Correcting An Obvious Mistake

trublue55

Is football the only example, where there is no attempt to correct an obvious mistake, and no course of re-dress.

I am a newsagent, and i make my living delivering newspapers, if i deliver the wrong newspaper, or miss a customer completely, i do not take the view that it is not a problem,as most of the time, most of my customers will get the right paper, and it will balance out over the year.

Equally for example "i accept you say you ordered 2 pints of lager, but i thought you said a large wine, get over it, its still an alcoholic drink, it will balance out over the night" Don't think many people would find that acceptable.

"sorry we counted the votes wrong, and announced the wrong winner" - as a result the Monster Raving Looney Party will form the next government - but it can get sorted at the next election.

"sorry our referee f*cked up (again), but we can't do anything about it, you can always beat them next time you play them, and so what if the wrong team win our league / cup"

I could go on, but when oh when will football do something to correct an obvious mistake, or at least try its best to get the right decision / result as often as possible. Unless of course the powers that be are happy with "hand of god" goals deciding world cup matches. Next thing someone will suggest that FIFA are protecting vested interests, and may even be corrupt.

Sticking specifically to sport, is there another sport that is so ready to accept wrong decisions with no more than a shrug, and "it evens out over the...." ?

I

Can't wait for the video replays to come in to football.

Too many bad decisions being made.

Must be the only major sport that doesn't have this in.

Not convinced that will make much of a different to be honest.
If they're out to get us (which clearly is the case) then the ones behind the monitor will be as well.

The FA would like to announce the introduction of video replays, and the appointment of Mr Howard Webb to oversee the recruitment and training of video officials.

After seeing him argue the un-arguable with the benefit of TV replays I have no faith that even that would make a difference.

And I've wanted video replays to be brought in for years.

To be honest, if Video Replays/Analysis happens, then why do we physically need an attention grabbing referee on the field anyway?

At top stadiums, all interruptions in play could be via a whistle sound over the tannoy by the referee watching TV feeds.

Even the Assistant Referees need fucking off. Not only are most utterly crap and unfit, very few get most decisions correct. The fella at Norwich was appalling and both factually incorrect in his decisions and never up with play. The other games I have already watched on MOTD from last night are equally being ruined by incompetent officials attempting do do a task that is probably beyond the capabilities of a single man and a whistle. In short they need replacing with technology.

The decision by East last night not to give a Penalty is ridiculous, however the referee at the Swansea v Sunderland game had a howler. If you haven't seen it yet then watch it; I was cringing for him!

As the OP said, we cannot continue to let sweaty out of breath middle aged men, make subjective decisions about a multi million pound activity without the possibility for immediate redress.

Roger East is a slime ball of a referee.

I can cope with slime balls. Rigger East is something else. That weasel face at the end when Yaya was seeking out an explanation as to why the most stonewall pen of the night was not given tells you everything. Bumptious, officious, smug, and ever-so wrong. Has anyone any doubt he wouldn't have given a direct free kick in the centre circle for that tackle? The application of different criteria in and beyond the penalty area is something that is outside the scope of the Laws of the Game. The man is dishonest. I have seen scores of identical 'tackles', I use the word lightly here, within the penalty area where referees have pointed immediately to the spot. No waiting for a mental re-run to accommodate this notion of 'being 100% sure' - penalty straight off. And I suspect had he been refereeing The Arse, The Dippers, or MANUre he would not have applied the fictitious idea of 100%.

I just wonder whether, IN MY LIFETIME, I am gonna see a game of football where the governing bodies make efforts to deliver a result which reflects what actually happened on the pitch! Apart from pauper sports that have little money, football, among the universal games, is unique in relying on one person in the twinkle of an eye to make a decision that so often is plainly wrong!

I can cope, along with the overwhelming majority of City fans, with losing a game where the action reflects the result, but we are getting shafted week in and week out by lily-livered, dissembling, bumbling oafs who waltz around a football pitch carrying a whistle.

I can cope with slime balls. Rigger East is something else. That weasel face at the end when Yaya was seeking out an explanation as to why the most stonewall pen of the night was not given tells you everything. Bumptious, officious, smug, and ever-so wrong. Has anyone any doubt he wouldn't have given a direct free kick in the centre circle for that tackle? The application of different criteria in and beyond the penalty area is something that is outside the scope of the Laws of the Game. The man is dishonest. I have seen scores of identical 'tackles', I use the word lightly here, within the penalty area where referees have pointed immediately to the spot. No waiting for a mental re-run to accommodate this notion of 'being 100% sure' - penalty straight off. And I suspect had he been refereeing The Arse, The Dippers, or MANUre he would not have applied the fictitious idea of 100%.

