Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Surely those are just known (i.e. positively tested) infections, there will be many more that are asymptomatic and untested.
Randomised tests. They wont test the whole population. They'll do a sample and from that make a prediction. I'll go back and watch the episode on the I player again and get some more details

Edit: There's a link here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...aviruscovid19infectionsurvey/england10may2020

The link states that it's between 76,000 to 225,000 with the 136,000 as the most likely estimate.

Last edited:
''Until we know the actual number of people who have or have had the virus''
thank you
And until we know, the death rate is 1 in 7. The true position is we will never know exact numbers in either category but as a FACT using the most reliable measure , my original numbers stand

If they cannot find a vaccine, it seems some on here want football to be null and void, forever.
I am going back to work, as safely as possible, but not without risk. Those that live off the state can stay at home, until that money runs out.
At some stage we have to get the economy going again, that will mean death for some. Might be me over 60, self employed.

Some Footballers who want to ,could retire now and still be comfortable, Sterling, Silva, Mahrez etc, so they could decide to stop playing. If they are really worried, and i would have no issue with that. I wouldn't work either if i wasn't potless .
It may not be in june, but later, as soon as reasonably safe. I also think all those people who say they will never watch football again, if there are no packed stands are the guys being selfish.
Drugs will eventually mean the situation improves but the virus is not going to disappear.
Everyone , young footballers included will need to adapt. They will be more at risk at their partys and sleeping with hookers than on the playing field.

I've heard a very valid perspective that applies itself well to this topic.

For those who think it's ok for (a few or many) people to die a slow and agonising death, so that they can be entertained by a competitive endeavour. Why not campaign for the revival of Roman style arenas and feed people to tormented wild animals?

Or is it easier for you to pointedly overlook the human cost of your fun when the victims (innocent people spending weeks dying in agony with a pipe down their throat into their bleeding lungs), are hidden away in isolation wards so you don't have to look at the human cost of your pleasures?

If they cannot find a vaccine, it seems some on here want football to be null and void, forever.
I am going back to work, as safely as possible, but not without risk. Those that live off the state can stay at home, until that money runs out.
At some stage we have to get the economy going again, that will mean death for some. Might be me over 60, self employed.

I'm going to put a stop to this idea that anyone who disagrees with rushing back somehow doesn't want the economy to recover. I am opposed to it for the opposite reason: there is no way you can have 100k+ people dying in a six month period without it ruining your economy, and a second spike will be worse in the long term for the economy than spending a few more weeks in isolation making sure we have test, trace and tracking facilities in place. This positioning of economy vs health is a death cult, pure, naked ideology, and it's a binary that doesn't exist. By rushing back, we are putting both health and the economy in danger. It's not an either/or.

I've heard a very valid perspective that applies itself well to this topic.

For those who think it's ok for (a few or many) people to die a slow and agonising death, so that they can be entertained by a competitive endeavour. Why not campaign for the revival of Roman style arenas and feed people to tormented wild animals?

Or is it easier for you to pointedly overlook the human cost of your fun when the victims (innocent people spending weeks dying in agony with a pipe down their throat into their bleeding lungs), are hidden away in isolation wards so you don't have to look at the human cost of your pleasures?
Well who can argue with that !
Brilliantly put ..

I bet black players won't be happy playing, as black people seem more prone to the virus for some reason

I'm going to put a stop to this idea that anyone who disagrees with rushing back somehow doesn't want the economy to recover. I am opposed to it for the opposite reason: there is no way you can have 100k+ people dying in a six month period without it ruining your economy, and a second spike will be worse in the long term for the economy than spending a few more weeks in isolation making sure we have test, trace and tracking facilities in place. This positioning of economy vs health is a death cult, pure, naked ideology, and it's a binary that doesn't exist. By rushing back, we are putting both health and the economy in danger. It's not an either/or.

I didn't say rush back.
We always have 100 k dieing in a six month period.
10 million unemployed will lead to an immeasurable number of related deaths.
Test and track will be in place when football begins.
A second spike will not be the fault of football, it will be because people cannot control themselves.

Garden centres opened today,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.