Cost of building/extensions?

BigOscar

I am making the leap to buying the home I hopefully will live in for the foreseeable future and start expanding my family, so was wondering if any blues are familiar with the vague costs of adjustments I'd want to potentially make, in order to get a bit of an estimate as to how much I should value work already done on houses I look at. Mainly it's 3 things I'd ideally like, but don't know how much they'd cost to get done.

First would be a small single story extension out the back. Nothing fancy, just for a kitchen/utility room extension ideally so I could use the backroom as a second living space instead of a kitchen/diner. A lot of the houses in the area I'm looking have them and I was wondering how much that would cost, so if I went for a house without it I could budget the expense.

Second would be a small dormer window in the top floor to make the attic into an extra bedroom. Again, probably half the houses in the area have it so I doubt it's too expensive, but again, would like to know how much it's worth. Those massive dormer's are getting popular around here as well where they extend the entire top floor almost, but they look significantly more expensive as you are redoing the entire roof on that side.

Third would be a second bathroom, directly above the main bathroom. Just a small one for an extra toilet and sink, nothing much.

Obviously I know the price is hugely variable, but just a vague guide as to how much each would set me back would be incredibly helpful. I'd do most of the decorating/interior work myself but obviously the structural/electrical/water stuff I'd have to get someone in for.

If you look at what House's have sold for in the street that you are interested in you will be able to sort out the values that House's with extensions go for and see if it makes sense to buy one already done

If you look at what House's have sold for in the street that you are interested in you will be able to sort out the values that House's with extensions go for and see if it makes sense to buy one already done
I had a go at that but it's tough as every house seems to have had a different combination of things done to it, combined with it being a strange road with house prices increasing depending on whether you are at the bottom of the hill or ther top.

My reckoning is an extension is probably £15k ish, maybe 20k, whereas the Dormer is a lot less depending on how big it is, but the ever helpful internet has them at between £1.5k and £20k, which is not a hugely helpful estimate!

Small thing £10k,
Bigger one £15k
Quite big £20k.

Whenever you do this you end up needing to mess with your electrics and plumbing so if its in good order add a little. If it all needs fully re-doing anyway at a load more.

Plus what are you using the room as - A kitchen is £5 - £15k as a rough guide. If you are just going to put carpet down then £500.

I am making the leap to buying the home I hopefully will live in for the foreseeable future and start expanding my family, so was wondering if any blues are familiar with the vague costs of adjustments I'd want to potentially make, in order to get a bit of an estimate as to how much I should value work already done on houses I look at. Mainly it's 3 things I'd ideally like, but don't know how much they'd cost to get done.

First would be a small single story extension out the back. Nothing fancy, just for a kitchen/utility room extension ideally so I could use the backroom as a second living space instead of a kitchen/diner. A lot of the houses in the area I'm looking have them and I was wondering how much that would cost, so if I went for a house without it I could budget the expense.

Second would be a small dormer window in the top floor to make the attic into an extra bedroom. Again, probably half the houses in the area have it so I doubt it's too expensive, but again, would like to know how much it's worth. Those massive dormer's are getting popular around here as well where they extend the entire top floor almost, but they look significantly more expensive as you are redoing the entire roof on that side.

Third would be a second bathroom, directly above the main bathroom. Just a small one for an extra toilet and sink, nothing much.

Obviously I know the price is hugely variable, but just a vague guide as to how much each would set me back would be incredibly helpful. I'd do most of the decorating/interior work myself but obviously the structural/electrical/water stuff I'd have to get someone in for.

story extension approx £35k plus Vat. Plus new kitchen if you need a new kitchen as well

dorma conversion. 25ish plus VAT. could cost more if you need to drop your ceilings on 1st floor as you’ll need to sort those rooms out and decorate as well.

Is your 2nd bathroom going in the loft?

We had single story brick extension, proper roof, skylights, toilet/shower room on the back of an end terrace. Mate did it and charged 18K. We got vat off materials under vat/disability relief. It's smart.

story extension approx £35k plus Vat. Plus new kitchen if you need a new kitchen as well

dorma conversion. 25ish plus VAT. could cost more if you need to drop your ceilings on 1st floor as you’ll need to sort those rooms out and decorate as well.

Is your 2nd bathroom going in the loft?
Yeah I'd think so, if the house layout allowed it. As far as I can tell, most of them would have space for it in the eaves on the front side if I didn't mind a lack of height there (which I wouldn't for essentially a WC) and I'd only need to stick a velux in on the front I think. A few I've looked at have large built in wardrobes in that space that look like they'd make up most of the room needed, only needing maybe another foot or two out of the attic room. (which would be a third bedroom that is a long way from being needed just yet)

I don't think I'd need to drop the ceilings for the dormer, as it's been a pretty common conversion all the way up the road without much issue. Even those new giant full length dormers seem to be going in no problem.

Ideally I'll buy a house with at least either the extension or the dormer already done, but it's good to know the value of them and which to prioritise. (I think the dormer, the extension seems more straightforward and more customisable to my needs)

We had single story brick extension, proper roof, skylights, toilet/shower room on the back of an end terrace. Mate did it and charged 18K. We got vat off materials under vat/disability relief. It's smart.
That sounds decent tbf, obviously I wouldn't be able to get that price but I hadn't even considered sticking the extra bathroom there. Decent option

Yeah I'd think so, if the house layout allowed it. As far as I can tell, most of them would have space for it in the eaves on the front side if I didn't mind a lack of height there (which I wouldn't for essentially a WC) and I'd only need to stick a velux in on the front I think. A few I've looked at have large built in wardrobes in that space that look like they'd make up most of the room needed, only needing maybe another foot or two out of the attic room. (which would be a third bedroom that is a long way from being needed just yet)

I don't think I'd need to drop the ceilings for the dormer, as it's been a pretty common conversion all the way up the road without much issue. Even those new giant full length dormers seem to be going in no problem.

Ideally I'll buy a house with at least either the extension or the dormer already done, but it's good to know the value of them and which to prioritise. (I think the dormer, the extension seems more straightforward and more customisable to my needs)

Better getting the work done yourself than paying for one already done. You'll pay a premium price. Yes, it's a pain having work done on your house, but a 15k extension could add approximately 30k to the value of the property. Up to you if you want to pay that extra 10-15k to somebody to move in hassle free, or earn that extra 10-15k yourself further down the line, when you sell the house.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.