it now, unfortunately for some clubs and supporters it may not suite but for the health and safety of those involved it's the right one.

Goater is right. Which raises another fly in the ointment. So the league somehow restarts and a large proportion of players refuse to participate. So a number of games can't take place because clubs can't field a team. Which shows how potentially shambolic this whole idea is.

Of course it wouldn't come to this. As soon as any plan to restart the game comes forward all the clubs will take soundings from their players as to whether they are willing to play and no doubt some clubs will say they can't field a team. Which presumably will put paid to the madness.

As other people have said at the end of the day it's the players who will take the decision assuming the government doesn't do so.

Yeah, it wasn’t Goater’s tweet I had an issue with. It was the crackpot conspiracy theorist I was highlighting.

I completely understand that. But, as someone has commented below, how many people are going to be interested in watching Brighton v Aston Villa playing in a neutral stadium with no crowd and no atmosphere.

If it was City vs Madrid in the final of the Champions League with no spectators, I would not watch and would not give a flying F what the result was.

My kid brother was watching the sunday supplement and said one of the reporter's said that a team owner didnt know if the had insurance for any of their players or player passing it onto a family member and than the player or family member dies. I would guess getting insurance against a pandemic in a middle of a pandemic will cost a fortune !
Why would they need it?
A footballer is no different from any other worker who contracts covid 19 in the course of their daily work.
They play, they take the risk.
Don’t see a queue of court cases building up there.

Where do you get your figures from?
I read it was only the top 6 who are arsed about finishing it.

The only thing we know is that the weekly video calls are determined to give a unified front, all clubs are saying they are committed (with lots of caveats, and the caveats are important), but clearly behind the scenes there's lot of disagreements. No one wants to be the club to sack it off, but no club wants to push for it. That's what Neville's point is - lots of anonymous briefing, very little leadership. At this point, I suspect there are as many conflicting voices in clubs as there are elsewhere, so almost impossible to say what each club wants.

Last edited:

Gambling. I suspect the betting industry is the underlying economic driver behind the push to finish the season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.