Cosmic inflation: 'Spectacular' discovery hailed

dazdon

Cosmic inflation: 'Spectacular' discovery hailed

Scientists say they have extraordinary new evidence to support a Big Bang Theory for the origin of the Universe.

Researchers believe they have found the signal left in the sky by the super-rapid expansion of space that must have occurred just fractions of a second after everything came into being.

It takes the form of a distinctive twist in the oldest light detectable with telescopes.

The work will be scrutinised carefully, but already there is talk of a Nobel.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26605974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26605974</a>

Leave it to the BBC to say:

"New science discovery: Here's no real information about it"

This is actually quite a large deal. One physicist wrote that outside of finding life on another planet or directly detecting dark matter this is the biggest near-present discovery we could have made.

To simplify it grossly, this is pretty much the first observable evidence for inflation in the early observable Universe. Indirect evidence, but it meets enough predictions that we can start focusing on exactly which model of inflationary theory is the correct one.

Damocles said:
Leave it to the BBC to say:

"New science discovery: Here's no real information about it"

This is actually quite a large deal. One physicist wrote that outside of finding life on another planet or directly detecting dark matter this is the biggest near-present discovery we could have made.

To simplify it grossly, this is pretty much the first observable evidence for inflation in the early observable Universe. Indirect evidence, but it meets enough predictions that we can start focusing on exactly which model of inflationary theory is the correct one.

I thought this might have been of some interest to you m8.

Obviously the background of this information and the impact on the world of physics is lost on the casual reader but I thought that the BBC could have had a bigger piece on it if it was as important as it initially sounds.

Nice to have a good news story for a change.
Whilst I only have a very rudimentary understanding of "Inflation" I guess this will focus future research which can only be a good thing.

Skashion said:
Give people time to write something for fuck sake. We'll get a lot more over the next week or so.

To be fair it was leaked yesterday, so many of the big news agencies should really have had something prepped.

A3I1sMU.jpg

That's a decent explanation

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.