I just wonder whether, IN MY LIFETIME, I am gonna see a game of football where the governing bodies make efforts to deliver a result which reflects what actually happened on the pitch! Apart from pauper sports that have little money, football, among the universal games, is unique in relying on one person in the twinkle of an eye to make a decision that so often is plainly wrong!

I can cope, along with the overwhelming majority of City fans, with losing a game where the action reflects the result, but we are getting shafted week in and week out by lily-livered, dissembling, bumbling oafs who waltz around a football pitch carrying a whistle.
Well said, youngster.

Is football the only example, where there is no attempt to correct an obvious mistake, and no course of re-dress.

I am a newsagent, and i make my living delivering newspapers, if i deliver the wrong newspaper, or miss a customer completely, i do not take the view that it is not a problem,as most of the time, most of my customers will get the right paper, and it will balance out over the year.

Equally for example "i accept you say you ordered 2 pints of lager, but i thought you said a large wine, get over it, its still an alcoholic drink, it will balance out over the night" Don't think many people would find that acceptable.

"sorry we counted the votes wrong, and announced the wrong winner" - as a result the Monster Raving Looney Party will form the next government - but it can get sorted at the next election.

"sorry our referee f*cked up (again), but we can't do anything about it, you can always beat them next time you play them, and so what if the wrong team win our league / cup"

I could go on, but when oh when will football do something to correct an obvious mistake, or at least try its best to get the right decision / result as often as possible. Unless of course the powers that be are happy with "hand of god" goals deciding world cup matches. Next thing someone will suggest that FIFA are protecting vested interests, and may even be corrupt.

Sticking specifically to sport, is there another sport that is so ready to accept wrong decisions with no more than a shrug, and "it evens out over the...." ?

I

Something certainly needs to happen, for the good of the game.

The main problem with errors in a football match vs errors in business is that decisions affecting the outcome of a football match need to be reached within the allotted time of the match. Referring to the voting example above, discrepancies quite often arise, and recounts are requested, however it's often many hours before a recount is completed and a final decision made. This cannot work in football, as when the final whistle goes we need to know 100% that the scoreline we see in front of us is the absolute final result. I'm sure none of us would want a situation where a scoreline could be changed by so called 'independent' reviewers after a game has already finished (irrespective of the performance of the referee, linesman etc. during the game).

Something certainly needs to happen, for the good of the game.

The main problem with errors in a football match vs errors in business is that decisions affecting the outcome of a football match need to be reached within the allotted time of the match. Referring to the voting example above, discrepancies quite often arise, and recounts are requested, however it's often many hours before a recount is completed and a final decision made. This cannot work in football, as when the final whistle goes we need to know 100% that the scoreline we see in front of us is the absolute final result. I'm sure none of us would want a situation where a scoreline could be changed by so called 'independent' reviewers after a game has already finished (irrespective of the performance of the referee, linesman etc. during the game).

I fairly obviously accept, that there is a very big difference within sporting and business environments, and in sport there is a need for a very quick, if not instant decision. However when so many (specifically game changing decisions) are being regularly got wrong to the obvious point that the outcome is being affected, SOMETHING needs to be done. My reason for mentioning business / voting/ other situations is that they are aware that incorrect outcomes are not acceptable, and as such take steps to prevent this.

Football, singularly, seems unprepared to even acknowledge,(Zidane / Materazzi apart) that major decisions are regularly being gotten wrong, and results affected, and even less prepared (if that is possible) to even try to find a way to improve things. Sure, they are going to trial video technology in next year's FA Cup, but Zidane's infamous headbut was nearly 10 years ago, and it is shameful that virtually no progress has been made in the interim.

EVERY penalty, red card, even goal should be subject to review by either the match referee, the 4th official, or a video official / panel situated in the stand etc. I am not sure of the ins and outs as to how this would work, and frankly i couldn't care. Equally i couldn't care if the game takes longer to complete, (within reason). I care not in the slightest that this will turn the upper echelons of the football pyramid into a totally different game to that played on Hackney marshes on a Sunday, i don't pay £1000's per year to watch that (significantly more if you include TV /satellite subscriptions.

Without being dramatic, i am becoming increasingly disillusioned with being "cheated" on virtually a weekly basis. I don't know how far away the day is, but if something is not done, there will come a day when i say enough is enough (and i don' believe i will be alone. Would you continue to pay good, hard earned money for a product that increasingly appears corrupted? if it wasn't our beloved City? are the football authorities even aware of the level of disillusionment, or do they simply not care? I suspect the latter, and as long as the punters continue to pay, they will continue to take the piss!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.