Cover bands

I have seen quite a few and most of them are quite good, The Smiths Ltd, Think Ployd, Manc Floyd, Doors Alive, Really Hot Chilli Peppers, Furry Fighters (I am not making these up). This weekend In Prestwich there is a two outdoor festival with loads on, mostly metal but with a few others.

A good friend of mine has a Pink Floyd cover band called `Think Floyd' they'll be playing in Sale mid October.....check them out and tell me if they're any good.

They are bloody fantastic!

I have seen them at Buxton Opera House and in a sweaty covers band pub in Ashton.
Both times they were superb.

Couple of years ago saw the stoned roses, they were pretty good.

Not sure if classed as a cover, but if you ever get the chance to see patelvis, do it

Couple of years ago saw the stoned roses, they were pretty good.

Not sure if classed as a cover, but if you ever get the chance to see patelvis, do it
Patelvis is quality, and I'm not even into Elvis but yeah great night out.
The thing with most cover bands is that obviously they are not technically as good as the real thing so don't be a critic about it, just have a few beers and enjoy the songs. Aussie Pink Floyd are an exception to that as they are a great band, their gigs are like proper gigs in their own right. Saw the clone roses recently and they were good, enjoyed it. There was even some pre-gig fisticuffs for that authentic feel, client boon spun a few records too.

The Musical Box, much more than a cover band, they faithfully recreated Genesis concerts using original props and slides provided under licence by Genesis. They also used original 70's instruments and amplifiers to faithfully recreate the concert sound of that era. I saw them twice, firstly at the Apollo to present The Selling England By The Pound tour and then later they presented the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway show. Stunning. A trip back in time.

The Australian pink floyd are better live imo than pink floyd. The Barron Knights were brilliant!

I've seen the real Pink Floyd twice ie Dave Gilmour, Roger Waters, Rick Wright and Nick Mason in their heyday 1977 and 1980.

They were awesome the best shows I've ever seen. Visually breath taking only ever matched by two other bands firstly Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow and secondly Rush.

I saw the the Aussie Pink Floyd at Colne Municiple hall about 10 years ago and they were ok, and I suppose if you never got to see the real deal then they might have filled a gap in your life.

I couldn't be arsed to see the Gilmour led Floyd at Maine Road in 1989, or Earls Court in 1994, as I had seen the real deal twice.

When did you see the real Pink Floyd?

I'd be interested to know, and more importantly did you record the show?

Last edited:
I've seen the real Pink Floyd twice ie Dave Gilmour, Roger Waters, Rick Wright and Nick Mason in their heyday 1977 and 1980.

They were awesome the best shows I've ever seen. Visually breath taking only ever matched by two other bands firstly Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow and secondly Rush.

I saw the the Aussie Pink Floyd at Colne Municiple hall about 10 years ago and they were ok, and I suppose if you never got to see the real deal then they might have filled a gap in your life.

I couldn't be arsed to see the Gilmour led Floyd at Maine Road in 1989, or Earls Court in 1994, as I had seen the real deal twice.

When did you see the real Pink Floyd?

I'd be interested to know, and more importantly did you record the show?
Ed, I saw the Floyd just before they issued wish you were here at Edinburgh's Usher Hall so must have been 73 or 74. They were good but not great. I have seen Oz Pink Floyd a couple of times and I stand by my original comments - they were better live. Neither bands stand comparison as live acts to Led Zeppelin, Yes, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, The Who or The Stones all of whom I have seen live. Didnt see Deep Purple as I wa not particularly partial. Dont feel I have huge gaps in my life musically..:-)

Last edited:
Firstly, a Cover band is totally different to a tribute band. Covers have been around for decades playing, well covers of other bands songs. Some good, great even, others shite ... but always been a market for them, especially in pubs.

Tribute bands are more recent ... think I saw my first in 90's in The Witchwood, The Morones (guess ..) Again expertise varies, but some can be every bit as good as the original, Ultimate Eagles being one, all members can sing and harmonise as good as the Eagles, and are all pro musicians from various bands doing it 'for fun'.
Seen many over the years, and love them meself ... as for 'validity' .... I know music snobs hate them, but then shouldn't they also hate classical orchestras like The Halle, The Royal Philharmonic etc too ... at the end of the day they are 'just tributes' too ....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.